SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So you sold me something but not the power supply?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So you sold me something but not the power supply? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Frustrated today, dealing with a low-cost security system. The garage camera, purposely set up high so it can’t be stolen or blocked, needed a battery change.

This requires the use of my 32 foot extension ladder, a challenge to drag from the back yard fence to the driveway.

Of course, the battery change wouldn’t be needed if the solar charger, sold to me by the same company, actually kept the battery charged as they claim it will.

Knowing that the solar charger only delays inevitable, I purchased a second battery for those times when it goes dead. This way, one ladder event is required about every two months. If you don’t have a battery charged up, ready to go, you have to wait about sixteen hours to fully charge the battery, then climb back up and install it. So, you have to take the ladder down, re-stow it, and drag it back out once the battery is charged.

I’m all set, I think. I have a second battery. It is fully charged. I am already hot and sweaty after a 5K jog and mowing the yard. Drag the ladder out, pull the camera off its magnetic base, and swap the battery.

The app, so very convenient to use, shares that the camera has a fully charged battery. But, for whatever reason, there is no image from the camera.

I decide to remove the battery, remove the camera from the system, and reattach the camera to the system. Not gonna happen. The base station can’t add the camera.

Call the support line. The fellow, very nice, asks what charging device I used to charge the battery. I relate that the exact charging device I used is not a detail I choose to remember. He allows that the camera battery must be charged by a 5 vDC 7.5 W charger, at least. And, that, mysteriously, to me, the app can report that the battery is fully charged when it is in fact NOT.

I inquire…”so, you’re telling me that I must charge the battery with a certain power level, but you didn’t sell me that charging device with the camera or battery, and furthermore, that my app will lie to me and state that the battery is useful when in fact it is not?”

“Yes,” he related. “It is our number one complaint with the outdoor camera.”

So, he is sending me a new camera, a new battery, and a new charger.

This will make the third camera and the third battery the company has supplied me.

I think I need to eliminate my ongoing disappointments with this company. Although the competition may be 50% higher in monthly cost ($45 vs. $30), I am so very tired of the ongoing nonsense with this system.

1. The outdoor keypad for the smart lock will not work the lock, on its first keypad operation. You must depresss the code about three times.
2. Unlocking the door with the code does not turn off the system, in a sufficiently short time to avoid setting off the alarm upon opening the door.
3. The system can lose connection to a WiFi router only 12 feet away.
4. The response monitoring company cannot be accessed quickly to STOP a response, upon some inadvertent alarm.
5. The fire smoke sensor can just go off (yes at 3 am) with no fire or smoke. And, you will get a response from your local fire department even if you cancel it via the response monitoring company.

I will be inquiring of ADT this week. Carefully.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Please tell us what company to avoid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Yes, please do.

I've got 7 Reolink cameras up, had them for years, 2 on solar power and no problems whatsoever.

I would like to know who to avoid in the future, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Relocate the battery and run wires to the panel.

I used to do this for security panel installs where the panel was either very inaccessible or locked away (to prevent disabling or tampering), such as yours.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that if you were buying a kit that someone made in their spare time,

I would be better for them to sell an 'electronic subassembly' instead of a completed item.

That is not the case here, so I have no idea.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The company claims to be safe.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

The company claims to be safe.
Complex?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safelite

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naw, Safeauto

posted Hide Post
Maybe Snapsafe

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
SimpliSafe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

When you use consumer-oriented products these type of caveats will exist.
IP POE cams ~ you don't have these issues as they (Pros) think these things out.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

When you use consumer-oriented products these type of caveats will exist.

Seriously? I understand there's a difference between consumer, prosumer and pro level products, but it's OK for a consumer product to report to the app that the battery is fully charged when it's not charged at all?

You really simply aren't safe at all!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it's OK for a consumer product to report to the app that the battery is fully charged when it's not charged at all?

No that isn't OK at all ... but IMO, using a battery operated wireless camera for anything other than amusement is not practical.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
We're close to on the same page. I'm OK with wireless in some applications, but not for serious, really-need-this-video needs. And certainly not anything pro/ commercial.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
BTW, the outdoor camera does not work anymore, even with two fully-charged batteries. I think I will simply mount the replacement camera down low, where I can access it. I will go up one more time with the ladder, pull the solar charger and magnetic mount, and put these into a tree in the front yard. We’ll see if the new camera, new battery, and new placement will keep things simply safe.

-------

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
wired power source for outdoor cameras, period. Last thing I need is having to constantly monitor the battery status of a device, or have the battery fail at critical moments, which they will.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Received new camera and new wired power supply kit with LONG power cable and proper wattage. Also a far superior mounting device...obviously redesigned. No charge. Overnight delivery. Camera booted up instantly, attached to the WiFI IoT network, and has great image quality. For now, I mounted it on the solar charger, way up high. When it cools off, I'll run it via the power cable and reposition the camera close to the power outlet.

It is an ongoing challenge to keep this system running so I am simply safe. But, it is a responsive company, making hardware and software improvements, and charging me very little for my service.

-------