SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    dumping trash on the roadside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dumping trash on the roadside Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Twice a year, I pick up the trash from both sides of the US Highway that fronts our property. Usually get two large bags full of beer cans, plastic liquor bottles, cannabis containers from the state to the south as well as other random crap.

I understand that drinking drivers don't want the empties in their vehicle. It's frightening how many impaired drivers out there.

I also ride a bicycle on the gravel country roads. Very common to see all sorts of stuff dumped. After hunting season, there's a lot of hides, horns, bones etc.

As my wife says with some regularity, people suck.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As more people move into our area, we see lots more trash on the side of the streets. Those of us who have been here for 20 years have watched the roads clog up, traffic get worse, drivers worse, attitudes, tail gaters, and trasholes...

People do suck...

Posts: 23417 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I pulled a guy over once for littering while we were at a stoplight....as I’m at his window getting his license the back seat passenger rolls the window down and throws a cigarette butt out the window...on the drivers side.

When I asked for his ID he got shitty, and I calmly explained that I was going to write him a ticket too, and if he didn’t have an ID that I’d have to physically arrest him and take him in front of a magistrate and that I was sure the magistrate would hold him for ID.....

IIRC the littering ticket fine was something like $250 plus the cost of court. It was all on camera and it was glorious.

I hate a litterbug.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
When I retire, I wonder if I can volunteer for a job with local LE to just go around and write tickets like that.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
It's not only the country roadsides. You see couches and mattresses on the shoulder of the interstate in downtown Charlotte.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
When I retire, I wonder if I can volunteer for a job with local LE to just go around and write tickets like that.

I'd volunteer for that job! But I couldn't be armed: I would just shoot the assholes.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It seems to be part of the Mexican culture. They put a road in behind my lot in Loudoun County. When they started building houses along the road, the workers started dumping their garbage bags on my lot.

I went through every bag hoping to find something to get an ID, but had no luck.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I lived in West Hartford CT. To get large items like mattresses picked up, you had to call the city, pay $25 + $50 per item, and schedule with the contracted trash company to pick it up. All this great service for the tidy sum of 12k per year in property taxes no less!

Hartford on the other hand would pick up anything. Owing to this fact, the less than reputable residents would drive across the town line and just toss their shit onto the first treelawn they saw.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't see much big stuff around. The worst problem we encounter is interstate exits. Apparently people think they're being polite by waiting until they're leaving the interstate to throw out all their trash.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that the fine in Hong Kong for littering was a $500 fine or 3 months in jail which doesn’t seem like much but it is vigorously enforced..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
There is trash all over the road sides here. I think all litterbugs should all be caned, they just don't give a shit.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
We get that occasionally here. It started when a private company took over the landfill years ago. Prices quadrupled and some folks here refuse to pay that much.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post