SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Greenville S.C. News / Gannet rip off
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greenville S.C. News / Gannet rip off Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I've written twice to the Greenville News here (they aren't really here anymore but somewhere else) about a company ripping subscribers off.. putting aside a 100% price increase over the last 2 years if you don't receive the product of which you paid 2.50 for they will gladly give you a credit of 30 cents back. You can't make this stuff up... I've even written to the CEO about this with no reply. My point being you would think a scam like this if it was more money.. example: you pay $250 for a service that you don't get and are refunded $30 would be a big deal. If you haven't figured it out, this is the Greenville News that is doing this and so they of course are not going to report it. Oh, and I just got a letter this past week that they are no longer going to deliver a Saturday paper but the subscription price will stay the same. As an old worn out geezer I blame it all on these young people who want everything electronic.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago I did an acquisition review for a client wanting to buy a subsidiary of Gannett that was for sale. I sat in a conference room at their corporate office in McLean, Va asking to review financial details. What I found was an undisclosed customer contract that was not being renewed in about six months. This customer (Sears Roebuck) made up 60% of the subsidiary's revenue. We immediately called a meeting with Gannett's responsible attorney's & they admitted what I had found was true. They were crooks then & have never changed.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not cancel your subscription? There's no way I could see myself paying a penny for some liberal rag.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

Why not cancel your subscription? There's no way I could see myself paying a penny for some liberal rag.
If he's like me, he wants to scan the local obituaries first thing in the morning. If I don't see my name listed, I go about my daily routine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
WSJ will still deliver to your door...

Presidents Day special running

https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjusbfcm22nd/

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until several years ago, we had a wonderful local newspaper that was targeted specifically at the county we live in. Gannett bought them out and most of the local staff was let go and the paper devolved into mostly reprinted articles from USA Today. Print media is struggling but Gannett seems like they're doing everything they can to hasten the demise of newspapers in general.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
64dodge tagged exactly what has happened here... I like to read the paper every couple of days but I buy it for my wife. Often when I read it some of the writing drives me up the wall.. I will readily admit I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree and I failed freshman english twice... switched to journalism and could actually do that but these new reporters.... well you know. And it seems the paper about 20 years or more ago got rid of any proof readers.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post