SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife added me as an authorized user and it killed my credit score. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was married to a woman who could not understand why they wouldn't allow her to pay the minimum payment on her Visa card with her MasterCard.

After she went down the road (with the next potential victim guy) I found out about the 11 other charge accounts she had, all of which I ended up being responsible for. Next, I found out about her talents at forgery when a second mortgage (I knew nothing about) on my house was about to go into foreclosure.

Six years to recover from that little experience.

Try not to be a victim.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Many years ago I was married to a woman who could not understand why they wouldn't allow her to pay the minimum payment on her Visa card with her MasterCard.

After she went down the road (with the next potential victim guy) I found out about the 11 other charge accounts she had, all of which I ended up being responsible for. Next, I found out about her talents at forgery when a second mortgage (I knew nothing about) on my house was about to go into foreclosure.

Six years to recover from that little experience.

Try not to be a victim.

Wow, I was lucky. My ex only had 1 other charge account (in my name) that I didn't know about.

The strange part was that the judge gave me the account and I went down and paid it off and told them to close it. They said they'd be glad to keep it open. I told them I'd never signed for it. They said that was okay.

So I kept it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The divorce rate on first marriages is 50%, it gets worse with additional marriages. Nothing has changed in 200 years, sex and money are the causes. If anyone thinks that there's such a thing as her debt, and his debt, you're insane. Creditors don't care, the court doesn't care, you're equally responsible for each others bad decisions, that's what happens when you decide to walk the plank. My wife had a CC card in her own name but I still pay all the bills. Her family is terrible with money, all in debt with low paying jobs. I should probably make her more aware of our finances in case I get hit by a train tomorrow, she's not interested. She knows the bills all get paid, we have no CC debt, a tiny mortgage, and a three ring binder with all our investments. She runs the house and takes care of our son. I take care of the rest.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
The divorce rate on first marriages is 50%, it gets worse with additional marriages. Nothing has changed in 200 years, sex and money are the causes. If anyone thinks that there's such a thing as her debt, and his debt, you're insane. Creditors don't care, the court doesn't care, you're equally responsible for each others bad decisions, that's what happens when you decide to walk the plank. My wife had a CC card in her own name but I still pay all the bills. Her family is terrible with money, all in debt with low paying jobs. I should probably make her more aware of our finances in case I get hit by a train tomorrow, she's not interested. She knows the bills all get paid, we have no CC debt, a tiny mortgage, and a three ring binder with all our investments. She runs the house and takes care of our son. I take care of the rest.

None of this has anything to do with the situation I described in this thread. We have no debt aside from a 401k loan I took to buy our house and her car. We don’t carry balances, we just pay them off differently.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:

None of this has anything to do with the situation I described in this thread. We have no debt aside from a 401k loan I took to buy our house and her car. We don’t carry balances, we just pay them off differently.

It was a general comment, not directed 100% to you. Your thread opened up a variety of experiences.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was a general comment, not directed 100% to you. Your thread opened up a variety of experiences.

Fair enough.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Amazing how score will fluctuate based on a single statement balance. Statement paid and balance low again and, bam, score is 801. I guess I need to be less concerned with fluctuations month to month.

These go to eleven.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazing how score will fluctuate based on a single statement balance. Statement paid and balance low again and, bam, score is 801. I guess I need to be less concerned with fluctuations month to month.

We buy virtually everything on one credit card and pay it off each month.

Our score usually goes from 820 to 830 and back based on that single thing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand the games they play, and I used to get somewhat frustrated about it. I finally got to where I don’t look at it very often, and if it’s within 20 points of last month, I don’t worry about it.

I have an Apple Card that I use quite a bit. The billing period runs from the 1st to the last of the month. I’ve gotten to where I pay it off on the 15th, and the last day of the month, so I never carry a balance on billing day.

I have another card, from the credit union, with a $10,000 limit. I only use it 3 or 4 times a year, and I don’t pay it off until I get the statement, So I guess it looks I’m carrying a balance, even though I will pay it off within a couple days. So if I buy a $300.00 item on a $10,000 card, it will drop my score 10 or 15 points for a couple months.

If the scoring is that delicate, it’s just not worth my time to worry about it.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We have had a couple of accounts closed for inactivity. That raises our score exposure. Normally, my score sits about 828, we don't carry balances, but if I book a pricey vacation right when score is sampled, I get a 30+ point nick. It goes away after we pay the bill next month.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post