SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When do slurs become slurs?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When do slurs become slurs? Login/Join 
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Words have no intentions good or bad, it's the user who speaks those words and their intent in the use.

Words ALWAYS have an intention and written words ALWAYS leave that interpretation open to the reader.

Posts: 424 | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
When do slurs become slurs?

When the intent is to harm that person.
When it is meant as a good natured joke then it is the offended that needs to grow up and let a joke be a joke.
Sticks and stones yadda, yadda.
BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HURT YOU.
(Unless you're a giant pussy)

Words can and DO hurt as much as a knife, or a .45..

Anyone who does not understand is a complete jackhat/turd with an IQ of less than .225 -- But you get the joke and are laughing - right SH!!!!

Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And let’s not get started on “America” which was derived from the name of one of those evil Italian explorers.

My favorite part of "Native American", the irony.

I used to drive a coworker crazy teasing him that I was more African American than him. (black guy, while most of his political views aligned with liberals, some of his social views didn't).
My great grandfather left Sicily and moved to north Africa for some years, where some of the children were born. I'd tell him "Your ancestors left Africa in the 19th century. Mine left in the 20th century, I'm 100 years closer to being African than you are." Wink

Of course his view was that North Africa isn't Africa. (I guess much the same way he felt black people couldn't be racist) Roll Eyes

Umm.. Native American and African American and NOT THE SAME... What is the point here?

The irony (or just illogical comment) is really in your post... HMMMMM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Words ALWAYS have an intention and written words ALWAYS leave that interpretation open to the reader.

quote:
Anyone who does not understand is a complete jackhat/turd with an IQ of less than .225 -- But you get the joke and are laughing - right SH!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said. Those that do not understand lack empathy and are usually voted most likely to be found dead on a bar room floor. That is how fights start.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why is the reader's interpretation of something more important than the intention of the speaker?

And even if the interpretation and intention are consistent, what damage does it cause subject to a reasonable man at arm's length type of standard? How do you measure it?

And even if the damage can be quantified, is the reader truly able to cast the first stone? Nobody is always just a receiver. If you give, you better take as well. Otherwise the reader is just another hypocrite - laws for you but not for me.

Should we not have slurs. Sure. But it's pretty low on the priority list of things we need to eradicate. People should just grow a pair until it's a higher priority.

I read some headline about Stanford working on offensive words or something to that effect. For fuck's sake - I think running out of water is a tad more important, especially with millions illegally crossing the border annually. Maybe they can find some of the worthless idiots to figure out how to increase the watershed and water supply before trying to figure out how to avoid offending some flower with some word that's open to interpretation. Or maybe not. Emotions are more important than water here.

Here's the thing. I, like most, have been subject to slurs in the course of my life. But I've developed the self confidence in myself to shrug it off. Is it unpleasant - perhaps in the mood it creates. But it does me no damage. I know who I am. If the slur is factual but derogatory, so what. If the slur is not factual, so what, I know who I am. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who doesn't know me. Now, if your actions prevent my liberty, that may escalate. But I don't care what slurs someone might send my way anymore than a dog's bark.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UDDwaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

When the intent is to harm that person.
When it is meant as a good natured joke then it is the offended that needs to grow up and let a joke be a joke.
Sticks and stones yadda, yadda.
BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HURT YOU.
(Unless you're a giant pussy)

Words can and DO hurt as much as a knife, or a .45..

Anyone who does not understand is a complete jackhat/turd with an IQ of less than .225 -- But you get the joke and are laughing - right SH!!!!

I see which category you fit into.
Remember kids. If you're easily offended, you're easily controlled.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UDDwaine:

Umm.. Native American and African American and NOT THE SAME... What is the point here?

No they are not. Two different topics, hence the large space between them. But thanks for playing..

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why is the reader's interpretation of something more important than the intention of the speaker?

And even if the interpretation and intention are consistent, what damage does it cause subject to a reasonable man at arm's length type of standard? How do you measure it?

And even if the damage can be quantified, is the reader truly able to cast the first stone? Nobody is always just a receiver. If you give, you better take as well. Otherwise the reader is just another hypocrite - laws for you but not for me.

Should we not have slurs. Sure. But it's pretty low on the priority list of things we need to eradicate. People should just grow a pair until it's a higher priority.

I read some headline about Stanford working on offensive words or something to that effect. For fuck's sake - I think running out of water is a tad more important, especially with millions illegally crossing the border annually. Maybe they can find some of the worthless idiots to figure out how to increase the watershed and water supply before trying to figure out how to avoid offending some flower with some word that's open to interpretation. Or maybe not. Emotions are more important than water here.

Here's the thing. I, like most, have been subject to slurs in the course of my life. But I've developed the self confidence in myself to shrug it off. Is it unpleasant - perhaps in the mood it creates. But it does me no damage. I know who I am. If the slur is factual but derogatory, so what. If the slur is not factual, so what, I know who I am. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who doesn't know me. Now, if your actions prevent my liberty, that may escalate. But I don't care what slurs someone might send my way anymore than a dog's bark.

Something I've noticed in my life is that Californians "interpret" what you say and "read between the lines" to get what you "really meant."

Not all of them, mind you, but a large number and they're absolutely certain they're right.

I can't explain why they do it, but they do. I've discussed it with other non Californians who have spent a lot of time in that state and they have seen the same thing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Something I've noticed in my life is that Californians "interpret" what you say and "read between the lines" to get what you "really meant."

I've noticed that women do that too. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

When someone gets their panties in a wad.

For me it is usually after my 3rd drink..

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something usually becomes a slur when the person on the receiving end is able to somehow benefit from it . They love the negative attention and being a victim has it's perks .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Just experienced “Chew them down” in talking with a neighbor. I tried that at a Jewish-owned company many years ago, and had my lower parts were handed to me By the owner.

I had no idea of the historical implications of that adapted phrase.

Live and learn - but everyone has to be more tolerant these days. If only one could speak without a PC filter - and if it without malice, let it go Already

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post