SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unknown and unwanted digital subscription
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unknown and unwanted digital subscription Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I received a polite e-mail from a provider that my monthly subscription price would go up $1. "What subscription?" I thought, checking the e-mail from address to see if it was spam. It looked legit. So, I went to the provider and sure enough, for the past umpty-ump months I have been paying for a service that I never use.

Who started the subscription? Probably me, unknowingly me. I failed to recognize the trial period was over, perhaps.

But, I'm glad to be saving about the value of one Starbuck's cup of rich dark roast coffee each month. Or a gallon of gas.

Check your subs!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Good advice. Comb through cc bills and app subscriptions! My doggone kids (and wife) are notorious for doing the "free trial" for apps and then I get dinged for the subscription!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
They like to sneak a subscription charge on the credit card with automatic renewal. It may be named as such that’s it’s hard to I.D..

I remember when our son had ‘planet fitness’ years ago, ‘only’ $10 a month. To cancel you had to send a special letter to headquarters with the account info, no simple calls allowed.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I just turned one off a week ago that's been going on for over a year unbeknownst to me. Kindle (extra something-or-other) for ten bucks a month that gave access to a bunch of books my wife will never read. I read real books, so it wasn't for me.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

I just turned one off a week ago that's been going on for over a year unbeknownst to me. Kindle (extra something-or-other) for ten bucks a month that gave access to a bunch of books my wife will never read. I read real books, so it wasn't for me.
Kindle Unlimited starts as a free trial, I believe that it's for three months. After that, it turns into a paid subscription at $9.99 / month, unless / until you cancel.

At the rate that I consume books, it's a bargain for me. The Kindle Reader, with its ability to carry hundreds (thousands?) of books in a small package, is a constant companion for me whenever I go anyplace where I might have to wait, such as doctor office, bank, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Good advice. Comb through cc bills and app subscriptions! My doggone kids (and wife) are notorious for doing the "free trial" for apps and then I get dinged for the subscription!

Look at the subscription section in your phone too (at least that what Android calls it), I canceled two last night (even before reading this thread) and found two were up for renewal.
It wasn't a lot and yes I did initiate them, probably a trial I forgot about that turns into a real bill.

Posts: 22900 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If you ever start a "free trial", set a calendar notification a day before the trial ends to cancel it.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
If you ever start a "free trial", set a calendar notification a day before the trial ends to cancel it.

The only time I accept a free trial is when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm going to continue on beyond the free trial period beforehand.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Look at the subscription section in your phone too (at least that what Android calls it)

On the iPhone, it is in Settings. At the very top, click on your name, where you can access iCloud, AppleID, and more. After you click your name, there is a line item called "Subscriptions".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Amazon music, they got me. I guess I accidentally hit a button that said "subscribe to Unlimited for $3.99 a month" There are constant pop ups for it

I caught it on my bank statement. Assholes

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I keep track of any subscriptions I have. Especially for streaming services.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post