SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bad experience with my car/dealership
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad experience with my car/dealership Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS that we bought new. Driving home the other day the engine oil light came on, about 3 seconds after that the engine started running rough. I was doing 60 MPH on a 4 lane road.

I pulled over on the right side grass strip and shut it down. Got out and checked the oil, none on the dipstick!

Crawled under the car(as far as I could) and discovered oil all over the underside. Well shit! Got the car towed home and did some more research and found the damned oil drain plug was missing!

Called the dealership and they towed the car to their shop. I went to the dealership to see what was happening.

It is important to note that EVERY oil change was done by the dealership and at substantially less than the max mile recommendation.

Got a huge ration of crap about why it was not their fault, yada yada.

Now it seems like the engine is "making noise" that would seem to indicate mechanical damage, and now they are continuing to "hint" that somehow it is my fault. Not buying it!!

No idea when I will get my car back, and even when I do, I am not sure I will trust it!! Especially given their performance with simple oil changes.

If I had not been getting oil changes and filters at no cost I would have done it myself!!!

Working, slowly, with SWHMBO on how to deal with this. Our general consensus is to trade it in on a new one.

This 2012 model car with 67K miles on it was purchased in June 2011. Low mileage in most anybody's book.

Frustrated does not begin to describe my feelings at this point.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Start the process of giving Hyundai corporate an earful and definitely don’t deal with those idiots local to you again!

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes. Call Hyundai customer service line now.

Posts: 5324 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
They should man up and own this problem as their screw up.

I had a coworker who did just as you did: he had all maintenance and repairs done by the dealership so that if anything went wrong, he knew who to blame.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Load the engine up with 90w gear oil and trade it back to them. Big Grin

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
You need to make some noise with corporate.

Free oil/filters or not, this is still why I do my own work. If I fuck up my car, that's on me. But I don't trust others to care about my car as much as me, especially when I'm not paying them.

Posts: 13118 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe call the local tv and radio stations

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of the bad experience you had with your Hyundai dealer.

My experience with my San Diego Hyundai dealer has been excellent – much better than with two different Toyota dealers. I’m in my second consecutive Hyundai Sonata, and will buy a third one later this year.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Good tips about contacting Hyundai corporate!

Thanks

Edited to add: Sent their HQ an email.

Will be interesting to see the results.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Shame on them.

See if the oil filter on it is a factory Hyundai filter of the type they install at the dealership. If it is, I think it’s gonna be harder for them to deny their culpability. I agree, contact Hyundai corporate. If they don’t help you, I’d hire a nasty ass lawyer with long greasy hair to send the dealership and Hyundai a strongly worded letter and blast them on social media.

Hell, even Walmart and Jiffy Lube stand behind their work better than that.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d hire a nasty ass lawyer with long greasy hair to send the dealership and Hyundai a strongly worded letter and blast them on social media.

After the letter is sent I think it would have more effect if the nasty lawyer showed up on the showroom floor at peak hours.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When did they do the last oil change? Was it very recent?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I’d hire a nasty ass lawyer with long greasy hair to send the dealership and Hyundai a strongly worded letter and blast them on social media.
After the letter is sent I think it would have more effect if the nasty lawyer showed up on the showroom floor at peak hours.
Forget the lawyer. Just hire Guido and Angelo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
When did they do the last oil change? Was it very recent?

Several months ago. About 6700 miles according to their records.

Hyundai recommends oil changes at 7500 miles.

Never went that long as they always had those free oil and filter change before that. Average miles per year just over 9500 and all "easy" miles.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
Absolutely try and get local media involved...they LOVE shaming car dealerships only because they can usually loom like heroes by doing so

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely try and get local media involved...they LOVE shaming car dealerships only because they can usually loom like heroes by doing so

Yes and No. Stations get A LOT of revenue from those dealerships for the stupid advertising.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well, something seems to be happening. Not sure it is a result of my email to corporate or the sales manager was brought into the mess.

We got a phone call regarding doing a trade-in with the current car, on a new one.

Wife handled the call, nobody argues with her and her German logic. I think she told them that if they apply $8K towards the new car we would buy it.

I just wish they would shit or get off the pot! Seems like it requires a bunch of running around on their part before anybody actually makes a decision.

leaving it in her hands.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.

You got an oil change.

Then, 7k miles later, you lose all of your oil out of the oil drain plug, and the car runs dry.

How is it necessarily the dealers fault? Is the theory that they didn't torque it down to spec or forgot the lock washer when reinstalling the bolt, and the bolt backed itself out over the past 7k miles?

From the dealer's perspective, I'd be concerned that someone would just back their oil drain plug to mess up the engine because they wanted a new car. It's hard to find a really fair middle ground for everyone.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is it necessarily the dealers fault? Is the theory that they didn't torque it down to spec or forgot the lock washer when reinstalling the bolt, and the bolt backed itself out over the past 7k miles?

I have been driving for 64 years and have NEVER had a oil drain plug fall out, or come unscrewed, etc, etc.

They did not torque it to the required specs, IMO.

Late breaking news, somebody there must agree with me because they called about 10 minutes ago and offered to put a new engine in the car, at their expense.

And, I do not figure it is excessive to expect a company to actually do the right thing when they screw up. And it appears they agree.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
that's great news!! glad they decided to make it right

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post