SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Deli folding over bag and attaching label
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deli folding over bag and attaching label Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Why do they do this. They take a perfectly good ziploc type bag, fold it over and apply the label over the fold. Inevitably this tears the bag when trying to open it and the cheese dries out unless I use a new ziploc. Just put the label on the outside and be done!

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Deli fresh, I agree
Deli pre-packaged, I suppose it's an anti-tamper 'seal'

Luckily, ours, HEB, has a perforated zipper top bag, and usually gets a clean tear without damaging the bag.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Why do they seal the top of the bag? Because some assholes will remove product from the bag, then complain that the deli counter person cheated on weighing.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Used to do that at Publix, now they don't since he bags have zip type locks.

Agree folding it over just tears up the bag, ask them not to the next time you order deli sliced meat or cheese.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my pet peeves as well. I'm paying 10-12 dollars a pound for BoarsHead deli.
When I get home I rip the bag open, wrap it in my own wax paper and seal it in my own ziplock.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Why do they do this. They take a perfectly good ziploc type bag, fold it over and apply the label over the fold. Inevitably this tears the bag when trying to open it and the cheese dries out unless I use a new ziploc. Just put the label on the outside and be done!
Sounds like you shop at Kroger. This is their MO and it’s VERY annoying……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Ooooh I hate that!

The grocery store I frequent now doesn't do that, but most of the ones I've used in the past do. Always ruins the bag. So wasteful.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Just carefully tear the label. It's not hard I do it all the time and never ruin the bag.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Why do they seal the top of the bag? Because some assholes will remove product from the bag, then complain that the deli counter person cheated on weighing.

It also works as a makeshift tamper evident container as they (corporate) are afraid of the liability of someone adding something that's not supposed to be there (if you catch my drift). Not that the deli guys/gals are really aware of that (or even care about it, for that matter) past "open bag == trash per company policy."

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah they do it for tampering but if I’m ordering at the counter I see no need. I also try to tear the label carefully but it seems the bags are thinner these days. They also seem to be pulling the fold tighter so hard to get under the label to tear.

Interestingly the supermarket reached out to me after I commented on this and said they know this is an issue and are actually working on new packaging that will fix it. We shall see.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Similar annoyance: Publix grocery stores have in-house bakeries, some good bread (although they have discontinued the excellent onion rye).

They put the label on the side of the plastic bag, making it difficult to re-seal the bag with a twist tie or plastic clip.

I can sometimes get around this by selecting an un-sliced loaf instead of a pre-sliced loaf, and asking the bakery dude(tte) to run it through the slicer. When they do that, they usually put it in a new bag and print a new label. I ask him / her (I limit the choice of pronouns) to please put the new label on the bottom of the bag instead of the side.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post