SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Account #s!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Account #s! Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I like to pay most of my bills by check still just to aggravate these bean counters that want everything done electronically. I think these are the same people who create your account number which they want you to put on your check.... just finished writing one for my cellphone for Verizon... 15 damn digits is my account number!

by my figuring that means they have the potential or think they need to have the potential to have: 999 TRILLION customers. What idiots come up with this?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Don't put the account number on the check. Just staple the check firmly to a copy of the bill.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I like to pay most of my bills by check still just to aggravate these bean counters that want everything done electronically. I think these are the same people who create your account number which they want you to put on your check.... just finished writing one for my cellphone for Verizon... 15 damn digits is my account number!

by my figuring that means they have the potential or think they need to have the potential to have: 999 TRILLION customers. What idiots come up with this?

My nephew works for a tech company that does business with the largest banks in the world. It isn't a secret that corporations are waiting for the day when the older generation disappears. It costs a lot more money for them to deal with checks and the fact that older people will call customer service rather than use online help. I guess calling in is much more expensive, even if the call center is in India. Point is they just don't care about you, you are a nuisance to them. I'm not trying to sound like an ass, it's just the way they think.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could use bill pay through your bank/ credit union. It's electronic for you, but the recipient still receives a paper check, you just avoid the annoyance of having to write the check yourself.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I like to pay most of my bills by check still just to aggravate these bean counters that want everything done electronically. ... just finished writing one for my cellphone for Verizon... 15 damn digits is my account number!
ISTM you're aggravating yourself as much as you are them?

quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
You could use bill pay through your bank/ credit union. It's electronic for you, but the recipient still receives a paper check, ...
We do that for everyone that doesn't take direct electronic payment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
You could use bill pay through your bank/ credit union. It's electronic for you, but the recipient still receives a paper check, you just avoid the annoyance of having to write the check yourself.

This is partially correct. If the business that receives the payment is setup in bill pay (they have to pay for that service) they get paid electronically. If they are not setup to receive electronic payment they receive a paper check.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Don't put the account number on the check. Just staple the check firmly to a copy of the bill.

Which is fine until the check gets separated from the bill, then God knows where it'll get applied.

Had something like this happen to me with a mortgage payment years ago. Bank of America somehow got the check and cashed it. Then they refused to return the money saying it must have been applied to one of my B of A accounts which is fine except I didn't have any B of A accounts.

It took a month or so to get the money back and the mortgage company waived the late charge after seeing both sides of the check in question.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often receive things stapled to one another. Even with a staple puller it takes time to separate things. It is viewed as passive aggressive behavior when it says on the envelope not to staple. I have seen clerks separate the two by tearing them apart and tossing one in the trash.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I've never put account numbers on any checks, and somehow the people who want my money have always figured it out.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huntington bank will send payment in other form like debit cards. Their discretion

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have everything I can autopay from a CC I pay off every single month. The few things that can’t use a CC, like the mortgage and insurance policies, autopay from my checking account but I only keep enough $ in the checking account to pay bills. I manually move over extra cheddar to the savings and have overdraft protection set up to dip into savings in case someone fucks up and draws too much or too early from checking. CC for most things insures nobody can scam. That’s a one call to the CC if someone fucks me. Same for the bank if someone reaches too much.

I do loathe how everyone has different rules, etc, for paying bills. I have to keep a spreadsheet and record dates, confirmation numbers, etc. Then they all email you with confirmations. The amount of email I have to delete every day is incredible.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think there will always be an ‘older generation’.

Yes, I still write a check for ‘$20 over’ at Walmart. With the electronic printing, takes no longer than a credit card.

I also like the full service checkout line, unless only one or two items.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things change. That's why you don't hitch a mule to the wagon to go into town. There are many modern, money saving conveniences. Why not just use them? I'm often frustrated by the old woman at the checkout counter searching for her checkbook, then a pen, then slowly writing out the check-all because she doesn't want to use those new fangled cards.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post