SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People Who Are WAY Too Offended by a Curse Word (as in, a single use)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Who Are WAY Too Offended by a Curse Word (as in, a single use) Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Best comeback I heard was a guy who got called out for language by a Karen.

"What the fuck you mean I ain't couth?" he bellowed at a volume that could be heard in the next county.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:...oh well, damned airplane mechanics.

We put the damned things together with all the fucks we can use, with the hopes that the pilot doesn't have to use any...

Admit it. Most of your fucks were aimed at us pilots. Smile

Only on the days which end in "y." Wink

With just over 50 years as an Air Force Crew Chief and a FAA certified A&P Mechanic, the folks I've met and had conversations with amaze me. Most (no, not all) of the military pilots have a GAF factor but most of the civilian pilots are (again, not all) just plain rude and arogant.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:...oh well, damned airplane mechanics.

We put the damned things together with all the fucks we can use, with the hopes that the pilot doesn't have to use any...

Admit it. Most of your fucks were aimed at us pilots. Smile

Only on the days which end in "y." Wink

With just over 50 years as an Air Force Crew Chief and a FAA certified A&P Mechanic, the folks I've met and had conversations with amaze me. Most (no, not all) of the military pilots have a GAF factor but most of the civilian pilots are (again, not all) just plain rude and arogant.

I hear you.

Was an electrician on F-14s for 18 of my 23 years in the Navy. I would challenge the maintainers were, [only] sometimes, more concerned about the quality of the aircraft than the pilot and RIO.

But, in hindsight, I also feel the aircrew knew the pride we took, considered the aircrew our professional friends, and trusted us when we said we'd be willing to get in the backseat because we trusted our repair(s) that much. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I watch my mouth in the presence of children.
Grown motherfuckers can shit into the wind if they don't like my god damned mouth however.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told her that she had heard it before, this wasn't a Sunday school, she was likely to hear it again, and that I didn't want to hear about it any more from her.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The best reply to “You shouldn’t use that word” is Ruby Sue.

https://youtu.be/mmSagEecXtU

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were having lunch in a bar, the kind with a dining section and a bar section. A woman came in with her kid, and, for some reason, sat in the bar. During a conversation I said "fuck." The woman asked my to watch my language in the presence of her child. I pointed out that she was sitting in a BAR, and she could carry her fat ass across the restaurant to the "dine only" section.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
So, did Karen move to the restaurant side?

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
USMC "which word?"

This goes on for a few more rounds until OL says "fuck"

USMC "why not, you just did"

Whether or not "OL" is overly sensitive, which she may well be, this interchange makes "USMC" out to be a certifiable asshole. Wink

What if "USMC" was sensitive to something, say the relative merits of various branches of the Armed Forces, and OL kept at him until he was forced to repeat "the Coast Guard is better than the Marines" out of context?

You can put OL into a pigeonhole of 'people who are WAY too offended by a curse word' but you would also then need to put USMC into his own pigeonhole of 'people who are WAY too triggered by people being sensitive to curse words.'

TL: DR - Takes two to tango, and this fracas was not necessary. Wink

Note: Like Mark Twain, I admire people who can swear well. That said, frequent usage by itself does not imply proficiency.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
What if "USMC" was sensitive to something, say the relative merits of various branches of the Armed Forces, and OL kept at him until he was forced to repeat "the Coast Guard is better than the Marines" out of context?

When I'm around other Veterans, we sling endless insults back and forth about the merits of each branch and nobody gets offended.

It seems to me that too many people are spending full time looking for something to be offended about and it needs to stop.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Put me in the “get over yourself” camp.

It’s a word. Nobody likes a whiny ninny. “I’m offended that you’re offended”, and whatnot.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You’ve got a whole section of society now that wakes up offended.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
“There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.”
-Frank Zappa

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
USMC "which word?"

This goes on for a few more rounds until OL says "fuck"

USMC "why not, you just did"

Whether or not "OL" is overly sensitive, which she may well be, this interchange makes "USMC" out to be a certifiable asshole. Wink

You obviously don't spend too much time around Marines. We don't get offended. Nor are we sensitive. Drill Instructors, then some time in the Barracks beat that stuff right out of ya! Marines, current and former just don't fuckin care.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
The issue here for me is not using the word, or her right, or your right to curse whenever you want.

The issue is context, and the fact it was at WORK, on a work call, in a professional setting, etc.

Not at the bar, not among friends, not anywhere else...

That is the sole difference, and reason I believe USMC handled it poorly AFTER it was brought to her attention.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post