SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Where's the beef?? No meat in beef stew.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where's the beef?? No meat in beef stew. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
A large can of canned beef stew in the microwave makes a good cheapie/quickie and filling hot lunch. It's cheap and makes a turd and I don't expect much else from it. But I do expect it to have at least a few chunks of beef in it. Dinty Moore (former go-to) and Armour lately have had nothing but a few tiny particles of a meat-like substance in them, pretty much nothing but a carrot and potato soup. I found a brand called "Hargis House" at a local discount/closeout grocer and it does have some beef chunks in it, for about the same price as the others.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I was going to mention something similar - ice cream.

I loved me some Breyer's Strawberry Ice Cream and decided to buy me a half gallon the other day.

First thing noted - they were able to fit a half gallon into really small container.

Second thing noted - it's no longer a half gallon.

Third thing noted - strawberries and more importantly, the lack thereof. Used to be a berry chunk per every bite or two. Now, one bite per container.

Not impressed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And Breyers is a brand you pay extra for.

When I'm in the mood for ice cream I just get the Kroger store brand. Favorite: chocolate chip.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Its cheap and makes a turd". Thats my criteria for canned goods, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Screw Breyers... abandoned them as a choice a few years back. Tillamook for the win. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with Greaters ice cream if it's available in your area.
Expensive but it's the best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just had a can of Progresso Clam Chowder.

I couldn't find any clam in it.

There were some tiny black specks in it, but I assumed those were black pepper.

Tasted blah.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Progresso anything isn't worth the can it came in. Even in the varieties that taste halfway decent, half to as much as two thirds of the can is water. It might as well be broth. I no longer buy it, even on sale.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

I loved me some Breyer's Strawberry Ice Cream and decided to buy me a half gallon the other day.

First thing noted - they were able to fit a half gallon into really small container.

Third thing noted - strawberries and more importantly, the lack thereof. Used to be a berry chunk per every bite or two. Now, one bite per container.

Not impressed.

Fourth thing. If it was Breyers, it was probably "Frozen Breakfast Dessert" not "Ice Cream", which requires a certain percent of milk fat by weight.

Breyers used to be premium ice cream. It is now a marketing ploy to squeeze money out of consumers who haven't realized they aren't what they used to be.

Publix Premium or Publix Homemade down here.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make up for the lack of meat , etc. by ramping up the advertising to convince you of how good it is .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Screw Breyers... abandoned them as a choice a few years back. Tillamook for the win. Big Grin

This!! I love their Huckleberry flavor. Oh, and yeah, screw Breyers.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Not impressed.

As noted above: Are you sure that Breyers was 'ice cream'? Most of what they make now is called a Frozen Dessert Treat... it actually does not even need to be frozen... sit the stuff out and it won't even melt.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
No “food” at the grocery store

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Publix Premium or Publix Homemade down here.

Absolutely. Publix ice cream doing the lords work.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Just had a can of Progresso Clam Chowder.

I couldn't find any clam in it.

There were some tiny black specks in it, but I assumed those were black pepper.

Tasted blah.

There was a cafeteria in a state building where I worked. Fridays featured clam chowder. My buddy claimed the cook kept one clam on string like a tea bag and dunked in the soup. Could be true.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW Whenever I buy hamburger I always fry up 1 pound (not into patties, just loose crumbles) and freeze it in a ziplock baggie.

Whenever I want to add some meat to a dish, like scrambled eggs, or a quick taco, or nachos, etc, I just pull some out and use it.

This would be good for adding to soup when it's a last minute idea.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..and perhaps it's just me, but does it seem that now when you open a can of Vienna sausages that they are about 10% smaller and packed with more broth?

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I reported on this before: I like tillamook as well but no cherries in their Dark Cherry - 3 times. Supply chain issues?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here. Have ya some of this...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Here. Have ya some of this...

Also, I just found out I made similar comments in a similar thread only a month ago. Red Face