Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vigils Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've been to a funeral that had fireworks.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Oh, I see.

What we do is … put them in a boat, kick it offshore a bit, and then send a flaming arrow to send it ablaze w blessings on to the halls of Valhalla.

Then there’s this Irish tradition thing called a wake … Wink

I like your style.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
You forgot the empty liquor bottles!
Must be an inner-city thing. I understand the idea behind this but, frankly, I think leaving your empties on a memorial is damn rude. Razz
quote:
Such a tragedy for someone with a moniker like "half ounce", "wee-wee", "lil murder", "foo-fop" is taken from us soo soon!
Ain't nobody flowed like fop RIP

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ain't nobody flowed like fop RIP

I aint got fop. It'll be two weeks.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the " Rest in Peace " with the name and date on the back window of the car ? Roll Eyes

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Vigils…

I despise them. They have to easily be in the top 5 of the most effete, pussy-ass things a human being could ever take part in.

Do they overcome the space time continuum so the deceased can be saved? Do they say fuck cancer? Do they justly confront human evil? No to all. All they do is serve as an ad hoc group therapy session for the powerless and weak. Vigils telegraph that this is the best society can do and it’s total weak sauce.
Never been to a vigil,what I hate are these hikers that trek into moutain regions bordering hostile muslim or commie countries and get captured then whine poor,poor me.This has happened over the years.Rant over.....LOL

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best I ever saw was in
Kansas City. "Joe Smith" died and his memorial was in a bar. The announcement in the paper said it was at "XYZ"bar, and the first 10k of bar tab was covered by his estate. It was well attended, including by me. I actually knew him.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about the grotesque piles of plush toys purchased from the local CVS, mixed in with lit candles and handwritten sympathy cards? All piled up against a chain-link fence or some burn mark next to the road.

Late last year, there was a single-car crash where a car load of teenagers went off the road and struck a large tree immediately adjacent to the roadway and burst into flames killing three of the teens and injuring two more.

The site quickly became a very large roadside memorial with items surrounding the tree and also placed on and around the trunk and extending 3-4' upward. There were many candles ringing the tree and it was not unusual to see groups of 20 or more of the victims high school classmates and family members milling around the tree. Some even brought lawn chairs.

It must have become a concern that the close proximity of the memorial to the roadway could present a sufficient enough distraction to passing drivers to the point that another tragedy may occur because after a time, the entire tree was cut down, its stump was ground up and all memorial items were removed.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How about the grotesque piles of plush toys purchased from the local CVS, mixed in with lit candles and handwritten sympathy cards? All piled up against a chain-link fence or some burn mark next to the road.

I understand that people want to express their sympathy but this stuff with piles of junk which will have to be removed in a short time- yuck.

You forgot the empty liquor bottles!

These trinkets are often found on the streets of Chicago, and many other places, in order to commemorate the untimely passing of a future Rhodes scholar, the next person to go to the moon, cure cancer... Right after they were going to turn their life around.

Then there's the memorial t-shirts, often found with a childhood picture on it, like 6th grade graduation, and the recently deceased was 22yoa. (Because the most recent mug-shot photo is somehow in bad taste) The only better picture on the shirts is the one where the dearly departed looks like they were stricken with some disabling malady, probably arthritis- because that's the only way their fingers could twist like that.

Such a tragedy for someone with a moniker like "half ounce", "wee-wee", "lil murder", "foo-fop" is taken from us soo soon! They seem to have soo much to offer society.

Those monikers in certain cultures are as important to the “dindu’s” as monikers like “Plato,” “Homer,” and “Socrates” may be to us. Remember it is our lack of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Cultural Sensitivity that we can’t appreciate empty cheap liquor bottles, drug paraphernalia and stuffed animals as a lasting tribute to such an inspiring and influential character. A signal of our privilege and racist attitudes that we need to make reparations for; or a notice to call public works to bring a street sweeper and remove the garbage from a public way.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I view them as a social malady.

In America when 20 people gather together for whatever basic reason,
There will be ten people with three to five reasons to be there.

It's no different than church gatherings, pep rally's ,
Office pot lucks, save the planet rally's
Political gatherings ,
The walks for this disease or that medical condition.

There's never a single reason why Americans bunch up together.

Of the 90,00 football fans that jamb in to a stadium , you are going to find many many reasons why people feel the need to be in amongst many others.

More than a few are mental related.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPD SIG:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:

Those monikers in certain cultures are as important to the “dindu’s” as monikers like “Plato,” “Homer,” and “Socrates” may be to us. Remember it is our lack of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Cultural Sensitivity that we can’t appreciate empty cheap liquor bottles, drug paraphernalia and stuffed animals as a lasting tribute to such an inspiring and influential character. A signal of our privilege and racist attitudes that we need to make reparations for; or a notice to call public works to bring a street sweeper and remove the garbage from a public way.

Hopefully when the street sweeper rolls by, it gets the 2 legged garbage as well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post