SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Well rats, got hit by lightning.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well rats, got hit by lightning. Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I'm glad that you and your family are okay. Lightning is scary stuff. Wile working with computer networks and directional antennas, I have seen 'grounded' equipment blown 40 feet from the roof. Simple differences in ground potential can wreak havoc on a sunny day. It gets crazy when working with the scale of a cell tower.

Interestingly, the actual bolt is five or six inches across. The column of light that runs the length of the bolt when it makes contact with the ground is about 125 feet or so. My brother was working on a video camera one day in an electrical storm. We were on the front porch when lightning hit a tree in the front yard and he got it on tape. Took the tape to his other VCR that had a manual drive system and could fit the video to a single scan on the cassette. Long story short, he could set and study every frame on the strike video. I don't know if he was able to get the footage to a distributor, but if you have seen a lightning strike video that shows the strike energize a red '67 Chevelle, he was the one who recorded it (and yes, it does lead on from the top of the screen with a pointed tip, just like in the cartoons). Big Grin

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've ordered the board and the wife is gonna pick up a new Roku TV tomorrow.

The Direct TV guy will be here Thursday.
I'm ready for some "normalcy".

Cici does not like her TV missing from the bedroom.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post