SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    MRI and claustrophobia!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRI and claustrophobia! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Move South, SAD disappears.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For me, it's not just a closed MRI and claustrophobia (but I am horribly claustrophobic), it's any procedure that requires me to lie still for an extended period of time. I had one specialized CT scan that was fairly open, where I had to lie still for over an hour. Lorazepam again, or they won't get a good picture.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to schedule an MRI for my left shoulder and I am wondering how I will do.

I am not to good at lying still nor am I all the good in enclosed spaces either.

This will be a new experience.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

The second time I was given headphones and music, and I kept falling asleep!

The same thing happened to me. Headphones and I just chilled out. Found it kinda relaxing except for all the noise those magnets make.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
except for all the noise those magnets make.

You just think it's the magnet; that's really all the atoms in your body rattling around!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Personally I've only had the CT scan but when they shoot the juice into you that is interesting....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
In addition to my failing hearing and eyesight, the unpleasantness of being crammed into a big noisy tube seems to be increasing with age, which is somewhat embarrassing given my younger years included cave diving and even time in a hyperbaric chamber at commercial dive school.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
I can't do the regular MRI, but I can survive the "open MRI" we have in town. The dr. doesn't like it as well, because the images aren't quite as crisp as they are in the regular machine.

I have a meningioma (sp?) small benign tumor or cyst next to the skull, so they scan me every year or two to make sure it isn't growing/changing. The little tiny bit of valium they offered one time didn't change things a bit, but the larger MRI chamber helps enough that I can get through it.

Worst experience I've had so far - I ended up in the far back corner of a 15 passenger van and started freaking out a little because I knew I couldn't get out quickly. On the way back from the site visit I waited so I could sit next to the door and I was fine.

tumor inside the skull, of the brain covering?

if that is what it is called, my Mother had one removed a few years ago,

she absolutely hates a MRI\CT and needs a full dose of Valium to get thru one

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Personally I've only had the CT scan but when they shoot the juice into you that is interesting....

had that for kidney stones,

the tech said I would get warm,

I thought I was going to self combust

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Sadly I have to do another one in a few months.NOT looking forward and absolutely doing the drugs.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem until my neck surgery. Multiple MRIs with my head strapped down and could not move. That freaked me out, and since then have claustrophobia. For me it is a freedom thing or I can see how to get out...now I either get an open MRI or ask for some drugs to relax or go to sleep. Hate it, was never an issue but now? Yeah no fun.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Claustrophobia is treatable if you want to take the time. Find a psychologist who knows how to treat phobias. There are literally hundreds of phobias from spiders to germs. Your health insurance will cover. Delta in the past offered a program to treat people who were afraid to fly. Business got better and they no longer offer the course. It was quite effective. If it is a one time thing, fast acting benzos do the trick. Open MRIs are just not as good.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I had to do an MRI for the first time recently. When they first rolled me down the tube, I freaked out. I can't remember the last time I got claustrophobia like that. I had the tech roll me back out.

Then I gathered myself closed my eyes and had him roll me back in. Keeping my eyes closed for the entry worked. No more freaking out. I was okay for as long as I was in there, which was 15 minutes. Don't know if I could do an hour or more, as previous posters have.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Claustrophobia is treatable if you want to take the time.

I dunno. I kind of like the occasional lorazepam. Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I had one done two years ago, I had to be inserted entirely inside the MRI tube, since they were doing a scan of my head and I couldn't have headphones, they very nicely gave me earplugs, however (the tech claimed it was federal law). The procedure took a day, maybe a day and a half. Ok, it only SEEMED as though it took that long. They had my head braced against any movement and the tech told me that I should try no to move my eyes much, because that would have an effect on the results, so I just kept my eyes closed the entire time. The noise was almost unbelievable! It was though people were beating on a large metal pipe with various things. I did well enough until the final minutes, I had laid still for so long that I was getting fidgety and my anxiety increased, I was quite relieved when I was rolled out of the machine. Hope I never have to go through that again.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
When i had mine done i tried to keep my eyes shut but that did not work so they put a towel over my eyes and that did the trick.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ok-ish with the claustrophobia, but when they try to use the small one, my shoulders jam on the way in. After the 3rd back-up-and-try-again, I hit the mic "told you I don't fit'.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I'm ok-ish with the claustrophobia, but when they try to use the small one, my shoulders jam on the way in. After the 3rd back-up-and-try-again, I hit the mic "told you I don't fit'.

With eyes closed and headphones, I barely make it through. But the last one was the tightest I'd been in, almost no shoulder room. Only because I'd made it through before, I knew I could do it but crimenently, it sucked.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Earlier this year I got choked on a piece of meat. It was lodged in my throat just above my stomach and wouldn’t budge. I could breath fine but water, saliva, etc was pooling up in there. I had to go to the hospital and they put me in a tube for imaging. I think it was an MRI. I freaked the fuck out. It was my first time and I started coughing and carrying on and had to get out of there. It was absolutely the worst feeling I’ve had in my adult life.

I’m afraid of ledges and now I must be claustrophobic

I hear you on the claustrophobic thing. But now I want to know how they got that piece of meat out???

After the MRI episode and I was back in the ER the nurses and doctors were trying to figure out who to call. I was just sitting there and it passed on. I said. “Hey, it dislodged.” The nurse said “great we will get you out of here in about an hour.” Bullshit, I walked out the door When she left the room and my wife drove me home.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
doing a drug experiment on Monday. I'm headed in for a spinal tap, so asked my Dr for a tranquilizer. Have an ativan to take an hour before the procedure.

Hopefully it will zap me out and be an option for future MRI's.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post