SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Kindle E-Reader Updates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kindle E-Reader Updates Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Here I am, ensconced in the porcelain-lined library, quietly reading a book, and BAM! the Kindle shuts down and goes into update mode.

Every other device that I have, that gets updates via the internet, has an optional preference setting to just inform the user that there is an update available, and lets the user install the update at his / her convenience.

If there is a setting for this option on the Kindle, it is well hidden. I have not been able to find it.

WTF, Kindle engineers, get your act together!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I keep mine on airplane mode, unless I'm actually downloading a book. Stops updates, and extends battery life a bunch.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My Kindle doesn’t have that problem – it has no Internet connection facility. I like it that way. When I want to buy a new e-book (or borrow one from the library) I download it onto my MacBook, then transfer it to my Kindle via USB.

Pyker’s suggestion is probably the answer for your situation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
pretty crappy situation right there.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Spend some time with YouTube on the can. Even better way to pass the time while taking care of business.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I keep mine on airplane mode, unless I'm actually downloading a book. Stops updates, and extends battery life a bunch.

This. Unless I’m downloading a book that thing is disconnected from the world.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So you were giving it the porcelain test?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

This is what I do as well.

I borrow a lot of books on Kindle from my local library. Keeping my device in airplane mode has the additional advantage of letting me keep a book past its due date (otherwise it would be automatically removed from my device).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This - Offline also extends battery life.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That never happens with a good old hardback copy, sometimes the old ways are best Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
That never happens with a good old hardback copy, sometimes the old ways are best Big Grin

Amen to that! I bought a Kindle reader about ten years ago and Amazon stopped supporting it about 5 years ago and now it is a Kindle reader paperweight.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My Kindle did a pretty large update sometime two nights ago when I was asleep.

Love it. Got over a thousand books at this point, and for a speed reader that's a good thing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is a Kindle Reader next to my bed, and one in the crapper. There's a Kindle Reader app on every iThing that I have, as well as one on each computer.

That means that whatever book I'm currently reading will appear on any of these devices and will open at whatever page I last read. Hard copy books don't work that way.

Of course in order to sync like that, wifi must be enabled, and the device not in airplane mode.

The downside is the rude interruption when the Kindle mother ship decides that it's time to update a device, whether or not it's currently in use.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like physical books as well, but I can only bring a handful with me at a time.

On the other hand, I have several hundred books on my Kindle and they go with me everywhere. Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've never experienced an update that did this. But like others, the majority of the time I keep mine in airplane mode.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post