SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Who is the moron that started the “thank you for the question” trend?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is the moron that started the “thank you for the question” trend? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I watch these videos of hearings and as soon as I hear them say Thank you for the question, I know bullshit is about to spew.
They literally thank people for every question. Who actually thinks this is a good idea??
And who started this nonsense?

One of many examples
[IMG] [/IMG]

I also love the absolute hypocrisy in this video. Cotton points out how Kroger does not want their employees to use the terms Sir or Ma’am and the CEO who acknowledges he knows about the policy and tries to explain the policy of not using sir or ma’am and he refers to Cotton as Sir!!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Who actually thinks this is a good idea??
And who started this nonsense?

I’m not sure but I just wanted to thank you for the questions sir

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They're trying to burn time.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same dummies who want gun control?

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yep, gives them time to think of an answer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be argumentative but I don't think it is to give them time to think of an answer. They are going to give a nonsensical answer regardless. It is to eat the congressman's time. They are allotted a certain amount of time apiece and by bloviating unnecessarily they are running the clock on the time they can actually be questioned by the other side.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not sure when or from whom it started, but it does annoy the ever-loving crap outta me, too. IMHO, it makes the respondent look/sound like a blithering dolt. Doesn’t matter if I agree with them or not. I guess they THINK it makes them sound intelligent, educated, and/or polite…on the contrary.

And yes…I believe it’s a time-wasting mechanism to aid in formulating a response. It’s like a guy repeating an accusatory question from the Mrs. several times when the next sounds uttered from his cake hole are going to be fabrications of the truth. Same strategery…… Razz

I don’t ever remember Kavenaugh or Barrett thanking anyone for roasting their nuts on an open fire during their Spanish Inquisitions. Please correct me if I’m wrong…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did team debate in high school and for a bit at University. During cross examination, when you are asked a question, your brain starts putting together information and forming what is supposed to be an intelligent response. As para said earlier, yes, you are trying to burn time. You are trying to burn time with a low resource reflex response to give your brain time to put together your real response. It's the same thing as people saying um, you know, and well.
In high school, our debate coach had a long stick and when you were speaking, if you used a filler like um or you know, she would tap you on the shoulder with the stick which caused the rest of the class to giggle. After about a week, you didn't use fillers anymore.

Posts: 660 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Should tell them they will be held in contempt if they use that phrase.

With the exception of Jim Jordan turning Candace Owens loose once upon a time, I doubt they are thankful for being questioned by a congressional committee.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
"That's a great question" folks looking for diversity in their lead in.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12414 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not sure but I just wanted to thank you for the questions sir

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Besides burning time as Para said, it sounds like a real suck up. It would irritate me. I might ask them why they thought they needed to thank me.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
First usage probably dates earlier, but I think I first heard that phrase during Supreme Court confirmation hearings, back in the '80s.

Buying time to think, with obsequious, overly-respectful-at-least-on-the-surface verbiage that means nothing. Quite useful tactic in the right spots, if annoying to the listener.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Get asked thirty questions, take an extra three seconds answering each question = 90 seconds

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It irks the shit out of me too. Mad

Tired of yelling at the TV saying STFU and answer the effing question.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd like to someday see someone do the exact opposite and tell the Senator or whatever other govt type posing the question that they think their question was the stupidest they've ever heard and shame on them for asking it.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
First usage probably dates earlier, but I think I first heard that phrase during Supreme Court confirmation hearings, back in the '80s.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
JFK would never use such stupid verbiage, but he had a number of pat phrases he used in press conferences. He would rotate them as needed. Sometimes he would tell a joke first, as would Reagan. The current group is not that verbally facile.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Uh, thank you for the question. I can't say because that is still under investigation.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two answers I'd love to hear instead:

"That was a stupid question."

or

"I'm sorry, was there a question somewhere in that dissertation you just gave?"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall…

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to do a 'Mark Twain' and tell a shaggy dog story.... but I'm sure a lot of the time their responses are pretty much the same....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post