SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yard Sales
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yard Sales Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Every few years I get sucked into having a yard sale by the spousal unit. Problem is, 95% of the shit we need to get rid of CAME from somebody else’s yard sale.... either that or it was crap from a thrift store, or on sale and “such a bargain”! By the time many days of gathering, sorting, pricing, and then attempting to sell shit... well, it adds up to a HUGE waste of time and energy!!!

Now if we had quality stuff to sell that would fetch more than $1.00 or so each, then it MIGHT be worth it. But no, it doesn’t work that way around here! This coming Friday and Saturday (both expected to be hot and wet) is going to be one of those times to curse a blue streak!!!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too late for you this week, but I find Freecycle helps to reduce the quantity of stuff that would otherwise end up in a yard sale.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I've only had one yard sale, clearing out the house after my mom passed. After a very long day, there seemed to be two kind of people, those that thought I was a fool for asking too much or a fool for not asking enough.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I slowly throw crap away that we don't need

What she don't know........

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

.....might just get you killed later [when she finds out]. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bronica - how much do you and your wife usually take in from one of your garage sales? $100 -$150? Plus, if yours is like any other garage sale, there are many items that don't sell and have to be donated anyway, or you tell the last few people of the day "Five bucks and all that shit is yours." - am I right?

Rather than waste the time and effort to gather, sort, and attempt to sell to people that will haggle to take $0.25 off a $1.00 item worth $5.00, I have an alternative.

Not being married I don't know how well this would fly, but what if when all the garage sale items were gathered you do a quick ballpark estimate of what the total income might be based on past experiences and offer your wife that amount minus the $25 surcharge for your time and labor to load all the stuff in the truck and deliver it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, Humane Society, etc. Would that even be a possible option with your spouse?

Having helped others with their yard sales over the years, each time reinforced my decision to never have one of my own. Plus, a garage sale attracts a fair number of people that I wouldn't want to be around in any circumstance, let alone inviting them to my home for any reason.

I empathize with your angst, brother.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't have 'em, I don't stop at 'em and I STILL hate them for one simple reason: Traffic.

Here's a hint for ya, Scooter: If you don't have enough room for off highway/road/street parking THEN DON'T HAVE A FUCKING YARD SALE!

I've lost track of how many times I've had to stop and wait for oncoming traffic because some toothless, mouth-breathing booger-eating moron has parked with half of their rattle-trap Suburban parked in the traffic lane or their Great Aunt Norma (E. Norma Sass) toddling out from between cars or some superannuated blue hair pulling out without looking.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Bill. do what I do. I rent a roll off dumpster every other year and purge. I make my wife and kids throw shit away that hasn't been touched, stacked, saved, etc. Clothes go to the local homeless shelter we have picked for our charity. Everything else gets put in the roll off and carried away. I don't have to carry it off, no one rummaging through my stuff, scoping out my house, sizing up my family, etc.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Never stop at yard sales for the most part. We donate what we don’t need anymore. We don’t really need more crap, lol.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've never had a yard/garage sale. When we moved from NJ to Utah we dumped a bunch of stuff, sold through Craigslist or gave away. Now I'm 15 years in Utah and have accumulated a bunch of stuff, again. I'm not planning a sale, just putting it on local sales pages for free or minimum $$. My wife donates a lot of things to local charities and we ask local church folks if there are people who can use some of the items.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Except for Tupperware. They know exactly how many pieces of Tupperware are in that huge closet.

And, if just one item is missing, there will be hell to pay.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex-GF was the wizard of yard sales. Had one a couple of times a year and always made around 500 bucks. Her secret? Beer signs, especially old neon ones. Prior to the sale, she would drive around to bars and other alcohol related establishments and ask if they had any old signs they wanted to get rid of. Her backup plan was was baby and kids clothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Bill. do what I do. I rent a roll off dumpster every other year and purge. I make my wife and kids throw shit away that hasn't been touched, stacked, saved, etc.
A roll off dumpster every two years ? That's like 10 yds minimum . Those people need an intervention .

Posts: 4052 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Bill. do what I do. I rent a roll off dumpster every other year and purge. I make my wife and kids throw shit away that hasn't been touched, stacked, saved, etc.
A roll off dumpster every two years ? That's like 10 yds minimum . Those people need an intervention .

Smile we can fill up a 6 yard dumpster with no problem. It's crazy but three teenage boys.....

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My ex-GF was the wizard of yard sales. Had one a couple of times a year and always made around 500 bucks. Her secret? Beer signs, especially old neon ones. Prior to the sale, she would drive around to bars and other alcohol related establishments and ask if they had any old signs they wanted to get rid of. Her backup plan was was baby and kids clothing.

May I marry your ex GF for the upcoming weekend??? :lol:

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill. do what I do. I rent a roll off dumpster every other year and purge. I make my wife and kids throw shit away that hasn't been touched, stacked, saved, etc. Clothes go to the local homeless shelter we have picked for our charity. Everything else gets put in the roll off and carried away. I don't have to carry it off, no one rummaging through my stuff, scoping out my house, sizing up my family, etc.

Hello Paul... it’s being held at my in-law’s house, so no “scoping out” of my stuff. But I DO like your logic!! Big Grin

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile we can fill up a 6 yard dumpster with no problem. It's crazy but three teenage boys.....

Hard to believe you have three teenage boys! Last time I was at your house, your sweet wife was pregnant with the third one!!! Yes, that’s been many years ago!!!

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't do yard sales. I either toss it or give to charity.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to believe you have three teenage boys! Last time I was at your house, your sweet wife was pregnant with the third one!!! Yes, that’s been many years ago!!!

18,17,and 13 now. The oldest solo'd an airplane 3 weeks ago and the 13 year old is becoming quite the guitar player. He played with a local band this past weekend on bass guitar. My boys are growing up!

Regards,

P.

Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Yard sales - estate sales
ooh yeah I love 'em
but, I only buy what I need so generally I don't buy much.

There are some really great deals that people under value items for and sometimes it's just timing.

It's one of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning is hop on the motorcycle and hit a dozen sales randomly. Sometimes I'll cruise through the neighborhoods with fancy homes, or just follow signs.

You never know what you'll find.

I do however dislike having them, so there is that.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post