SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hospital Food
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hospital Food Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
A couple years back my wife had to get jaw surgery due to her TMJ. The surgery required her mouth to be wired shut for a week. Anyway, the dinner the hospital gave her the night of the surgey was beef gravy. Thick and nasty beef gravy delivered through a syringe. Not to smart.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I just got out after 6 days, although the food was barely 'ok' I got a menu each day with 4 entree choices, and lots of sides, including a fresh salad with choice of dressing. Ice cream was available from the nursing staff along with cookies, etc. The entree's were nothing to write home about but at least I had a choice.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Report This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Kadin,
Hope you soon return home in better health.
Hospital food = classic oxymoron.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the well wishes.

Looks like I'm going to be here at least several more days. I haven't lost enough swelling and I can't go home until they're sure the treatment is working and I won't just immediately relapse. Maybe next week, maybe not.

But at least I have stopped taking the super high dose of prednisone for a month, I've been switched to an equally high dose of a chemo drug, so while it's got nasty side effects of its own, at least it won't mess with my head and mental state quite so much. And it's killed my appetite, so crappy hospital food doesn't matter as much. lol

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
I just got out after 6 days, although the food was barely 'ok' I got a menu each day with 4 entree choices, and lots of sides, including a fresh salad with choice of dressing. Ice cream was available from the nursing staff along with cookies, etc. The entree's were nothing to write home about but at least I had a choice.

Yeah, there are no choices here, you either eat what they send or nothing. Every meal comes with a note, and has since the beginning, "Please bear with us as we implement a new meal ordering system." But what does that mean and how do I order something. lol

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in the hospital I did not know that I was allowed to get a choice of meals. I found out the day of discharge that the people that brought the trays to your room and picked them up made the choices for you because it was easier on them. I had mentioned to one of the nurses that the food seemed the same every day and that is how I found out. I was glad to get out and didn't say anything. Hang in there at least you have internet.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I've asked everyone I could about how I can make a choice in meals. Even had one of the hospital dieticians come by, and they promise anything and deliver nothing on those promises. lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Believe me, I've asked everyone I could about how I can make a choice in meals. Even had one of the hospital dieticians come by, and they promise anything and deliver nothing on those promises. lol

I am not sure about the VA where you are, but sometimes if you slip em a few bucks they can manage to get you something from the cafeteria/canteen if it does not conflict with your chart orders on meals. It helps to dream of what you might get to eat when you finally get out.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am not sure about the VA where you are, but sometimes if you slip em a few bucks they can manage to get you something from the cafeteria/canteen if it does not conflict with your chart orders on meals. It helps to dream of what you might get to eat when you finally get out.

I have eaten at the cafeteria several times and even ordered Dominos. I'm not on any dietary restrictions except for low-sodium to help prevent me retaining fluids. But I don't have too much sodium in my system, they monitor it closely and adjust my supplements daily.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike729:
Hope you feel better soon. Prednisone has some very unpleasant side effects. I've had to take that stuff a few times and hated every moment of it.

It sure does. Most people are prescribed 10mg, maybe 25 at most. I'm taking 80mg/day. I am so lost and confused most days. On wed that drops to 60mg/day, but I add 150mg of Cyclophosphamide (chemo drug) which is also a massive dose and has similar side effects, except it suppresses appetite. They say I'm about 50/50 for at least some hair loss, and probably around 80% risk of permanent sterility, which doesn't bother me at all.

I had to take it when I got the worst ear infection ever, and my Eustachian tube on my right ear was totally corked up. One of the things they did was give me one run of pred. I had it before and it did the same thing it did the first time, make me not sleep. At all. For two weeks. I maybe fell asleep out of boredom, but as far as I know, I just didn't sleep. After the two weeks, I was working for my boss who was burying his brother, and just before I left for the day, it finally wore off, and on the way home, I fell asleep driving twice, scaring the hell out of me both times. When I got home, I walked in the door, let my dogs out for a couple of minutes, and then went to bed for 16 hours. Not even waking up to pee. Crazy stuff.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, there are no choices here, you either eat what they send or nothing. Every meal comes with a note, and has since the beginning, "Please bear with us as we implement a new meal ordering system." But what does that mean and how do I order something. lol

Last places I was in had decent food and some things were really great. Problem was they almost always screwed my order up. I'm one of those picky bastards, and I'm always in danger of getting a burger or something with crap on it I can't stand. In my case, this means almost anything. When I ordered breakfast, they would give me the opposite of what I ordered. They would always, always, always give me eggs of some kind. No eggs for me, they are disgusting. No coffee, no sausage, I usually ordered bacon and toast (to make a bacon sandwich), tea, some kind of potatoes, and that's about it, but it was rare I didn't get sausage, coffee, and the damn eggs. Lunch wasn't much better, they usually put ketchup or other crap on my burger, when I wrote in large letters, "NOTHING ON IT!" above where I circled it. Finally I started calling my orders in just before they served it and it did help. As time went by though, I started getting friends to bring me stuff instead. I did manage to lose some weight though, mostly because of their screwing up my orders.

Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
quote:
quote:

Last places I was in had decent food and some things were really great. Problem was they almost always screwed my order up. I'm one of those picky bastards, and I'm always in danger of getting a burger or something with crap on it I can't stand. In my case, this means almost anything. When I ordered breakfast, they would give me the opposite of what I ordered. They would always, always, always give me eggs of some kind. No eggs for me, they are disgusting. No coffee, no sausage, I usually ordered bacon and toast (to make a bacon sandwich), tea, some kind of potatoes, and that's about it, but it was rare I didn't get sausage, coffee, and the damn eggs. Lunch wasn't much better, they usually put ketchup or other crap on my burger, when I wrote in large letters, "NOTHING ON IT!" above where I circled it. Finally I started calling my orders in just before they served it and it did help. As time went by though, I started getting friends to bring me stuff instead. I did manage to lose some weight though, mostly because of their screwing up my orders.

Thankfully I'm not even a little bit of a picky eater, I'll eat nearly anything, so that's not a problem

Banned
posted Hide Post
You have no idea the free pizza and stuff I've turned down over the years because, well, I don't eat pizza, or anything else with cheese or tomatoes in it. It has to be thousands of dollars worth over my working lifetime.