SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My fault . I knew better .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My fault . I knew better . Login/Join 
posted
My freezer out in the garage was plugged into a GFCI receptacle . I knew better . I wish I had a dollar for every time I thought about changing the receptacle and told myself that I'll get around to it soon .
This morning I walked out in the garage and saw water on the floor in front of the freezer . I knew that was a very bad sign . I glanced at the receptacle and saw the little amber light . I dreaded opening the lid . Everything was defrosted . Mostly Deer meat but all good stuff . I took everything out and wiped all of the water out of the bottom and put it all back in . The garbage man doesn't come until Saturday and I don't want it to smell up the place . I replaced the receptacle like I should have done . Roll Eyes

Posts: 4294 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all need to learn the hard way sometimes.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My freezer out in the garage was plugged into a GFCI receptacle . I knew better . I wish I had a dollar for every time I thought about changing the receptacle and told myself that I'll get around to it soon .
This morning I walked out in the garage and saw water on the floor in front of the freezer . I knew that was a very bad sign . I glanced at the receptacle and saw the little amber light . I dreaded opening the lid . Everything was defrosted . Mostly Deer meat but all good stuff . I took everything out and wiped all of the water out of the bottom and put it all back in . The garbage man doesn't come until Saturday and I don't want it to smell up the place . I replaced the receptacle like I should have done . Roll Eyes

Plug that sucker back in to let it all refreeze, then straight in the trash on trash day. It will be gone before it defrosts and starts to stink again.

I know this because I too learned this lesson the hard way.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3588 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

Plug that sucker back in to let it all refreeze, then straight in the trash on trash day. It will be gone before it defrosts and starts to stink again.

I know this because I too learned this lesson the hard way.
I took everything out and cleaned up the yucky water in the bottom and put it all back in to refreeze . The garbage truck passes tomorrow . Big Grin

Posts: 4294 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get on of these, I have mine at eye level on the refrigerator door, you can also get one that sends an alarm to your phone...Cheep insurance and it's saved me when the door did not close all the way.

Amazon

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

My freezer out in the garage was plugged into a GFCI receptacle

But that's required according to code is it not?

I was told that ANY location that is basement/garage/shed/outdoor needs to be GFCI

Posts: 34726 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1860ARMY:
Get on of these, I have mine at eye level on the refrigerator door, you can also get one that sends an alarm to your phone...Cheep insurance and it's saved me when the door did not close all the way.

Amazon

That's a good idea!
I've got a fridge & freezer on the back patio, and we lost >$1k of meat when we had our pool built when one of the workers unplugged it to use a tool & didn't plug it back in.
1/2 cow worth of steaks & roasts Mad
This would've at least alerted us, luckily the pool builder credited us for the loss.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1860ARMY:
Get on of these,

Amazon

Similar, and it'll alert you: (Amazon link)
I'm very happy with mine so far.

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

My freezer out in the garage was plugged into a GFCI receptacle

But that's required according to code is it not?

I was told that ANY location that is basement/garage/shed/outdoor needs to be GFCI
Well , when the code Nazi's come pounding on my door , that's when I'll worry about it .

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Guess when I fix the intermittent lights in front of the garage, I’ll also make sure that the fridge in the garage isn’t on a GFI. I think it is. Thanks for the heads up.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post