SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not a gripe per se, but thoughts on recreational marijuana and General Aviation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a gripe per se, but thoughts on recreational marijuana and General Aviation? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
As I was driving by the small local municipal airport this afternoon I noticed a billboard for “Hangar 420” weed store. 420 being a reference to weed, and the logo depicting a Cessna 152 type aircraft and hangar type building. Store is located directly across the street from the airport.

Now I am pretty libertarian leaning when it comes to drug use, don’t steal my shit to pay for your habit, don’t kill people driving under the influence, and I don’t really care what you put in your body. It just strikes me as an odd combo - recreational weed and flying and curious why the dealer thought ”THAT is how I want to rep my business”

My mind immediately wandered to Cheech and Chong taking bong hits while waiting for clearance to take off, being distracted by cloud formations on final approach, or bad weather harshing their buzz.

Just seemed like an odd combination, thoughts?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Probably the same business model as a duty free store: "Last chance to buy dope at a store before you fly back where you can't!" A quick google of that place just says they grow weed in airplane hangars, so maybe they just wanted the space. I dunno. Good grow ops need a lot of space and good lighting, an airplane hangar would be ideal for that.

I do have a funny anecdote about weed and flying. Back when they first "legalized" it in Washington, my wife and I flew to Florida from Seatac. There was the standard security line, but there was stuff all over the floor. I looked, and there were gummies, candies, cookies, all the edibles you might buy at a shop. People who obviously wanted to try to sneak some through TSA and then chickened out at the last second. There was an old black reverend who motioned to one of those and said to a young guy standing next to it "You dropped something." The guy looked down, his eyes went wide and said "ohhh... no, that's not mine!" He took several steps away and the old fella just gave a loud "Mmmmmm Hmmmmm" the way an old black revered might. I stifled a laugh and we went through security.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm against it, strongly against it. First Pot does NOTHING good to the human body, it's as bad as tobacco. In addition people WILL drive while Stoned and Will Kill innocent people.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5599 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I'm against it, strongly against it. First Pot does NOTHING good to the human body, it's as bad as tobacco. In addition people WILL drive while Stoned and Will Kill innocent people.

:: sigh :: Roll Eyes

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
in my state the decriminalization of Cannabis / Marijuana was simply the "gateway law" for legalizing hard drugs.

Oregon's measure 110 decriminalized cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamine, and oxycodone. Yes, it's all legal here.

You can sit in a park in downtown Portland shooting shit into your arm and nobody does anything because IT'S ALL LEGAL.

Oh, but light up a tobacco cigarette in a public park and the blue hair Karens are all over you since tobacco use is actually illegal in a city park.

The negative impact on the state cannot even begin to be measured. The measure is claimed to be a success since drug arrests are down, but the amount of property crime, and homeless camps with open air drug use is through the roof.

Side note: Generally, property crime is no longer reported since nobody does anything about it anyway, and even if they catch the criminal they just let him/her go within a few hours. So IT APPEARS statistically as if property crime is steady.

I have no way to know about impaired driving. But impaired pedestrians who are stoned out of their minds, and then run into high traffic areas and get killed is well documented.

I always feel sorry for the driver or trucker who hits them. Not their fault.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I personally think if people want to rot their brain they should be allowed... it is a human right.... we should not be obligated to help or cure them if. they choose this...

I have no problem with folks getting stoned recreationally when they are not at work... maybe it's just me but the mystical and alternative experiences I've had were when I was stone cold sober.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Folks I really didn’t mean to start a threads on the evils of the devil’s lettuce…

Can we keep it to the point of combining weed and flying for advertising purposes.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can we keep it to the point of combining weed and flying for advertising purposes.

Well someone probably already trademarked the Weed and Doritos logo

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Well it's illegal according to the FAA

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/transporting_marijuana

Also:

Aside from any state law pertaining to the use of marijuana within a state, it is important to be aware that the FAA's regulation [14 CFR § 120.33(b)], expressly prohibits you from performing a safety-sensitive function for a certificate holder while having a prohibited drug, which includes marijuana and marijuana metabolites, in your system. If you are a pilot, a verified positive drug test result for marijuana on a required DOT/FAA test will make you unqualified to hold an FAA-issued medical certificate.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess, it might be aimed at the skydiving customers. Or people headed to the cafe.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
...If you are a pilot, a verified positive drug test result for marijuana on a required DOT/FAA test will make you unqualified to hold an FAA-issued medical certificate.

In a couple weeks I'm taking the standard every two-year Class III physical in order to continue piloting a Cessna 152 and 172. I am certain I've always had to submit a urine sample.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

In a couple weeks I'm taking the standard every two-year Class III physical in order to continue piloting a Cessna 152 and 172. I am certain I've always had to submit a urine sample.
Can't you use Basic Med, per AC-68A, instead of taking a physical exam with an AME?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...Can't you use Basic Med, per AC-68A, instead of taking a physical exam with an AME?

WARNING: Thread drift.

Sigh... When I left rusty pilot status several years ago I mentioned this to my primary care doc (who I only see once a year for my Medicare wellness check) and his eyes rolled back. He wasn't interested in even learning about the process so I dropped it.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_c...tification/basic_med

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]In a couple weeks I'm taking the standard every two-year Class III physical in order to continue piloting a Cessna 152 and 172. I am certain I've always had to submit a urine sample.[/QUOTE]

FAA physicals don't screen for elicit drugs, it's for possible diabetes or kidney disease which is why they can do it in a few minutes. For an official DOT drug test there is a specific protocol to verify the integrity of the "donation", and chain of custody. Then the sample is sent off to a lab for testing so the results are not same-day.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, I really don’t think they’re marketing to pilots, they’re just capitalizing on their location and using that to market. That’s far less interesting a discussion than stoned pilots and FAA exams, though.

https://www.hangar420snohomish.com/

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an official DOT drug test there is a specific protocol to verify the integrity of the "donation", and chain of custody. Then the sample is sent off to a lab for testing so the results are not same-day
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The test may be observed as well. The sample is then split in half, with one half sent off. The other is retained if the donor wishes to challenge the result.

Posts: 17156 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:

...FAA physicals don't screen for elicit drugs, it's for possible diabetes or kidney disease which is why they can do it in a few minutes. For an official DOT drug test there is a specific protocol to verify the integrity of the "donation", and chain of custody. Then the sample is sent off to a lab for testing so the results are not same-day.

I just learned something, thanks! I assumed (yes, I know how to spell it) they were testing for drugs but yeah, the instant results should have been a clue.

Now I can order something from them. Wink

https://www.hangar420snohomish.com/order-online

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Both the Weed and the Cessna 152 will get ya high.

Posts: 8143 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Sigh... When I left rusty pilot status several years ago I mentioned this to my primary care doc (who I only see once a year for my Medicare wellness check) and his eyes rolled back. He wasn't interested in even learning about the process so I dropped it.

Go find another doctor just for Basic Med purposes, then. Any doctor. I used a Occupational M.D. to do mine. 30 minutes and done. No more Class III physicals in my future. Well worth it.

Back on topic: any detection of MJ, alcohol, or other substances will land you in the FAA's HIMS program. I spent two years in it, with 8 years of sobriety under my belt. Not fun. And expensive.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The measure is claimed to be a success since drug arrests are down.

Make killing people legal and I’m sure arrests for homicide will go down… that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but sounds like a democratic government

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post