SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm not able to reply " STOP" to political campaign text messages as fast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not able to reply " STOP" to political campaign text messages as fast Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
as fast they are sending me new ones.

I should just chuck the phone across the Potomac, yes?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
That’s one option we’ve all considered.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What type phone? iOS has filters with choice of "known senders," "unknown senders," or "all messages." I do not know whether Android offers something similar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Tracfone which is pay as you go. Prior to the Primary election, the Political idiots began sending me texts that drained my phone text balance.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, its a 'droid.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
My carrier provides text spam filtering for my Android phone. Actually the filtering is Verizon, and my carrier is a MVNO that uses Verizon infrastructure.

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
ATT has a nice test-spam filter as well.

FWIW, you gotta be careful where you give your phone number out.
I know it's hard especially if you don't have a land line.
Additionally, same can happen for email and if you want to keep (or at least try) your email cleaner then don't give everyone your private email and especially your business email.
Keep a separate account like a GMail etc for bulk correspondence.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ That's one reason why I got a Google Phone Number.

I ONLY give out my actual real phone number in a very limited way.

Anybody else gets my Google Phone number.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
V-Tail, its a 'droid.

Check out the 'do not disturb' feature. I had misunderstood what it did and ignored it for years.

There are settings for it, but in essence you can tell your phone not to ring for calls and/or not accept messages from people not on your contact list. And you can add exceptions if you like. More details, Android 9 version

Unless I am expecting new callers (which is seldom) my Android phone lives in this mode.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always ask for newds of the candidates

Posts: 1092 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does replying STOP actually work?

Have just started receiving political texts and I hate it.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
as fast they are sending me new ones.

I should just chuck the phone across the Potomac, yes?

Into the Potomac.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I usually save the numbers. Those are the ones I give to the scammers when they ask for a phone number.
Same thing with emails.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I must explore the latest iOS features as I am suddenly being inundated with political spam texts at an alarming rate, and it is fukkin pissing me off! Sons of bitches!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4548 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears replying STOP does actually work. At least for me anyway.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong but thought that political adds were exempt from the nom call list................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
They must not like me I’ve gotten one

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I tried replying "STOP" and the volume of texts easily tripled, and it's getting worse by the day!!! Mad

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4548 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post