SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My son is taking his Driver’s test in my F350
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son is taking his Driver’s test in my F350 Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Great news, must be a good driver. Motorcycle test in Ohio is tough, maybe its a universal test, don't know. I took it on a BMW 1200cc bike at about 600 lbs. I passed but it was tough.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Great news, must be a good driver. Motorcycle test in Ohio is tough, maybe its a universal test, don't know. I took it on a BMW 1200cc bike at about 600 lbs. I passed but it was tough.

Took mine in Ohio, just north of Cincinnati in the Tri-County area, rode the bike over on 275, it was a 78 GS 400 I got from my BIL after he passed in CA.

First two in front of me failed, not confidence inspiring, but the little GS 400 was perfect for the course. Passed and got the endorsement, a good ride back home too

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Was going to say, go for in the F350, life has setbacks, you have to learn to adapt and work with things.

Half of life is just showing up and there was no way we weren’t going to do that. I told him sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you have. I’m glad we did it and it worked out. It was a real confidence boost for him and a great life lesson. I told my wife what was going on, but didn’t tell her he passed. I had to finish my dad’s taxes, so I had my son drop me off at my dad’s, and drive home by himself. My wife figured it out when I didn’t walk in with him.

I checked the Beetle out today. The battery measured 12.7 volts. The batteries in the key fobs measured 3 volts which should be good for 2032s. I drove it around for an hour with both keys and had no issues. My code reader said there were no codes to read. My dad has been driving it weekly, 180 miles round trip to his cancer treatments in Tampa without any issues. It’s a mystery.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest as others have getting a rental. Because there isn't any way in the world he'll be able to pass the parking requirement with a F350 Crew Cab Long bed.

As for me, I actually passed on the first try. The car I used was my Dad's 1971 Chrysler 300 with a TNT 440. The next door neighbors kid got to use his Dad's Toy Car, a Ford Model T with a Speedster body. BTW, the model T transmission was controlled by pedals, reverse was the center pedal down while holding the forward drive pedal in Neutral (halfway between up and down). Low forward was left pedal down and high forward was left pedal all the way up. Parking required a delicate dance between the two pedals.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I would suggest as others have getting a rental. Because there isn't any way in the world he'll be able to pass the parking requirement with a F350 Crew Cab Long bed.

As for me, I actually passed on the first try. The car I used was my Dad's 1971 Chrysler 300 with a TNT 440. The next door neighbors kid got to use his Dad's Toy Car, a Ford Model T with a Speedster body. BTW, the model T transmission was controlled by pedals, reverse was the center pedal down while holding the forward drive pedal in Neutral (halfway between up and down). Low forward was left pedal down and high forward was left pedal all the way up. Parking required a delicate dance between the two pedals.

Scooter, scooter, scooter. He passed. Smile

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Big Grin You can really tell who didn’t even read the first post, let alone any other posts, can you not?

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a rental? LOL

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I took my motorcycle endorsement on a Honda Trail 70. The guy in front of my flunked on his 750 Honda. After I passed the examiner asked if the guy who flunked could use my "bike" to get a little familiar and then test on it. Of course, I'm a nice guy. He rode around for a few minutes, then passed with flying colors.

Don't know why they don't know where there front tire is, its right in front of you. Those big bikes are a bit difficult.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Good to hear he passed! Our kids are close in age.

Was there a parallel parking requirement for the test? That’s the only thing he doesn’t have nailed down perfectly but I thought it wasn’t on the test down in FL.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for him. That is a heck of a job using the truck for a driver's test. I had to use my parents '77 Ford LTD for my first driver's test. It was like driving a cruise ship. Of course I failed driving it due to the parallel parking part of it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Good to hear he passed! Our kids are close in age.

Was there a parallel parking requirement for the test? That’s the only thing he doesn’t have nailed down perfectly but I thought it wasn’t on the test down in FL.

No parallel parking. There’s the Y-turn, aka 3-point turn, and pulling forward into a perpendicular parking space.

He took a driver’s ed class through the high school with a local driving school. Six hours of classroom instruction and six hours of individual on the road instruction. The instructor is a licensed examiner and gave my son a mock exam at the end explaining what the examiner would be looking for and what things would result in an automatic fail.

With the Y-turn, two tires touching the edge of the road is an automatic fail. They give you a 20’-40’ wide area to do it. His instructor said the local DMV had 30’ and we knew the truck wouldn’t be able to do it in 30’. My son said that after he went back and forth many times, the examiner told him he was confident my son could do it in a normal car and to just go ahead and go in the grass to get it done.

