SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hands free driving?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hands free driving? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The guy above got it right. Self driving isn’t meant to mean texting, watching a movie, or sleeping. Just like with aircraft you need to monitor the system. In fact it’s even more important with a car because there are so many more instant variables that can kill you. On a Boeing if the autopilot kicks off without warning you it will sloooowly kill you if you never notice. On a car the end result will occur much faster. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

On a Boeing if the autopilot kicks off without warning you it will sloooowly kill you if you never notice.
I never thought that a pilot would not notice an autopilot disengaging. Until I started flying with a guy I was training for the instrument rating. He had a habit of inadvertently bumping the pitch trim switch on the left side of his control yoke; using pitch trim is one of the five ways to disengage the autopilot on his model airplane.

The autopilot going off line was accompanied by a loud, obnoxious, piercing warning tone that was impossible to ignore, except that this guy managed to ignore it. Every. Single. Time. And then he would either fail to notice that the airplane was not holding attitude, altitude, or heading, or on the rare occasions the he did notice, he would not take any corrective action; instead, he would turn to me and say, "something isn't working right."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guy above got it right. Self driving isn’t meant to mean texting, watching a movie, or sleeping. Just like with aircraft you need to monitor the system. In fact it’s even more important with a car because there are so many more instant variables that can kill you.

^^^
In short, it takes more intelligence to use a car autopilot, because not only do you have to know how to drive, you also have to know how to manage the autopilot and when to turn it off.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
except that this guy managed to ignore it. Every. Single. Time. And then he would either fail to notice that the airplane was not holding attitude, altitude, or heading, or on the rare occasions the he did notice, he would not take any corrective action; instead, he would turn to me and say, "something isn't working right."

https://youtu.be/2fdTrXYvGLY

As for the OP yeah the first time I saw that commercial I thought to myself "how many idiots who have this tech are going to copy the commercial and get someone killed?"

Self driving is all fine and well until some Masshole cuts them off and slams on the brakes.

Posts: 798 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I enjoy driving - that's DRIVING. Not riding.

Me too so I'm surprised you didn't mention your S2000. Both of us cherish our iconic sportscars which of late have appreciated significantly in value because enthusiasts are realizing that cars like the S2000, which gives a pure driving experience without all the crap gizmos that defeat that, are no longer being made.

There's nothing like feeling connected to the road and shifting a slick manual transmission with a stick shift while the engine howls under your throttle control.

Could not agree more but I’ll add about 150 more ponies to the fun and put the engine where it belongs!
Nice color btw!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
In regards to the OP, wasn’t that Denali towing a travel trailer also??? Stupid on steroids!

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

On a Boeing if the autopilot kicks off without warning you it will sloooowly kill you if you never notice.
I never thought that a pilot would not notice an autopilot disengaging. Until I started flying with a guy I was training for the instrument rating. He had a habit of inadvertently bumping the pitch trim switch on the left side of his control yoke; using pitch trim is one of the five ways to disengage the autopilot on his model airplane.

The autopilot going off line was accompanied by a loud, obnoxious, piercing warning tone that was impossible to ignore, except that this guy managed to ignore it. Every. Single. Time. And then he would either fail to notice that the airplane was not holding attitude, altitude, or heading, or on the rare occasions the he did notice, he would not take any corrective action; instead, he would turn to me and say, "something isn't working right."

Did he get the rating?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
My wife has it on her 2022 CRV. She didn't realize it was active the first time she drove it and complained about the steering. The lane assist tries to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane, but that is not where she likes to drive, so it was a constant battle. To me it is a solution in search of a problem and it hasn't been active since.

We do not have a car with lane assist, but it would fight my wife all the time. She likes to shade way over to the right, because she is on the left, of course, and wants to place herself away from the lane marker while forgetting the right side of the car extends four or five feet to her right, placing the whole car far too close to the right edge of the lane. Never thought of that.

And yes, we all know (and GM knows) that self driving cars aren't really self driving and require constant monitoring, making them fairly useless in my book. But the car companies want to sell cars, and all that sexy tech looks good in the ads. And we know that as this tech gets more common, there will be more accidents as morons don't pay attention.

There probably will be a day when there are self driving cars, and they will be safer than human drivers. But that day isn't here yet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never liked even the idea of most of these "safety features". Rear view cameras, OK. But lane-assist and the like, no. Self-driving? Huge no. I think they encourage complacency and inattention, which IMO is a recipe for getting people killed. I'm actually surprised that the car designers' lawyers even allow them to be installed.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There probably will be a day when there are self driving cars, and they will be safer than human drivers. But that day isn't here yet.

I agree with this entirely and the technology is most certainly already here if it could operate in a closed environment (i.e., absent human drivers), but that's not possible, of course.

So... how do we get to the point where all vehicles are self-driving and the roads are equipped, as necessary, for them to operate as designed? More importantly, what does the transition look like?

Is this the same conversation that was had when horses had to share the roads with the automobile? What did that transition look like?

Obviously there's a vast difference owing to population density, but the issues at their core are mostly the same, I think.

It's not going to happen without incident, but more than 35,000 people die in traffic accidents in the United States every year without the involvement of self-driving vehicles. Should we abandon this entire future due to what will be statistically insignificant, but headline leading accidents? That would be foolish, IMO. Especially if the end result is an extraordinarily dramatic decrease (even near elimination) of traffic deaths.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have lane assist in the Toyota and love it. Driving in the dark on a 2 lane road with super heavy rain or fog, if I drive too slow I worry about someone slamming into my rear, with lane assist and if I drive to fast I worry I'll rear end someone driving slow. The car also has the feature that will slow down and stop of there is someone in front, I have a lot more confidence I'll get there alive.

Absolutely love it. Can't wait to get a self driving fully autonomys vehicle.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Seen the commercial. No thank you! If I'm in the driver seat. I control the car.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post