SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    First world problem with ATMs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First world problem with ATMs Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I know this is a first world problem.

I just go to the bank every so often. I draw enough cash to last me awhile. Some ATMs let me choose denominations - I want to withdraw $500, it asks how many $20s, $50s, $100s I want. Others don't give me a choice - it just asks how much I want to withdraw and then dispenses that amount in $20 (assuming I entered some multiple of $20).

In both cases, it always asks how much I want to withdraw first. I have no idea if it's going to offer me a choice of denominations or not.

I wish ALL ATMs, whether it is flexible with denominations or limited to just $20s, would just ask how many of each bill I want. Don't ask how much I want to withdraw, just how many of each denomination. If it only has $20s, just ask how many $20s I want.

If the ATM is flexible, I'll withdraw $500 in $100s. If the ATM is limited to $20s, I'll ask for $100. The ATM I usually go to has flexibility. The one I went to today looked the same but I'm stuck with $500 in 20s. Which makes my wallet to thick to fold.

It must be hard to let people know in advance if a particular ATM is flexible or not. Similar to obummer care, we need to enter in an amount first to find out.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never use one. In the rare case when I go to the bank I see a teller. She asks the amount and then big bills or small bills. Plus the bank has free goodies. The ATM does not.
The banks use ATMs to cut down on their manpower, they really dont care about your needs.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just go to the bank every so often. I draw enough cash to last me awhile. Some ATMs let me choose denominations - I want to withdraw $500, it asks how many $20s, $50s, $100s I want.

Must be nice.

The ATMs I use only dispense $20s and $50s (when withdrawing larger amounts)

quote:
It must be hard to let people know in advance if a particular ATM is flexible or not

ATMs aren't usually owned, operated, or serviced by the bank. There is a separate company that they contract with for the service. Which kind of ATM you get is dependent on what the company has on hand

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It must be hard to let people know in advance if a particular ATM is flexible or not.

I don't get where there is an issue. I ask for a given amount of money from an ATM, and it gives that amount to me. Simple and effective.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used an ATM in over 30 years. It's just as easy to go into the bank. And I get to chat with the lovely Tellers I've known for many years. As soon as I walk through the door, two or three say Hi Paul!

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ATM where I bank is mounted so that the sunlight washes out the screen. Lots of thought went into that! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had any option except 20 dollar bills

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

The ATM where I bank is mounted so that the sunlight washes out the screen. Lots of thought went into that! Roll Eyes
I agree, but many of the Publix grocery stores in this area have ATMs mounted in the outside wall of the store, near the entrance door. There usually isn't much choice for location, the wall is where the wall is.

The ATM could be placed inside the outer lobby of the store, shielded from sun and weather, but it would only be accessible during store hours. The outside location provides 24-hour access.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ATM where I bank is mounted so that the sunlight washes out the screen[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Usually it is overcast all winter so not an issue except for the few sunny days. LOL

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I use the drive up ATM often to deposit checks

Lady the other day used eight different cards for eight different transactions

About the sixth card I played "Move Bitch" extra loud with windows rolled down

Move, bitch, get out the way
Get out the way, bitch, get out the way
Oh no, the fight's out
I'm 'bout to punch your lights out
Get the fuck back, guard your grill

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
It would be nice, but there's no way it would work around here. People would sit in line for hours trying to do the math.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an account with PNC bank. They ar pretty up to date with their technology. With the PNC app on my phone I can access an ATM without having even having my debt card. It generates a one time code I use in conjunction with my pin. Pretty nifty. The machines will dispense 20, 10 and 1 bills.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It must be hard to let people know in advance if a particular ATM is flexible or not.

I don't get where there is an issue. I ask for a given amount of money from an ATM, and it gives that amount to me. Simple and effective.

I very seldom use cash. When I do I usually get 2 $10 and another 10 in $1 bills I leave in the store tip jars.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
While I seldom withdraw cash from an ATM, the last one I remember that had anything but $20 increments was the 1990s. (That doesn't mean they don't or didn't exist.)

The bank formerly known as Washington Mutual (WaMu) in Phoenix when I was there had something uncommon that I liked - a walk-in vestibule/foyer that was locked after hours and you unlocked by swiping your debit card.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post