SIGforum
Our Local Grocery Has Gone Bananas

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6050035384

July 19, 2021, 01:07 PM
cne32507
Our Local Grocery Has Gone Bananas
Raley’s is a regional family-owned grocery chain based in Sacramento. The owner is having their existing stores converted to a new concept O-N-E Market:

Raley's O-N-E Market, the long–anticipated vision of Raley's owner, Michael Teel, is set apart from a conventional grocery store thanks to a highly curated assortment of products that are fresh, nutritious, organic when possible, minimally processed and sustainably sourced.” The CEO stated they are “progressive”: "We are changing the way America eats one plate at a time."

I shopped the O-N-E Market in Reno and found:
Catsup: Only high-priced boutique organic brands that were expensive. Same with other condiments: mayo, mustard, pickles. No Heintz, Best Foods, French’s.
Eggs: Only cage-free eggs that were 3X the price.
Bacon: Only uncured bacon.
They did have Raley’s organic products to compete with the boutique brands.

Raley’s is the only large grocery store in our little resort town. I asked the manager about this and he said both the owner and CEO came by a few weeks ago to discuss converting “our” store. What they are doing is REMOVING normal brands that they deem unhealthy: No choice, you just can't buy them in their store. I won't stand for the Raley's owner trying to force this on me even if I have to drive 30 minutes to Safeway.
July 19, 2021, 01:26 PM
SPWAMike0317
Wow, sounds like to only thing progressive at O-N-E will be the decline in business.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
July 19, 2021, 01:31 PM
Krazeehorse
That's the best plan. Vote with your dollars.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.
July 19, 2021, 01:34 PM
selogic
Sounds like Whole Foods . I took my Mom there a couple of times . I didn't recognize one brand in there . The Meat and produce were awesome though .
July 19, 2021, 01:52 PM
PASig
“Curated”

Ugh. Another trendy word these days.

And there’s no such thing as “uncured” bacon. It’s a marketing term designed to fool dumb people into thinking it’s more “healthy”. Bacon isn’t bacon without being cured somehow, what they usually use are celery extracts which are naturally high in nitrates.

They’ll be out of business within 6 months. Roll Eyes

July 19, 2021, 02:39 PM
GWbiker
There are three Whole Foods stores in Tucson area with the same no popular brand selections. Posted prices are high. Customer traffic is brisk. Service is excellent. Store have been around for years. Now owned by Amazon.

I guess some shoppers look for quality and high prices.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
July 19, 2021, 02:53 PM
konata88
I’ve been to ONE and it didn’t strike me as much different than a normal one. I’ll look closer next time. I usually don’t shop there but do like their bread. Soft and tasty.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
July 19, 2021, 03:17 PM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
That's the best plan. Vote with your dollars.

And your feet. I do.
July 19, 2021, 03:34 PM
trebor44
Boutique grocery stores are critical for your bladder (only known use are the 'facilities'). How many 1%s does it take to make them 'survival'! High foot traffic with NO revenue is telling!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!
July 19, 2021, 03:40 PM
berto
Dang. Too bad they're going the Whole Foods route. I hope the South Lake Tahoe store stays away from the nonsense.
July 19, 2021, 04:20 PM
YooperSigs
The Yooper version of this is the Marquette Co-Op food store. A combination of vegan / eco friendly / sustainable / non GMO / weird foreign foods at outrageous prices. Their Deli gets good reviews, though. Many tourists and Biden voters shop there. Live music, too. So you can shop and disco all at once.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 19, 2021, 05:00 PM
LS1 GTO
FYSA - CA stores can only sell cage free chicken eggs (if I understand the [new] law correctly).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

July 19, 2021, 05:25 PM
Graniteguy
The biggest difference I have noticed with these stores are the prices.
July 19, 2021, 05:45 PM
jhe888
You can't convince me that the canned tuna at Whole Foods doesn't have just a much dolphin in it as regular tuna.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
July 19, 2021, 05:51 PM
arfmel
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Sounds like Whole Foods . I took my Mom there a couple of times . I didn't recognize one brand in there . The Meat and produce were awesome though .

“Whole Paycheck”
July 19, 2021, 06:15 PM
F12517
I am in Placer county not far from you and thus I am familiar with the Raley's/Bel Air/Knob Hill branded grocery store. Raley's used to be a solid local grocery store. Sounds like with this move they're looking to try and compete with Whole Paycheck, Trader Joes and Nugget stores. All of whom seem to cater to the snobby, granola cruncher Biden supporter types. Not your demographic for the greater Reno market by any means. I could see it in Truckee, Lake Tahoe, and Bay Area markets. But Reno? They should be adding these as an addition to Raley's stores, not closing Raley's to replace it with this woke shit store. Sounds like y'all need a Winco up there asap!
July 28, 2021, 03:59 PM
joel9507
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Raley’s is the only large grocery store in our little resort town.
I won't stand for the Raley's owner trying to force this on me even if I have to drive 30 minutes to Safeway.

Be sure to mention Raley's dumb move to the manager at the Safeway when you go. The grocery business is very competitive and they may well be motivated to take advantage.