SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fee to take an optional online boaters safety course
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fee to take an optional online boaters safety course Login/Join 
posted
We have family who have boats and I was thinking of having one myself in the upcoming years. I thought it would be a good idea to take a boaters safety course.

Anyone born before 1982 is exempt and the safety class is NOT required. There is an online class offered and I figured why not, safety first right! Sign up and see there is a $40 fee for the online class! WTF so your telling me I can pay $40 to take a safety class that is not required. I know $40 is not much money but it still pisses me off. You would think it would be encouraged to take an optional safety course. Screw it why bother, Ill use the time I could be learning about safety and take a nap instead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Anyone born after 1982 is exempt...

What's that about?

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Anyone born after 1982 is exempt...
What's that about?
They are younger, so they already know everything. If you have kids, you understand.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've been hearing that joke for years too. But gov't agencies don't generally buy into that sort of stuff. So why are they excluding people under ~40 from taking the course? Seems to me it would be those people, at least the ones under 30, who need it the most.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perhaps more likely that people born before 1982 aren’t required to take the course.

Posts: 27150 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Perhaps more likely that people born before 1982 aren’t required to take the course.

Yes. Sorry born before 1982.

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Seems kinda arbitrary... What does a 42 year old automatically know about boating safety that a 41 year old doesn't?

Posts: 32993 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Seems kinda arbitrary... What does a 42 year old automatically know about boating safety that a 41 year old doesn't?

Clearly, as much a 21 year old does about guns and beer than an 18 year old.... Razz

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I can see a fee for an in-person instructor but not for online.

https://www.boatus.org/virginia/

Above is free. Apparently.

Just search for what you want, and get certified.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5190 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Although we're Texas residents, my wife and I have both taken free online boating safety classes from other states. I did the Florida one several years ago and she did Wisconsin earlier this month. Those were both states that we planned to rent boats.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1999 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet your state's natural resources department or such offers a free boater safety course....

Or you might want to check out the U.S. Power Squadron .....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The BoatUS one is free, but not all states accept it. Cost me $90 to have my kids take one that Michigan approves of. Oh well. The class seems to be long on rules and regs, but short on practical safety.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you learn one thing that saves you some money, something that might make your life easier or save a life,
$40.00 ain't even a drop in the bucket.
It's going to be great when you say that you did the right thing because you learned it through the safety course.

Heck I will send you $7.00 if you are in a financial pinch.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
My daughter just took the free online course from BoatUS. After she passed, I paid a little extra because she wanted the card that she could show to the DNR Police if needed. All she really needs is the digital copy. There is no practical test. She gets that instruction from me.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
…There is no practical test. She gets that instruction from me.

Same for my kids. For example, before they sailed our 14’ sailboat by themselves, we practiced capsizing and righting it in deep water.

The OP seems to be new to boating and there’s more to safety out on the water than a three hour online class can do.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

we practiced capsizing and righting it
The first part doesn't need that much practice. Ask me how I know. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
True. My kids have affectionately named our little sailboat the Death Trap. I capsized it last week anchored in three feet of water. Not on purpose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It's just a way to phase in the requirement over time. serveral states have done this. NC requires a boaters saftey course for those born after 88.

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the free BoatUS course. I found it to be very good and I've been around boats (small pleasure craft) my entire life. I took the course to qualify to drive for a charity event and I learned a few things (acutally a lot about saltwater boating, but I've already forgotten it as I never boat on the coast).

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post