SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SLOW DOWN People!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SLOW DOWN People! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
What a shitty day for the Pennsylvania State Police. Two young State troopers killed on I-95 in Philadelphia by a woman who wouldn’t slow down and ran them over as they were trying to assist a man walking on the roadway.

The one trooper had a pregnant wife who is due in about four months and the other one had a young daughter, now they will grow up to never know their fathers all because of selfish idiotic people driving their huge fucking SUV’s WAY too fast and with their heads buried in their goddam phones.

Rant over. Mad

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I saw that today…as I was reading the Officer Down Memorial Page for my officer that was hit by an 18 wheeler right before Christmas. Mother of three.

I have the true honor of writing the words that will be on her memorial plaque. Had pulled the website up to see what had been written about her.

But I’d rather see her smile again.

RIP Troopers Frown

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mad DUI Related

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sane country would not allow driving and cell phone use

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:

It's illegal pretty much in every state.

It's also nearly impossible to enforce.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge hazard . Happens way too often .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I've noticed local police using their cars to disable entire lanes of traffic while they deal with roadside issues. It's a chronic issue and extremely dangerous.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:

Phones have GPS so it would be simple to make them inactive once moving over a certain speed. I’m sure everyone would cry that they don’t feel safe driving to grandmas house without being able to use their phone.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:

Very little to do with speed. Everything to do with inattentive behavior and probably more.

Phones have GPS so it would be simple to make them inactive once moving over a certain speed. I’m sure everyone would cry that they don’t feel safe driving to grandmas house without being able to use their phone.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Phones have GPS so it would be simple to make them inactive once moving over a certain speed.
How could a solution like this distinguish between the driver and a passenger?

How about the person in the back seat on an Uber? Or on a bus? Or a train?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, tragic indeed. The driver was just bragging on social media how she was good at ‘drunk driving’. It would of been better if she expired in the crash.

I have a belief that to many are to casual with driving, not giving proper attention. That can be for a host of reasons beyond the cellphone. Of course the phone will be a biggie.

Here’s a bad one from just the other day. At 1st blush it looks like the driver may of pulled out in front of a semi. The ‘T’ intersection may of had some bend on the through road, harder to see traffic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-truck-Oklahoma.html

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I about got it yesterday when crossing a two lane bridge with a tractor trailer. The tractor trailer had crossed the center line and I managed to wedge through but in the process hit a piece of steel in the road and blew the right front tire.

I hadn't put the camera back in the truck so I didn't get any pictures to see if he was talking on a cellphone.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t sound like speed has anything to do with it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Phones have GPS so it would be simple to make them inactive once moving over a certain speed.

Yup.

It's not just the phones--though that is surely part of the problem.

Since the Scaredemic first eased-up, I've seen significant increases in:
  • Speeding
  • Cutting people off pulling into traffic
  • Cutting people off, then driving more slowly than the person they cut off
  • Rushing up to traffic lights and stopping short
  • Running lights
  • Not bothering to stop before a right turn on red
  • Turning left in front of on-coming traffic
  • Preventing people from merging in front of them
  • Sitting obliviously when a light turns green
Pretty much every kind of poor/dangerous driving there is, really.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd think the larger outcry would be that folks would no longer be about to use Navigation...well, that and keeping the screaming kids in the back seat entertained

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There would have to be something like using the phone to start the car which disables the phone until the car is parked.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mad DUI Related

This is horrible Confused

These two state troopers pulled this woman over for a DUI and in the middle of the stop got called away to assist with a man wandering on I-95 and this cunt who had been pulled over was the one who ran them over and killed them all a few minutes later..

She needs to rot in prison for the rest of her life Mad

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Source

Rammed By Young Woman They Pulled Over Two Miles Before

A young woman who bragged on Twitter, “I’m the best drunk driver ever” has been charged with third-degree murder, homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, DUI, and related charges after she allegedly rammed a pedestrian and two Pennsylvania state troopers to their deaths after they had pulled her over two miles before just after midnight on Monday morning.

Jayana Tanae Webb, 21, was seen shackled in handcuffs belonging to the two fallen troopers as she was transported from the Pennsylvania State Police Troop K barracks to Philadelphia police headquarters on Tuesday afternoon.

At roughly 1 a.m. on Monday, state troopers Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden T. Sisca, 29, pulled Webb over on suspicion of DUI on I-95, but then released her when they were summoned to deal with Reyes Rivera Oliveras, 28, walking on the left side of the southbound lanes two miles away. The troopers walked Oliveras to their SUV, but as they were getting him into the vehicle, Webb allegedly rammed into the SUV at high speed, killing all three men.

Jayana Tanae Webb, 21, was seen shackled in handcuffs belonging to the two fallen troopers as she was transported from the Pennsylvania State Police Troop K barracks to Philadelphia police headquarters on Tuesday afternoon.

At roughly 1 a.m. on Monday, state troopers Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden T. Sisca, 29, pulled Webb over on suspicion of DUI on I-95, but then released her when they were summoned to deal with Reyes Rivera Oliveras, 28, walking on the left side of the southbound lanes two miles away. The troopers walked Oliveras to their SUV, but as they were getting him into the vehicle, Webb allegedly rammed into the SUV at high speed, killing all three men.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Seems strange that both troopers let her go, why didn't one stay with her, the other go deal with the guy walking in the lanes, knowing she was DUI.

Hopefully she gets max sentence and serves it...

Posts: 23446 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Seems strange that both troopers let her go, why didn't one stay with her, the other go deal with the guy walking in the lanes, knowing she was DUI.
Or even tell her to stay put in her vehicle and take the keys with them while they were attending to the pedestrian (assuming that she did not have a second set of keys). 20-20 hindsight.

Tragic. At a minimum, she should get maximum prison term for each of the three people she killed, terms to be served consecutively.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים