SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chiggers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiggers Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Are you talking about fox mange caused by a mite?

I really can't remember her name.

You poor thing. We always used our boats for playing with those types of foxes. The only downside was that it was easy for someone to sneak up on you.

Smith Mountain Lake was one of the worst places in that there was no cove safe from a bass fisherman.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Back in the day after a day in the woods and fields our mother would have us take a bath in a short filled tub of water with at least 1/2 box of baking soda mixed in to help with the itching and redness caused by the ticks and chiggers......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

As a result, I resorted to putting on Deep Woods Off from my sockline to my shorts. It prevented chigger bites but it meant needing a shower despite only doing 7 minutes of work.

I did that last time I was in the woods and the crappy little things bit me all over both thighs. I feel luck that they stopped at the thigh and avoided my crotch. (I've heard of folks were bitten in the crouch.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^ They like to bite in areas of tight fitting clothing like the elastic on socks and the elastic on leg hole of underwear.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a type of powder- I forget exactly but it's maybe sulphur? Anyway, we put a bunch into a long tube sock and use that to slap our legs during bird season when walking in the fields. That powder gets all over our pants, shoes, socks, etc...and the bugs hate it. I really need to remember what it's called...it's out at the lease or I'd just go check. Maybe someone else has an idea and can chime in.

Posts: 11 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 14, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpfrog:
There's a type of powder- I forget exactly but it's maybe sulphur? Anyway, we put a bunch into a long tube sock and use that to slap our legs during bird season when walking in the fields. That powder gets all over our pants, shoes, socks, etc...and the bugs hate it. I really need to remember what it's called...it's out at the lease or I'd just go check. Maybe someone else has an idea and can chime in.

That is sulphur. It works on mites (a chigger is a mite) and spiders but not insects. So does Off or any other bug repellent with DEET.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post