SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The SIGforum “Ignore” list doesn’t work as I expected
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SIGforum “Ignore” list doesn’t work as I expected Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
There are a couple of members that initiate many threads in The Lounge, many of a negative nature. Needing a break from negativity I put both of them in my “Ignore” list. I’d never done that before. I was careful with spelling and case.

Afterwards, I switched to The Lair, then back to The Lounge, to be sure of a refreshed view. But all of their threads were still visible to me.

Maybe the “Ignore” list only works for threads initiated after “Ignore” list additions?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ignore only works on replies. If the person on your ignore list starts a thread, you will always see the post that started the thread.

Also, you don't have to manually enter members you want to add to the Ignore list. Simply left-click on the username and choose "Add [user] to my Ignore List."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Funny, all of my years here, not once have I used the ignore function. I guess nobody really riled me up that bad, and Para does a pretty good job on keeping the riff raff out anyways.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you will see their posts should they post in your threads or someone else's threads.

I think there is an "ignored user" or "ignored post" message.

If someone quotes them, you will see the quoted material.

It makes sense to think they would be totally hidden from view though.

It does an excellent job if you accidentally ignore yourself. It'll throw you for a loop until you realize the good. Been there done that bought the shirt. Big Grin

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Is this like the search function … Wink

(hides behind the couch)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Also, other people will quote them anyway, so it’s not that easy to ignore someone.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I now see that my guess about the nature of the “Ignore” list was simply wrong.

BTW – I think that the SIGforum search functions work quite well. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Quoted or not, use your personal Ignore function. Just don't read the damn thing.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
There is some member named Para who I keep forgetting to put on my ignore list. It's like he thinks he owns this place!! Anyone else have that problem? Big Grin Big Grin

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't use this feature. It would be a bore if there were no conflict. There is nobody so obnoxious that I feel the need to. On the occasions when there are, they tend to self-immolate.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been here a few years and never used it,plain silly for a grown man to act this way.
A better way to handle it is not open your mouth in threads that might hurt your sensitive feelings .
Now put me on that list, I will loose lots of sleep about that

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have been here a few years and never used it,plain silly for a grown man to act this way.
A better way to handle it is not open your mouth in threads that might hurt your sensitive feelings .
Now put me on that list, I will loose lots of sleep about that

Although I’ve decided not to use the Ignore List at the current time, I thought that it could be of some use. But you’ve “been here a few years”, so you undoubtedly know more about it than I do. I yield to your judgment and I thank you for the advice.

Since you’re knowledgeable about this matter you ought to post in The Office. Tell them that you think that they blundered when they created the Ignore List facility because its use is “plain silly” (as you poignantly put it), so the facility ought to be removed.

We’re fortunate to have folks like you keeping a close eye on SIGforum operations, and I’m grateful to you for doing so.

Serious about crackers

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
^

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Quoted or not, use your personal Ignore function. Just don't read the damn thing.

Genius!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to what negative threads. I have not seen any in particular. Again I just do not click on threads that do not interest me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it's a rule in this forum and I follow it but...... I put this in the same category as click bait titles. Guys bitch about this all the time, while at the very same time opening the very click bait title that they then want to bitch about. For fuck's sake, don't open click bait titles if that is your griddle sizzler. Don't do it. lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What is this thread about?

I can't see any posts in it. Razz

Bet you can't see this one, either. Razz

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yes to check if your ignore works on replies let me know if you can see this.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes. I think we found the sigforum ignore expert. All questions need to be directed to Richard, apparently he has everybody on ignore. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I know it's a rule in this forum and I follow it but...... I put this in the same category as click bait titles. Guys bitch about this all the time, while at the very same time opening the very click bait title that they then want to bitch about. For fuck's sake, don't open click bait titles if that is your griddle sizzler. Don't do it. lol

Yes! I have been accused of having a click bait title. I’m not selling anything, I don’t GAF about my post count so ……what? Just don’t open the thread!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post