SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anti-Rant: State Farm Homeowners Insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Rant: State Farm Homeowners Insurance Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We had a couple of 60+ MPH wind storms over the Winter and I lost a few square feet of shingles off my garage.

It's the original roof from when I built the garage in '92 so it's 30 years old. Roofing contractor quoted me $9500 all in for 16 squares, with quality shingles and ice-and-water shield.

I filed a claim on a whim, assuming they'd laugh heartily, say "The roof is 30 years old, what the fuck were you thinking?" Either that or depreciate it to the point that it wouldn't even cover my deductible.

Imagine my surprise when my agent called today and said "We'll cut a check right now for $xxxx and when we see a signed contract for complete replacement, we'll cut you another check to cover the depreciation deduction."

So basically, I'm out my deductible for complete replacement of a 30 year old roof.

I suspect my premiums will reflect that, but it's better than taking out a loan or wiping out savings.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That’s great news. I suspect if this is your first claim in 30 years that your rates won’t take much of a hit.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I lost a few square feet of shingles off my garage.

[snip]

Roofing contractor quoted me $9500 all in for 16 squares

Eek

Holy crap! I need some soffit/roof work done and am now not looking forward to the quote.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Contractor said it was based on $550/square for materials and labor, plus extra for ridge vent and disposal. No carpentry involved.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have State Farm coverage on my car and motorcycle and am pleased with the claims process.

When some idiot tried to steal my motorcycle causing some damage, SF stepped up to the plate and covered everything. Keyless ignition saved the bike from being rode off. (But, who is the hell would steal a BMW?)

State Farm rates are a bit high but damage claims go smoothly, IMO.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve been with State Farm since I was 16 years old with my first car, parents made me pay my own insurance with a $200/year incentive from them toward that if I didn’t get any speeding tickets. That was 1988/89 and I recall paying around $1000 a year for it for my ‘67 Firebird.

Only had a 4 year break from them while I was in the Army and then right back to them, every couple years I try to find someone to beat their rates and NO ONE can even touch them.

I’m happy with them, my only complaint is they don’t cover windshield chip repair, only windshield replacement.

When we bought this sturdy old house in 2017, my State Farm insurance guy seemed very happy that it was block and brick all the way to the roof when we got our homeowners insurance set up.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I replaced my roof about 25 years ago. The shingles on the west side of the house dried up and blew off during a couple strong wind days.
I was having other house projects done and decided to call my insurance( homeowners) to see if they would do anything about the roof damage.
They had an adjuster come out and walk the roof.
A week later I was informed that after deductibles and prorating the insurance would pay nothing.

I had several roofer come out and estimate a new roof. I was surprised when all of them said, right at the start of examining the roof, "Oh, you had organic shingles installed last time".
None of the roofers were surprised at how poorly the roof shingles performed.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

They had an adjuster come out and walk the roof.
A week later I was informed that after deductibles and prorating the insurance would pay nothing.

That's exactly what I expected to happen here. I even included a note in the claim asking if I'd be better off just canceling it due to the age of the roof.

I'm still in shock that they covered it.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but good experience with State Farm, who I've had for my homeowner's, renter's, and auto insurance for the past 21 years.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I suspect if this is your first claim in 30 years that your rates won’t take much of a hit.

I have State Farm homeowner's insurance, and when I had a claim for my roof in 2018, my rate didn't take any hit. I didn't even lose my Claim-Free Discount.

Roof damage is considered an act of god, as opposed to homeowner negligence.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

But, who is the hell would steal a BMW?
I was living in NYC when I bought my first BMW, a new R-50, in 1961. Great commuter in city traffic.

Working day job at Bell Labs, going to school at Brooklyn PolyTech for evening classes.

Came out after class one evening, BMW was gone. Fargin' bastages!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've had SF as long as I've been insured. No issues with the auto side. However...

I had a couple roofing contractors come by to give my a quote on a minor repair. Everyone one of them said "hey, you know you have hail damage? I walked the roof and was shown the dents, especially on vent covers. Had SF come out to have a look and said "nope, just a bit of blistering from heat." Appealed and had my contractor provide detailed images of the damage. "Nope, doesn't warrant a second adjustor, claim denied."

I almost hope we have another documented hail storm just so they can pay on the roof right before I drop them once my renewal is up.

Sounds like I need your adjustor to come by.

Posts: 11347 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’ve had State Farm since 1981 and never had a problem. I won’t walk away from that over a few hundred bucks savings and I’ve explained that to every salesmen who’s asked me to switch for the last 20 years. I’m getting what I’m paying for and heard enough horror stories to know its worth it.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Aaaaaaaannnnd - we're done.

Uploaded a copy of the signed contract yesterday, they electronically deposited the depreciation refund today.

So I'm out $1575 for a brand new roof on a 24x48 garage.

Can't beat it with a stick.

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Great! Enjoy your new roof.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post