SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pennsylvania And Their Sudden Love Of Roundabouts/Traffic Circles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pennsylvania And Their Sudden Love Of Roundabouts/Traffic Circles Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
The trend here in smaller communities in MN seems to be replacing low traffic 2 or 4 way stops with round abouts - in the SAME FOOT PRINT as a traditional intersection... so now you have at best a 4 way yield that can only fit one car in it at a time. Absolute garbage.
MN is ate up with these damnable things. They are a 4 way chicane not a traffic circle, idiots.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
The problem with roundabouts is they rely on YIELD signs which most people already don't know how to handle so they just treat them light STOP signs.

Around here there are too many people who think “yield” means “Breed your cars!”

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...they just treat them light STOP signs.

No because they treat stop signs like Yield signs. Big Grin

I would say more than half the people on the road don't know how stop signs work.
98% know they're supposed to stop.
Maybe 80-85% do stop.
But only about 30% seem to understand the when they're supposed to go part, after they stop. Going because you want to go isn't how it's supposed to work. And stopping because the car ahead of you stopped, and going when he goes doesn't count as a stop. Mad

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
They have FIVE of them now where my parents live in Franklin NC. It’s a town of 5 square miles and a population of under 5000…

The first one was installed in front of the WalMart. There’s a wreck once a week…since they installed it.

Then they started adding more.

It’s a complete fuckup.

They are too small.

When I was in Italy, they have them, but there’s like three or four lanes in the circle and there’s no problems, as people just keep circling until they get an opening to get out.

There’s one in Tampa near where my older brother lives at Country Club and N. Boulevard. It’s been there for 20+ years and it used to be a four way stop. Even after 20 years there’s wrecks there because it’s too small.

Complete madness. Every traffic circle should be torn down and the engineers should have to direct traffic there.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
They must be a fad in civil engineering school. Everything new road-wise near me built in roughly the past 10 years seems determined to squeeze in as many roundabouts as possible.

Every new highway off ramp ends, if there's room for one, in a roundabout. Sometimes if there isn't room for one. Sometimes they've put in roundabouts where there aren't ROADS yet.

Right next to where I live there's a local kind of arterial road that crosses over a highway on an overpass. They recently added an exit for that highway at that road. With, of course, roundabouts. There's one immediately on each side of the overpass. You enter the highway from a roundabout, and when you exit the highway.... it dumps you into a roundabout. They're kind of too small and too close together and it makes just driving on that road suck, but the easy highway access is awfully convenient.

But the really dumb part is, along with that construction they put in a THIRD roundabout a few yards from one of the new twin ones. It's designed differently from the other two. Seriously, it works differently. You do what took you straight through the other two, on this one you'll do a 180. Or a 360. Or a 540. Because the only ways in or out of the roundabout are the road you're on. They put a roundabout on a straight road. It's not an intersection at all there's no other road there.

There is some construction activity on one side of the roundabout, so there will be something eventually but it's senior apartments. They built a roundabout for a *driveway*. That might be used someday but it's not like all the old people are going to want to go hot rodding.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
GregY:

There’s one not far from me that will dump you into a Dunkin Donuts if you aren’t paying attention!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
But the really dumb part is, along with that construction they put in a THIRD roundabout a few yards from one of the new twin ones. It's designed differently from the other two. Seriously, it works differently. You do what took you straight through the other two, on this one you'll do a 180. Or a 360. Or a 540. Because the only ways in or out of the roundabout are the road you're on. They put a roundabout on a straight road. It's not an intersection at all there's no other road there.

The proper term is 'Skidpad'...Not to worry, the local yutes with modded RWD/AWD tuner cars will discover a use for this road feature / test track shortly, and will be practicing their 'drifting' skills / competing there soon enough! Some kids just like to Sit and Spin... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with roundabouts is they rely on YIELD signs which most people already don't know how to handle so they just treat them light STOP signs.

First time I hit one, rolled the winder down and stuck my head out and yiel'd and yiel'd, nobody heard me, darn near got in a wreck, probably these new fangled cars with all them loud music boxs a boomin....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Personally I like them, it's really just because I don't like long lines of traffic though. I can understand the other side that does enjoy their long lines of traffic. To each their own I guess is what the saying is? For me, a faster commute is more important that travel in a straight line.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Personally I like them, it's really just because I don't like long lines of traffic though. I can understand the other side that does enjoy their long lines of traffic. To each their own I guess is what the saying is? For me, a faster commute is more important that travel in a straight line.

I like them too. Wish there were more in the area.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just put in a roundabout (I still refer to them as a "rotary") down the street from me. At least half the time I walk past it, someone is beeping at someone else for either stopping when they shouldn't or not stopping when they should.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm in PA and have no problem with roundabouts.

They are safer than standard intersections and I have one in my own town.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
They keep dummies from running red lights and stop signs and killing or maiming people.

What wreck does happen are lower speed, glancing wrecks, rather than full speed angled (T-bone) ones.

They certainly work.

But all that said, “It’s a damn yield sign, not a stop sign you damned idiot”! is my usual line upon approach.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

DC has some interesting roundabouts, with lanes separated by concrete medians, some with through lanes, and signals.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive and got my license after I went off to college, to a state that was an early enthusiast for the things (there they call them a rotary, or just a circle). At one point I lived next to one - Powderhouse circle. (Which is named for a historical structure of great significance that is still there but locals ignore)

They have advantages... they're a very efficient way to join roads for low to medium traffic flow. For intersections where several roads all come together at once (which may not be the best idea but sometimes roads aren't planned, and at some points trendy urban planning of the day did it thay way on purpose) they IMO are the most viable solution.

But they're not a silver bullet, not a one size fits all solution. When civil engineers treat them like they are it gets annoying. Memory may be playing tricks on me, but istr two places where I think I've driven a roundabout that joined two one way roads - one road merges into another.

They can break down at very high traffic volumes. They're not exactly space-efficient, and trying to force them to be results in making them too small and the too-small ones are worse than properly sized ones in every way. They block/shorten sight lines. They require more knowledge and involvement from drivers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GregY,

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m in Stuart, FL atm. Holly cow the tiny roundabouts! I love driving and parking a crew cab long bed pickup in a beach town.

I saw a nice sign that said don’t stop on the RR tracks because the trains could be doing 80mph. One, I want to ride that train. Two, I couldn’t figure out where the RR tracks even were while I was maneuvering through some sort of 6 way intersection.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I’m in Stuart, FL atm. Holly cow the tiny roundabouts! I love driving and parking a crew cab long bed pickup in a beach town.

I saw a nice sign that said don’t stop on the RR tracks because the trains could be doing 80mph. One, I want to ride that train. Two, I couldn’t figure out where the RR tracks even were while I was maneuvering through some sort of 6 way intersection.

Okay, but seriously - Stuart isn't a beach town. It's more of a fishing town.

That 6-way intersection is Confusion Corner. Nobody gets it the first few times, but it's hardly a normal traffic circle, either. The good news is, the RR gates come down at least 4-5 minutes before the trains come through.

I assume the "tiny" circles you don't like are the ones along A1A. But they're small enough that you hardly have to adjust course to go around them.

Regardless, the way the blue-hairs drive down there, I'd much rather have the circles than lights.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Ugh Roll Eyes

Had to run out to Wegmans tonight, this traffic circle that I hit on the way has been there for over a year and you think people would have figured out how the damned thing works by now.

Guy in front of me creeps in cautiously then completely stops and waves in a guy who is waiting to enter.

SMDH Mad

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post