SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    It's A Malfunction Not A Jam!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's A Malfunction Not A Jam! Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
Jam is put on toast. Carry on.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Someone whose opinion I respect, perhaps Evan Marshall, said a jam was a malfunction that couldn't be cleared by the operator, or at least not immediately.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a number of different malfunctions. Not all are jams.

The English language is notorious for having multiple meanings for the same word.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a number of different malfunctions. Not all are jams.
There are a number of different jams, too, not all of which are malfunctions.

My wife likes raspberry.

I prefer strawberry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ooooooh, yeah! All right!

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Butta-Butta-Jam!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And then there's the distinctions between Jelly, Jam and Preserves.

I much prefer preserves.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Butta-Butta-Jam!!!!

Peanut Butta - Jam.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
As long as it isn't raspberry. There's only one man who'd dare to do that.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I much prefer preserves.
Preserves was my favorite until I discovered Costco's "spread." All the preserves that I find in the store are made with high fructose corn syrup; the Costco strawberry spread is made with actual sugar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Preserves was my favorite until I discovered Costco's "spread." All the preserves that I find in the store are made with high fructose corn syrup; the Costco strawberry spread is made with actual sugar.

There are many advantages to living in Maine.

Unfortunately, Costco is not one of them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There are many advantages to living in Maine.

Unfortunately, Costco is not one of them.
I could send you some. Waddaya got to trade?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Years back, some gun scribbler (I think it was Duane Thomas) wrote something I liked, a distinction between stoppages and jams. A stoppage is something you can clear with just your hands and get back in action. A jam disables the gun until it can be taken away and worked on with tools. Most auto pistol malfunctions are the former, some revolver malfunctions (example, case slipped under the extractor star) are the latter.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

I much prefer preserves.

Apple butter. That is my jam.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well...since this thread has apparently taken a dive right into the dumpster...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Malfunction, jam, whatever. We all now what it is. It's like the folks going around looking to correct others who say "clip" instead of magazine. It gets old. But, I'll give OP credit for it, because the jam/malfunction deal has not reached the tiresome level of the clip/magazine thing. Razz

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Jam is an entirely legitimate term for a lot of malfunctions.

jam verb
jammed; jamming
Definition of jam (Entry 2 of 4)
intransitive verb

1a : to become blocked, wedged, or stuck fast
The line jammed and the boat hung useless.
b : to become unworkable when a movable part becomes blocked or stuck
the gun jammed

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If your toe gets stuck in the barrel, would that be toe jam?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
If your toe gets stuck in the barrel, would that be toe jam?
Big Grin

Ugh!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post