With the perpendicular parking, there’s cones. Hitting a cone is an automatic fail. Hitting the curb in the front is also an automatic fail. Your are allowed to back up once and adjust to get centered. I don’t know how my son did this as we had never practiced it. We practiced backing in because that’s what you do with a truck. My son said he had to go around because there was a dually sticking out on the opposite side of the spot he was supposed to park in. And that’s the other reason for backing in: the front over hang is much shorter that the rear over hang. Backing in leaves less of the truck sticking out beyond the parking spot.

Anyway, it would be a cakewalk with a small car.

Your son will do fine.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I’ve taken him to the local DMV where he will be taking his test on a couple Sundays and we’ve practiced on their track with their cones and everything so he should be good, but like I said his parallel parking isn’t 100% and we haven’t focused on it too much as I’d heard it wasn’t on the test and we’ve been focusing on that lately.

He’s been practicing almost exclusively in my old 99 truck which has no rear view camera or anything fancy, but he’s spending this last few weeks practicing with his moms car that is smaller than my truck and has all the tech he can use.

I wanted him to learn how to drive without all that shit first, but for the test I figure we’ll give him every advantage possible. We told him that he won’t actually get to drive without an adult until we are 100% satisfied regardless of the DMVs opinion on the matter, but he’s pretty close to my approval too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Move to Mississippi. Driving test waived in lieu of parental affidavit indicating parental instruction in driving. Cost cutting.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Move to Mississippi. Driving test waived in lieu of parental affidavit indicating parental instruction in driving. Cost cutting.

Well that sounds like a terrible idea.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, that doesn’t seem like a great idea based on watching the other parents driving while taking my kids to and from school. Eek

I look at the road test as a minimum standard. We’re going to sign him up for this next:

He had over 100 hours before we signed him up for the driver’s ed through the high school. We did it in case I missed something. Apparently, the instructor told him the proper way to merge onto I75 was to do 50mph on the on ramp until the dotted lines, then gun it into an opening. Roll Eyes I missed that one. For years, I’ve been wondering what the heck is wrong with people I’ve been stuck behind doing 50 on the on ramp trying to merge with traffic doing 80. I had no idea this was a technique that is actually taught.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Well that sounds like a terrible idea.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They cut out the safety inspection as well. The elimination initially was due to COVID. Agree not a good idea, but Mississippi is a live and let live state.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congrats Trapper. That is no small accomplishment and one he’ll remember for the rest of his life.

If I may, let me suggest that he takes a “Street Survival Driving Course”. It is sponsored by TireRack and usually taught by volunteers from a local BMW or PCA car club that has instructors. I have never had a kid not enjoy the day and even had parents come up to me and ask if they could take the course!

https://streetsurvival.org/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^Excellent! There’s one April 15 and I’ll see how that fits with his final exams for the semester.

On another note, we had him drive himself to swim practice yesterday since my other son gets picked up at 3 and my daughter had a function in Fort Myers at 5:45. Practice is from 3-5. Only the second time he’s driven by himself and it took him over an hour to get home because of this:

Man arrested after standoff with deputies in downtown Punta Gorda

“Currie drank from a Patron Silver bottle and a Bud Lite can while speaking with law enforcement. He had slurred speech and at times would fall asleep.

Based on the information provided by the Collier County Sheriff’s Office, Charlotte County deputies say they handled the situation with the assumption Currie was armed.

After a three-hour standoff and multiple commands, Currie started his truck and drove around 30 feet towards the exit of the parking lot but encountered stop sticks. After finally exiting his vehicle, Currie was tased. One of the darts struck him below the right eye.

Currie was taken to the hospital. Deputies searched his GMC Sierra and found a Daniels Defense 5.56 rifle between the passenger seat and console, a Kimber in the driver’s rear door pocket and a silver Kimber in the driver’s door console pocket.

The Kimber firearms were within arm’s reach of the driver and in the same area where James kept reaching. A Smith & Wesson 9 mm was found inside a cardboard box in the rear passenger seat. All of the firearms were loaded.”

Of course, he won’t use his phone while driving because we told him not to. I hadn’t set it up or taught him how to use the hands free stuff, so my wife started to freak out a bit. He’s fine. He said he figured it was some sort of active shooter thing based on all the police everywhere and closed/blocked off roads. His words, not mine.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin
So, what?
You couldn't find a school bus?

Big Grin Big Grin

That got me grinning,
Thanks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post