SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A favorite local private restaurant is going downhill...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A favorite local private restaurant is going downhill... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
A favorite restaurant of ours is going downhill. They're still a lot right but they let one of their key favorite dishes run downhill fast. I'm not sure if it was the dish that put them on the map or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, since anyone who's had that dish loves it.

Anyway a few times back I asked if I could speak with the onwer, who was in the place, and their people said no he would not speak since he was busy. So I asked them if they would give him my concern that our favorite dish was not the same anymore, politely, as in not in the same league but easy to fix yadda yadda, nothing. So we went two more times, the last a few days ago, and nothing has changed. So now we're gonna quit and try to find a new favorite. While we were there I saw some other things that suggested to me something is wrong over there.

So my question is, why would a successful small family restaurant with high prices and a good customer base just throw it away ? I mean what the hell ? Too bad it will be their loss, though I will miss the food. Not too bad since these days with inflation and all I really can't afford to eat there much anymore.

FWIW, this problem started long before Biden took office and the economy went south. Thus my confusion.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
their people said no he would not speak since he was busy

With that sort of attitude in owner/help, a downhill trend is not hard to predict.

As to what may have changed, maybe the old chef found a better paying gig? New, less customer-focused owner? Short-staffed due to 2022 personnel shortages?

Hope you find a new fave.

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In business school, they say most customers when disappointed will just no longer give you their business. They really try to teach the value of customer feedback.
So, if you really love this place and you love this dish, please try again to speak to the owner. He may not be aware that a change is causing him to lose customers. I would say even go old school and write a letter.

I have a favorite restaurant as well that made a change that bothered me. I talked to the owner and he changed it back. He had no idea.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 638 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There used to be a place just north of Glens Falls NY that served fresh lobster, either whole or just the tails. The rest of the menu was also fantastic and the Surf and Turf was amazing. Sadly it's no longer in business. Because when the kids took over the first thing they did was expand the restaurant. The second thing they did was start serving frozen lobster tails and food cooked in a microwave. Needless to say that big fancy building was empty in about 3 months.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5600 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Some places just change. It sucks when a favorite goes bad. Owner/staff hearts might not be in it anymore. Toxic management is running the day to day. A resting on the laurels syndrome. Drama in the kitchen that the customers don't see.

Also places need to change the menu up every so often just to keep things from being stale or boring for their regulars.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A beloved local diner right down the street from me has new owners and they went from packed to dead in 5-6 months and I don't think they're going to make it.

They used to have an éclair that was the size of a softball that people would come just for that, it was delicious and ridiculous and more than enough for two people and I'm sure they broke even on them or maybe even lost money but it was what is called a "loss leader" and brought people in by droves to spend money there eating.

The new owners also own another diner nearby with their own baked goods which are lousy and the first thing they did was eliminate the éclair and all the other awesome pies and desserts this diner they acquired had. They also dropped the house-made iced tea and now use some commercial garbage and raised prices pretty noticeably. Lastly they dropped the old school white diner waitress uniforms that the place was known for and now the servers wear a black t-shirt and pants.

I think I know what happened. The old owner retired after like 50 years in the business and the diner was her families and therefore was paid off long ago. Her costs were low and she could afford to do things like lose money on an éclair but the new owners paid top dollar and now have to make a mortgage payment AND deal with skyrocketing food costs.

I'll go by at 6-7 pm on a Saturday and am shocked at how few cars are in the lot. Last year and previous years you could barely find a parking space and the lines were often out the door.

I give them 6-12 more months if that. Sad.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a local Mom and Pop place we go to often . Well , Pop died from Covid a year and a half ago and Mom is struggling to stay afloat . Rising food prices , labor problems , you name it . Some days things just aren't up to snuff and we always let her know without blasting it on the local Facebook page like some folks do . She's very appreciative for the feedback and always tries to remedy the problem . She has a very loyal customer base because of the way she treats people .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We had a local, favorite go-to Mexican place in town. For one reason or another, they had to move and went several miles down the road and had to re-name the place. For some god-awful reason, they changed it to some sort of Mexican-Indian fusion food. Tried it and won't be back; my favorite dishes are not the same.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So glad I don’t own a restaurant anymore. Just look at your home budget. Increased cost of materials. Increased cost of utilities to prepare the food and make the physical plant comfortable. Increased labor costs to get people to show up. You can only increase prices so much before people stop coming. Your only ways to hedge that are by reducing portions and using different (less expensive) ingredients. It’s tough out there.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the places we eat out at are locally owned and have earned their customer’s loyalty. Its sad when one of them forgets what made them great and then its only a matter of time until they go under. There are too many options around here to waste time on bad restaurants.

My favorite place for gumbo got sold. The new owners ruined it and it was closed in under a year.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You said the problem started long before Biden took office, but was it before the COVID lockdowns started? Because that hit a lot of smaller restaurants especially hard with sourcing and labor. What is the dish? I gotta wonder if there was something in it they can't get now, or if they had to seek a inferior replacement. None of this in any way excuses the lack of care about a customer being unhappy, that's a whole other issue.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mexican-Indian fusion food

Where is the puke smiley?

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, There was a BBQ joint in a small town and I had to park across the street to get in line.

Four years ago they changed the recipe and it went downhill fast.

I would have gladly paid more for the original BBQ as opposed to what nobody's buying now.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
You said the problem started long before Biden took office, but was it before the COVID lockdowns started? Because that hit a lot of smaller restaurants especially hard with sourcing and labor. What is the dish? I gotta wonder if there was something in it they can't get now, or if they had to seek a inferior replacement. None of this in any way excuses the lack of care about a customer being unhappy, that's a whole other issue.

Yes, they started downhill long before Covid. And the owner is still in the building during dinner. Go figure. $50 before tip for two for a very simple meal that USED to be delicious, but is no longer delicious. They broke something that didn't need fixing, so I don't get it. So they'll have to steal $50 from some other couple. I do like INDIAN food however. There is one nearby that is excellent, but the tab for two exceeds $50, but is worth it, just can't go very often. I hope they haven't screwed up their food !

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If it's just one dish ~ it could be it isn't selling anymore?
What about other dishes?

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Good question. I don't know for sure. Deserves a better answer.