SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not liking this week so far
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not liking this week so far Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Well, sorry but I need to vent here.

Tomorrow I may find out what is happening at work. To start, I’m retired and work part time in a motorcycle dealership, parts to be exact. Started in the business on a part time basis while I was working full time in car dealership parts departments, found I really liked the motorcycle end but did not have the financial potential that automotive did.

So upon retirement four years ago I started working two to three days a week, not getting rich but having a good time in it. End of 2019 the dealership I worked at closed and consolidated, now my drive of twelve miles increased to thirty two miles. That came with a raise, started in January last year, three months into that came the Covid layoff for two months. Got called back and been there since.

Beginning of the month we were informed the dealership has sold, word is that tomorrow is the day that we are all terminated and then interviewed by the new owners for rehire, a formality I suppose.

My concern is an offer that is less money and or full time only. At 69 and the wife at 66 I don’t want or need to work full time, want part time only, need to get out of the house just a bit. So, in anticipation I bought some immediate needs for both my 82 which is in being painted and my daily rider 02, might as well use my discount to the fullest, right?

So, I’m kind of dreading tomorrow, we shall see how that all comes out.

So today I go to a friend’s house to work on one of his collector cars for him. No start, cranks, no fuel. As it’s a 66k late 60s car I figure the fuel pump is bad. I pick up a new pump for him, put it on, crank engine, no fuel delivery. Full tank presently. Got a couple more thing to check, hope I don’t need to drop the tank. I’m still confident that the original pump was bad though.

He got a little upset with me as I would not take any money for the pump, I have my reasons. I know that I’ll get it going but just feel a bit stupid that I can’t get it running tonight. Guess I’ll tackle it next weekend, well that is unless I have an extra two or three days a week starting tomorrow....Wink

Onwards to the next chapter of “this is gonna be a week.....”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Good luck on what will happen today. Sometimes new owners use this time to weed out the "non-workers" in the group. Info they may have gotten from previous owners.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Heck, you’re retired and don’t need the $? “Come see, come saw” would be my attitude.
Hope you get your friends vehicle up and running, and that your week goes better.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, don't sweat the small stuff. I lost my part time job, but found a better one (in a gun shop, no less) two days later.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
With the shortage of workers I wouldn't be worried, might ask for a raise too

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping it's just a formality.

New owners might just want to put eyes on their people, and to get employees used to the new powers-that-be.

But, in any event, it's good that you've got your eyes open and are anticipating all outcomes. Good luck!

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to dread something like that when you're already retired and don't need the money.
Lot's of things to do to keep entertained when you have that kind of flexibility.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
When my ex wife bought an existing daycare center she kept the employees but lowered some of the free childcare benefits for staff. It screwed her because when some quit they got unemployment benefits and my wife’s insurance went up. She should have done the rehire thing to avoid it. So it’s a necessary formality.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
when some quit they got unemployment benefits and my wife’s insurance went up.
Do the rules for unemployment compensation vary from state to state? I run a small (mom & pop) business. When one of my employees quit and applied for unemployment compensation, I told the unemployment insurance department that he had made his own decision to quit, I had not fired him nor laid him off, and I asked them to explain why this guy's decision to try to collect unemployment compensation instead of working, should result in higher tax costs for me. Their response told me to disregard, my unemployment tax rate would not be increased as a result of this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come up to the Yoop. All the pot shops are hiring delivery drivers. $25 an hour!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I got a bill from my dentist for over $1k today. Hope that makes you feel a little better.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Come up to the Yoop. All the pot shops are hiring delivery drivers. $25 an hour!

Nothing personal but no thanks. Eleven months a year of winter is a bit much for me!

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

I got a bill from my dentist for over $1k today.
Count you blessings. I was just told that I'm looking at maybe five large.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, go out to get lunch today, things are still unsettled at work.

Go to Panera. Barbecued Chicken sandwich on the menu. Their Turkey usually has a taste akin to paper so I figured I’d try one but first I ask what is on it. One item I ask to omit, the cheese and if they use butter to also omit.

So when I go to the window to pick up my order and look at the receipt it clearly says “Smokehouse BBQ Chicken Sdw” and below that in smaller letters “No Smoked Chicken”. So upon checking the order before I leave, that is exactly what I have, everything is there EXCEPT the Chicken, down to the BBQ sauce.

So back to the order window I go! Second time was the charm! The manager and I both had a slight laugh at that one.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Arby"s drive thru ordering 4 ruben sandwiches. Drive to window / pay / drive off and arrive at home 5 minutes later . Find something totally different in bag but ticket showed showed what was in the bag but was not what as ordered. I imedately go back and mistake taken care of and got the correct sandwiches and they refused to take back the wrong order. So over the next 3 days puppy dog "Harley" got a special treat. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Shovelhead, did the new owners come to a decision? I hope they haven’t kept you up in the air all week.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
and they refused to take back the wrong order.

That’s every place that serves food. Nobody takes back food once it has left the server’s hand. At a restaurant, they’ll take it back to clear it off the table and perhaps upcook it a bit if that’s the problem, otherwise it goes straight in the trash.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beancooker:
Shovelhead, did the new owners come to a decision? I hope they haven’t kept you up in the air all week.[/QUOTE

Heard nothing at present. I have my own thoughts on what and why.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Irreverent:

quote:
“Come see, come saw” would be my attitude.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh out loud when I read that.
I know exactly what you meant, but it's actually French, spelled "comme çi, comme ça", literally "like this, like that", or figuratively "What difference does it make?"

That's our French phrase of the day. Big Grin

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post