SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why can’t people answer a simple yes or no question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can’t people answer a simple yes or no question? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Customer says inside of fridge that was just delivered is damaged. I ask if all the outer packaging was intact when it arrived. She describes the interior damage. This happens NINE times. I finally had to say, “I need a yes or no answer. Was the outer packaging intact when the fridge arrived at your home?”

“Oh. Yeah it was.”

Why? Why is that so freakin difficult?! It’s all day every day. Mad

Posts: 13847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't need your life story. I need a one-word answer: "YES" or "NO." Sometimes it's like pulling teeth.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I don't need your life story. I need a one-word answer: "YES" or "NO." Sometimes it's like pulling teeth.

Pulling teeth would be easier.

Another example:
Cashier, “Are you busy? I need an override.
(This person is on the other side of the store.)
Me, “Yes, very busy. Have you called persons A, B or C yet?”
Cashier, “I called D but got no answer.”
Me, “The question was whether or not you called the people I mentioned?”
Cashier, “Fine, I’ll call them!”

Fuck. Me.

Posts: 13847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some questions do not lend them themselves to a simple yes or no. Many people expect yes or no answers to complicated matters.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
People that are very good troubleshooters and problem solvers typically ask (a series of) "yes or no" questions to solve complex problems of the person presenting them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get this A LOT at work and at home. Drives me nuts. These people aren't paying attention - they are answering a question they want to hear, not the question actually posed. If I had a nickel....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It'll be 52 years this August that I've been living with this. Usually at the end of the looong answer I ask ,"So was that a yes or a no".

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 87 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
One of the things that I’ve learned is that most people don’t listen very well.

People have been conditioned to listen so they can respond rather than listen so they can understand.

Posts: 53887 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’ve yet to meet a person who could not answer a simple yes or no question.

I have met quite a few people whose answer to a simple yes or no question I did not like.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Don't question a Women.
Ask to speak to the Man of the house, then protect yourself.

Posts: 4709 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Some questions do not lend them themselves to a simple yes or no. Many people expect yes or no answers to complicated matters.

You trying to start trouble around here? "Yes" or "No".

Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, it's done intentionally. The more emphatic you are on getting a "Yes/No" answer, the more long-winded a response you will get, just to be defiant. Classic passive/aggressive behavior.

"Thank you senator, for your question. First of all, I would like to recognize that..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Yes or no.... Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Razz

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
These people trigger my inner Al Swearingen.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5547 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a person in my work group (reports to me) who does this incessantly. I count the number of times I ask a yes/no question during a meeting, as in:

“I will ask you a fourth time… it’s a yes or no answer.”

After receiving yet another word salad that isn’t an answer, I usually end the meeting. “You’re wasting my time and most likely everyone else’s.”

He’s a productive employee, but won’t answer any question that weakens his argument. Other people in the meetings often thank me for shutting him down.

He has a law degree, but this isn’t a court room. “You can’t use the 5th amendment here.”

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
“I will ask you a fourth time… it’s a yes or no answer.”

"Thank you, Mr. mttaylor1066 for asking me the question.

In my time as a productive employee and member of your workgroup, let me say that as a productive member of your workgroup, it is my intent to be a productive member within this workgroup at all times, especially when I am being productive, as well as being a member, within the workgroup..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Kamala? That you, Kamala?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The verbal diarrhea response to a simple, straightforward yes or no question is annoying.

Equally annoying is the asshole who repeatedly replies back with a question to a simple, straightforward yes or no question. I can understand a clarifying question or two, but some people are just endlessly asking questions in order to not provide an answer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Konata got it right. They aren’t hearing the question. They are waiting to talk not to listen. I worked with a guy like that. I wanted to stick him in a room with a yes/no sign. It is so annoying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 400m,

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post