SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $95 For A Christmas Tree This Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$95 For A Christmas Tree This Year Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife’s family has been going to this local tree farm for 35+ years now and I’ve been a part of that for the past 10.

No matter how hard I try, she will not consider going artificial even this year should should be HUGE motivator:

The trees were always $50-75 depending on size

This year? They START at $95!

And you have to cut it Confused

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let her do the cutting.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Christmas comes but once a year.. Start a tree fund jar and with deposits thru out the year the tree will be paid for next year..... Have used artifical trees for years... Our current tree has been standing in entrance hallway for the past 3 years without removal..(long story). ....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
[jediwave]This not the issue you will get divorced over.[/jediwave]

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Meh I skip the tree. The time of year is for me to remember Christ, keep him in my thoughts and prayers even more than they already are. A tree, some lights, consumer product gifts, and the fat bearded man, mean fuck all. I have never bought a tree, real, or fake, never hung lights, etc. But I have donated my time most years, volunteer work at the homeless shelter, go to Mass, etc. I’ve just turned my back on all the marketing and hoopla. I will be a 6 foot or 10 foot LED cross to stick in the front yard if I could ever find one that could be disassembled and put into a box. I’d love that. A large cross to remind folk of what the deal is really about.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 12 pound Tomcat can strip a tree of decorations in ten minutes flat. I put up a tree one year and he had lots of fun. Now I dont bother. Saved me quite a bit of money for trees and related stuff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were doing the cut your own tree for the last five years. Last year was the worst tree selection with higher prices. We ended up getting a precut tree.

I kept hearing there was a tree shortage due to covid. Its amazing how trees planted 5-7 years for harvest today were affected by covid.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen trees that are not cut, but are sold in a pot. You buy a tree that's about 3' tall for the season, then plant it in the spring. Some of the relatives do this, but I've got enough trees already.

We just have a tiny artificial LED tree that we surround with all the ornaments, etc, that we've inherited and otherwise acquired. Poor little guy is dwarfed by all the precious junk. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I set up a tree was 2010 and it was artificial.
I set it up and my daughter and ex wife decorated it.
A few years ago and a friend bought me this plastic sheet with a Christmas tree on it that hangs in the front bay window. Turn on the lights behind it and presto, Christmas tree. That's about as far as I go anymore and $95 is ridiculous.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
$95 for a tree?!?!

We went artificial years and years ago. Miss the scent of a real tree, but don't miss the hassle and the mess. And my wife is somewhat allergic to SPF pollen, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid 250 for a tree this year. We went to Lowe's and the selection was very sparse. We went up the road to the guy that has the seasonal lot that sells fireworks, pumpkins, Christmas Trees. Anyway, we felt lucky to even get a tree. We got a Noble Fir for 250.

Keep voting blue until we are starving.

Posts: 658 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went artificial about 5 years ago . No regrets . Real trees are a huge fire hazard . After Christmas , drag your tree out in the back yard and put a match to it . One of the most impressive things you'll ever see .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve been hearing that this drought we had in PA hurt a lot of these tree farms. It basically never rained from mid June to mid September this past summer.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
$95 for a tree?!?!

We went artificial years and years ago. Miss the scent of a real tree, but don't miss the hassle and the mess.

I don't celebrate Christmas but we get together for a Yule feast and part of the decor is greenery from evergreen bushes or trees. You could incorporate some of that into your tree to get that pine scent and hopefully not effect your wife's allergies.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 8 month old kitten, so there's no way in hell that we are going to put up a Christmas tree.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I paid 250 for a tree this year. We went to Lowe's and the selection was very sparse. We went up the road to the guy that has the seasonal lot that sells fireworks, pumpkins, Christmas Trees. Anyway, we felt lucky to even get a tree. We got a Noble Fir for 250.

Keep voting blue until we are starving.

Holy crap that's unreal

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have an artificial tree, a little over 12’ tall. I saw 10’ artificial sat Costco this year that were around $1000. They’re not that inexpensive. I would have died to spend that much on a tree, but mine came with the house. We sometimes cut our own in the National Forest, with the permit costing $10. However, I spend $100 in fuel to get it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was going to say 95 from 50 is to be expected. But you have to cut it down yourself??? Bah humbug!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine has it right. I’m not big on Christmas, however I respect what stands for and enjoy celebrating the holidays.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post