SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spring and the war of the sparrows.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring and the war of the sparrows. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
It’s that time of year again. That time of year when the house sparrows that live in the bushes in my yard, go to war! They go to war with the sparrows that live in the side view mirrors of all my cars. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Those poor little buggers fight it out all day every day. And every couple days I have to clean the mirrors and clean the poop off the car doors.

I’ve even tried covering the mirrors with shop rags, but I guess I’m not using big enough, heavy enough ones because they managed to get the rag off so they can continue the fight! Oh well.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

About time for the big Tom Turkeys to start sparring too. Had a flock in the front yard a couple of days ago.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robins are at my basement windows trying to get at the ones in my basement. Smile
Have been covering one window at a time, as I cover one they move on to the next.
Last year it was a cardinal. Never seen anything like this before.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Chickadees routinely bounce off the glass door on my patio.
Doesnt seem to hurt them!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminding me...
Every spring I have to put an empty water bottle on top of my porch light... Lil shits like to put a nest there every year and aren't too keen on paying rent.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Do the mirrors on your car fold in? That might be the easiest solution if they do.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Our resident cardinal is just plain nuts. The male will peck vehicle side mirrors so we would slip a plastic grocery bag over them secured with a rubber band. That worked but he just moved to the wheels to peck the hub caps & sit on the rear wiper to peck the back glass. He also went after various windows around the house. I took several videos of him and he is one determined little comedian.

He seemed much tamer last summer but the year before if someone came over to visit he was pecking their mirrors within minutes of the car being parked. We keep feeders in the front yard and out of all the birds that hang around the cardinal is the wackiest.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My roommate likes birds. So we have a pair of feeders hanging from the patio roof in the back yard, and dozens of little whatever birds live in the hedge across the back of the property. That wouldn't be so bad, except when they're done eating they fly over the roof and shit all over my truck in the driveway out front. And her cat is no help. Laziest cat I think I've ever seen. My dogs have killed more mice than that cat has.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What makes the birds so angry?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I think because it’s reproductive season.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

If people kept launching you out of an oversized slingshot, you'd an angry bird too. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
We've got a psycho Bluebird that does the same thing on our cars.

This best $9 you'll ever spend.

Mirror Covers

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I’ve even tried covering the mirrors with shop rags, but I guess I’m not using big enough, heavy enough ones because they managed to get the rag off so they can continue the fight! Oh well.

If it bugs you then consider getting one of the windshield covers that also covers the side mirrors. If they will stay on during a windy winter storm, it would seem they would withstand a bird attack. Someone might ask why you're using a winter windshield cover during the spring - but that's a different story.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We are infested with pairing birds this year.

They are all under the car port and the front porch. I have to fill the feeders every other day.

All of them are welcome at Casa de Marzy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Ha, we had a robin last year, kept going after hubby’s pickup. Kept landing on the side mirror, pecking at the window, pooping all over it.
We started trying to watch for the little bugger when we could, otherwise we had to garage it. We finally caught him one sunny day, watched him. Everytime he landed on the truck, we beeped the horn. Scared the daylights out of him. He was determined, and kept coming back.
We managed to keep doing it, and he finally gave up. He was a little bugger, glad he finally left.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post