SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What’s it like to see the negative side of everything?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s it like to see the negative side of everything? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good post sigfreund! I believe to a certain degree social media…Facebook specifically was designed to piss me off and made me fixate on bullshit that truly had no bearing on my life.

The engagement that fucked up algorithm provided was probably designed to psychologically hook people (it hooked me) on a never ending cycle of rage. What impact does that have on society? I am SOOOOO glad I deleted myself from that platform (before they deleted me) and felt great once I began to focus on that which brings me joy and actually matters.

This life is too short to be pissed off and pessimistic 24/7/365. That time is better spent enjoying the finer things in life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21111 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
worked retail grocery for 35 yrs,
it was, and still may be, a very negative business,

constantly beat up for conditions, profits, what ever metric you were being measured on, both as a part timer all the way up to Store Management,

and that was just work,

John and Jane Public generally look down on anyone in the Service Industry, despite the fact that my paycheck was much better than most of them,

but that is retail, you meet a ton of good folks, and work with a lot of good hard workers, but seem to remember most of the idjits and deal with their issues

nothing like getting your ass ripped by some moron that wants you to solve a problem they created,,,

taught me how to talk to people on a different level, different , as in take control of the situation and shut down the nastiness, to fix the perceived problem in a more quiet and less stressful way,

I also learned how to put someone in their place with out ever cussing or raising my voice,

probably not a good thing to learn, but it came with the territory,

meanwhile, now in the FFL\SOT business, and generally speaking much much more stress free, much much different type of customer, (last 3 stores I managed for a national grocer were in the hood)

now, sometimes I feel the need for a Tinfoil hat, and sometimes have to work my way out of a conversation, but overall, having fun,

never considered myself too negative, more like realistic, see what could happen and try to make sure it did not,

plan you work and work you plan, was burned in my head early, as well as think of the consequences of your action, or rather , inaction, ,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s it like to see the negative side of everything?

When my wife gets up, I'll ask her. Frown

Seriously. She can't understand why the kids call and want to talk to me, especially if they're looking for advice.

She insists on telling people, especially relations, things they don't want to hear. And she's a world-class expert at finding the dark lining in silver clouds.

"Hey Mom, we won the lotto!"

"Oh dear...think of all the taxes you'll have to pay..."

When contemplating projects or ideas, it's useful to recognize the possible downsides, but to focus on them exclusively is exhausting.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh dear...think of all the taxes you'll have to pay...". PHPaul

Now that is negative!!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“What’s it like to see the negative side of everything?” [Emphasis added.]

When I started this thread, the “everything” was what I was thinking of. On the rare occasions when I answer the phone and it’s “This is Amazon …,” or “This is your credit card company …,” do I react negatively? Of course, and that’s because experience has taught me that it’s a thief on the line and not anyone from Amazon or Visa. Many situations, including jobs and personal relationships, prudently demand that we be distrustful of people and their claims, etc. But it’s hardly true that of everyone or everything. And because it’s not true of even most things or people, I genuinely wonder how it’s like to live when suspicions and distrust govern someone’s thoughts all the time, as seems to be true of some people.

That is of course somewhat of an exaggeration: No one is distrustful of all the food they eat with fears that it had been poisoned or adulterated, or they would starve to death in a short time. But believing that all fast food, for example, is unsafe to eat is probably not an unknown fear. If someone believes that, though, my first thought is Why stop there? If disease carriers are regularly spitting in our Big Macs, why not on our lettuce or grapes? If the strong, record-setting athlete couldn’t have gotten that way without drugs, why do we trust that the police officer who passed the SWAT physical fitness test won’t suddenly succumb to roid rage and murder the rest of his teammates?

Yes, there are reasons to be suspicious in certain circumstances, but if “Yeah, but …” pops into our mind every time, especially every time we’re thinking of something that most people consider to be good, what’s that like to think that way? Is it really enjoyable? Does it give us a sense of security?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“Something wonderful is about to happen!”

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I worked with two different guys that were the most negative people I have ever been around .And one of them was OCD to boot . BOTH of them ended up divorced . They were nice guys but very depressing to be around for even a short time .

Posts: 4060 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

I wonder if there is a therapy group for this .... for you and me not our wives.
OH yes there is ... the bar. Eek

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I wonder if there is a therapy group for this .... for you and me not our wives.

There's a dude at my favorite bar who's in there frequently, hiding out from his shrew of a wife.

All he does is complain loudly and annoyingly to anyone that will listen (as well as anyone who will not listen) about all of his wife's horrible personality traits and the stuff his wife does that he doesn't like.

He doesn't let up, and doesn't take a hint, and gets angry when you straight up tell him you're not interested in listening to him bitch to you about his wife.

Just a really pathetic, bitter man.

Please don't be that guy.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I grumble and grouse sometimes - OK, maybe a lot - but I try to balance it out. I had a co-worker for a time who was so negative I nicknamed him Eeyore.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

I take your point, but I've been down that road and ain't never going back.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A week without power except, not really because we have a generator and can run everything except the fridge and AC. Everyday, power has restored closer to our house.

My wife doesn’t care or see anything positive about it.

Today, right now, there are trucks up and down our street. They are setting a new pole across the street (the one the line to our house comes from). There’s new transformers being installed on the other poles and wires are being run. Wife should be happy, right? Nope. The trucks are blocking the street and she wants to go to the store.

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
What's the old saying? The pessimist thinks things can't get any worse...but the optimist believes they can.

There is a utility to negativity that is hard to deny. It is a way to avoid being let down. That usually stems from a person who has suffered repeated or severe consequences of being wrong.

What those people fail to understand is how their thoughts and actions can affect others.

I am as guilty as anyone.

One thing that has made a big improvement for me is not watching the news. I'm not oblivious to the world, I read Sigforum Wink. But I don't seek out any news channel - national or local. I have learned to understand and accept I have no bearing on what these things are doing to the world, so why am I letting these events have an effect on me?

Keep your world small. I'm working on it.

Posts: 10754 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
What's the old saying? The pessimist thinks things can't get any worse...but the optimist believes they can.

There is a utility to negativity that is hard to deny. It is a way to avoid being let down. That usually stems from a person who has suffered repeated or severe consequences of being wrong.

I often say (only partly tongue-in-cheek) that pessimism is the only rational approach - if things turn to shit, it's no more than you expected and if things go right, it's a pleasant surprise.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's the algorithm. More hits for conflict.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with a person who sucks the sunlight out of every situation. He has a decent secure job, great wife, three good kids. Complains constantly about people who cut him off in traffic. Really? Every day both to and from work? He is either sick or very tired almost every day and talks about it constantly.

Impossible to avoid him because we share assignments.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Best not to tell such a person to cheer up, just let it go. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post