SIGforum
Amazon Prime Video, "Free to me"

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6700023294

May 26, 2022, 07:48 PM
cas
Amazon Prime Video, "Free to me"
Free you mean, after I pay you $10-$12 a month?

May 26, 2022, 09:31 PM
Rey HRH
I pay the >$110 a year for prime shipping; I get amazon photo storage and prime video for free.

If I didn't use prime shipping, I wouldn't pay for Amazon Prime Video on a regular basis. I use it now since I have it. I limit the number of streaming services I pay for other than YouTube TV. I had HBO plus free for 4 months, I'm on 6 months free Showtime now; I got those from buying Samsung TVs. When it runs out, I'll decide on which streaming service I'll pay for and I'll binge watch as much as I can before switching to another service.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
May 26, 2022, 10:04 PM
cas
When the two day shipping Prime stopped being two days, and people complained, they were told "Oh no that's not what you're paying for". Now it seems the video isn't what we're paying for either? So it's for photo storage and some music feature that I have no clue what actually is? For now. The Amazon shell game.

I canceled mine for about 5 months. Signed back up with a student account through work. Amazon went from being the cheapest place to get stuff, to being priced more like a conveniance store.
May 27, 2022, 01:33 AM
Paten
When Amazon first started offering Prime I thought it was a scam. They artificially hold orders back for days so they can charge people for "expedited" shipping. I did eventually sign up for it because I wanted something quick but really mainly because I'm stupid. I hardly ever even used any of the other perks like Prime Video either. I finally quit it 2 years ago because the price kept going up and I decided waiting a couple of extra days for free shipping was okay. So far I've used the free trial once and cancelled it before I was charged. After awhile they offered it again. I don't order enough from Amazon to have ever made Prime worth the money to me.
May 27, 2022, 09:38 AM
SIGnified
Screw Amazon

I was one of the very first prime members ever. Drop that shit like a hot rock last year.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
May 27, 2022, 11:46 AM
pedropcola
Yea I don’t know about that. When lived up in Maryland you could order something and it was on your doorstep next day. The TV channel isn’t awful. They put out some decent stuff, Reacher was good.

I doubt seriously that they artificially hold back any shipping. They prioritize Prime customers. There is a difference.

My wife uses Amazon a lot so Prime is a no brainer. About every other year they screw something up enough that they end up refunding sone part of Prime membership fee. As for the tv channel and music, I just consider that a bonus. If they charged separately it would be gone. Never even tried the music part.
May 29, 2022, 09:24 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I pay the >$110 a year for prime shipping; I get amazon photo storage and prime video for free.

If I didn't use prime shipping, I wouldn't pay for Amazon Prime Video on a regular basis.

FWIW, it is NOW $139 +tax.
I started for the same reason @ $99 yr as I recall.
However, Prime Video isn't a perfectly FREE add-on.
Intertwined is pay-for-view options, ads for their stuff and now the semi-ad laden FREEVEE from the newly acquired company IMDM.com and revamp for their own use.
I hope they don't start sliding every in to it for the ads.
Overall, PRIME VIDEO is worth it to me because it does have some good content albeit you may have to dig sometimes.
May 29, 2022, 01:17 PM
cas
I was going to say Amazon Prime Video interface it crappy, but I've never used a video service that wasn't bad in that area.

But since I am in fact paying for those free videos, I shouldn't be seeing ads on my screan for ANYTHING I have to pay for/subscribe to, before I see what I can watch that I've already paid for.

May 29, 2022, 01:29 PM
smschulz
quote:
I was going to say Amazon Prime Video interface it crappy, but ...

No it's not terrible.
May 30, 2022, 03:15 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Overall, PRIME VIDEO is worth it to me because it does have some good content albeit you may have to dig sometimes.

Digging is getting quite old. You know what is funny? Showtime has east and west live feeds on their app. Why can’t HBO, Starz, and Epix have the same damn thing? It’s in stereo only but fuck I don’t care. Give me some options on this streaming bullshit that have some resemblance of movie channels on sat/cable. I like having non-commercial content on in the background. Anything and everything to avoid ads. Menu, scroll, enter, done. Instead everything buried in their GUI, with fucking emails everyday. Pluto was ok for this but I tired of the ads quick.

I’m saving time on the movie channel apps by just hitting the just added deal, and whatever option it is for stuff going away. Last chance or whatever. It’s still annoying. I’ll finish my 6 month eval for all this crap soon. Apple’s deal is going, same for Disney as I hate that f’ing company. Well Bye. Now reading that Amazon prime is costing me $139 a year, fuck that too. HBO is free via my ISP, and Showtime stays. Starz I’m getting a deal on, and Epix is relatively cheap. Once Disney and Apple are gone, I’ll make a note to cancel Amazon. I guess I’ll finally pay those mother fucker blood sucker Netflix people for a while. Damn they really bust your ass for 4k. How come there isn’t a one tv, or one stream 4k option? No it has to be for 4 TV’s simultaneously, a feature I will never use. By years end I expect to have HBO, Showtime, Starz and that’s it. $20 a month or so and that’s it for streaming services. Once the films crank up some I’ll use enable more discs per month as it remains numero uno for PQ and audio.

Oh and how about how everything is a got damn episodic thing now? Where are all the films? Seems like 50% are gone in favor of some fucking series on 10 different platforms. One by one the good actors are getting took. What a cultural shift. A movie isn’t good enough anymore. We have to make a series out of it so people will “binge” watch it. I’m not binging anything, not food, not content.

I do think these streaming platforms are going do themselves in as it’s pretty clear what they are all doing. Try to hook the sheep then continually raise the price.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone