SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Automated Bottle Return
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Automated Bottle Return Login/Join 
Picture of eTripper
posted
Every time I attempt to cash-in a few bottles, some asshole; has at least a whole garbage bag, full of empties! To make matters worse some of the stations are out of order, or the 'Call Attendant Bin Full' notice comes on. You walk way-up to 'Customer Service', and inform them. They say will send somebody back there to take care of the problem. Then the dip-shit, never shows up! It clearly states no more than twenty-dollars in deposit, can be redeemed for a particular day.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes to the return issues. The State likes to keep the unclaimed deposits, MI was $1 million plus last I looked.

Nothing here in WI. I used to bring bottles/cans from WI to MI, the ones with a refund. I’ve since backed off the hassle.

https://www.bottlebill.org/ind...r-abandoned-deposits

One of the sneakier things is the low deposit on say a bottle of water, 5 cents. It will unlikely get returned, just another consumer tax for the State.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole "put the can in the hole" thing is one of the worst experiences of the Yooper grocery store:
Half the machines are full.
Idiots trying to repeatedly insert a bottle / can that the machine rejects.
The can room is filthy and disgusting.
After a weekend, our now tolerably sober college kids show up at the machine with a grocery cart full of cans, causing all the machines to fill up and shut down.
Idiots who let their toddlers put the cans into the machine.
After all this, you get to the check out lines (behind the same idiots you were behind at the machine) and forget to turn in your can receipt to the cashier, thereby screwing yourself out of the profits from your ordeal.
I have cut my losses and throw the damn cans away. Life is too short.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were in Oregon and walked into a grocery. As we entered, something stunk. Turned out the stench was a bottle/can return.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Ours is kept fairly clean and they opened up 2 more machines finally dropping the covid rule.
The last time I was there someone had not pushed the button to claim their $1.20 receipt. Smile
I added to it bringing the total up to $5.??, collapsed and filed my cardboard and promptly walked out forgetting the slip. Mad I didn't remember until it was way too late.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife is from Michigan, she goes up to visit a few months back, has a canned drink, crushes the can and throws it in the garbage.

Dad has a mini-fit. She's been gone a long time and forgot about the deposits. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am that person who waits until a decent amount of these are collected before going to the inconvenience of returning these to get my money back, rather than being inconvenienced on every trip to the store returning a few.

I absolutely detest the entire program. Eliminate the deposit so I can just crush these and throw them in the recycle bin without being out the ten cents each.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much do you have to pay for the deposit on a 6 pack of bottles? Seems to me it might be cheaper to just drop 'em in the trash rather than put up with the wait, smell, etc.

OTOH, I'm from Florida and, so far, we don't have such things as deposits on bottles here. I may just not understand.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I left home, back Ohio way - deposit on 16 oz bottles was 10 cents each. Saw more than one person cruising the main road garbage bins early morning scrounging them up.

My father liked his Strohs beer in bottles (case) also, those always went back for credit when he wanted more.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are very progressive here. We take the bottles and cans to the range and blow them up. No bottle deposit law here. We eliminated the auto safety inspection as well. We seem to do fine with fewer regulations.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah my aunt told me about this nonsense in Oregon and how big of a pain it is.

Here in Arizona we don’t have this craziness, but I suppose if we did I’d just be out another 10 cents a bottle because there’s no chance it’s worth the hassle.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Seriously? You’re that worried about your $.30? Yeah, I’m the asshole with 200 cans in the bag to make my trip to the machine worthwhile. Razz I’m not really that guy, but since I give my cans to the church, that guy could be my pastor.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post