SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "...It's through-and-through, you're lucky."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"...It's through-and-through, you're lucky." Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Always makes me wonder if the script writer's version of luck is being confused with fucked.

The vast majority of game animals I've eaten had been through-and-throughed...it was acutely unlucky for them.

On the flip side of this, what is with the urgent need in shows to get the bullet out? I'd think other things would take priority. I get that eventually it will be a lead poisoning risk etc., but the baddies are at the door so maybe patch the surface and get the hell out first?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
On the flip side of this, what is with the urgent need in shows to get the bullet out?

That one always cracked me up. Big Grin

Take out the bullet and they are cured and the damage the bullet caused magically goes away.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Why the double "throughs"?
"It went clean through"
Why twice?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Similarly, 99% of bullet wounds fit 1 of 3 categories:

1) Instantly fatal. Lights out. DRT. Most often applies to nameless extras.

2) Minor flesh wound that the character shrugs off. Perhaps needing to have the bullet removed with a pocket knife first. But no big deal.

3) Gut shot, low and to one side, to hide until its dramatic reveal immediately after accomplishing their important task, and then they croak.

quote:
On the flip side of this, what is with the urgent need in shows to get the bullet out?

Because it's what audiences have been led to expect. And it's a cheap script shortcut to show them getting medical care that can be handled in a few seconds of screen time: Do a quick montage showing some medical dude with some forceps, then a close-up of them dropping a bullet into a pan, then a shot of either sewing them up or taping a gauze pad over the spot. Then, on with the plot like it never happened!

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Take out the bullet and they are cured and the damage the bullet caused magically goes away.

Exactly. This bullet wound is always directly in the middle of the shoulder structure - not a graze that creased the outer flesh but a penetrating wound directly into the middle of the complex bone/muscle/cartilage structure of the shoulder - and then a few minutes or hours after getting the bullet dug out, they're hanging for their life off the side of a building/helicopter/cliff by that same shoulder, yet are able to muscle themselves up to safety using that recently destroyed shoulder.

One of the guys I work with was shot "through and through" with the bullet entering at his hip, passing through the hip joint structure, and exiting out his buttock. It took five months of surgeries and rehab for him to get (mostly) back to normal.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
then a close-up of them dropping a bullet into a pan...

You beat me to it. There has to be the obligatory dropping. Whether it is a bullet, an arrowhead, some space debris (e.g. The Martian), etc. it's briefly examined and then ceremoniously dropped into a metal pan with a satisfying "clunk."

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6730 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
"It went clean through"
Why twice?

Through the skin on once side, then through the skin and out on the other side.

If it's not a through and through, the bullet is still lodged inside somewhere.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
"It went clean through"
Why twice?

The terminology is still ridiculous.
An in and out.
A through shot.
A "dinnt hit nuth'n import'nt"
Any of those make more sense than just referring to the penetration of skin.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The vast majority of game animals I've eaten had been through-and-throughed...it was acutely unlucky for them.

Guess it depend on what it went through on the way through......

Reminds me of the Doctor scene from Wick 3 that really picks up on this threads theme.... Listen to the Doc give Wick instructions on where to properly shoot....

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Don't forget cauterizing the wound with gunpowder. Razz

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
"It went clean through"
Why twice?

Kinda' ridiculous to call it a 'through and through when, without the first 'through' it's NOT a gunshot wound... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes, even the name of the trope is bitch worthy...I reckon we're in meta-bitch territory.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the 60's I remember the John Wayne movies with these events.
They also included, just before the Doc took the bullet out, a shot of Whiskey and punch to the jaw to knock the patient unconscious.
Always for their own good and 100% succcessful.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Two of my friends have been shot where the bullet passed through. Fortunate for both of them.

One was shot in his shoulder and the other in his lower leg.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew a man with a Ruger 22 auto pistol. He removed the magazine but forgot to clear the chamber. While holstering it fired. The bullet entered the side of his thigh and exited the back above the knee. It then entered his calf and ended up in his ankle. The doctors left the bullet in saying it would cause more damage to remove it. He was on crutches and then a cane for months. I guess this would be a through and through since it went through his thigh and through his calf. But I wouldn't say he was lucky.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a number of people who were shot through and through. They were quite dead. Through and through!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

That one always cracked me up. Big Grin

I caught an old episode of Gunsmoke partway through the other night. Some crazy old lady (really) needed to dig a bullet out of the guts of a ne'r-do-well that Festus had put lead on. She gave him a shot of whisky, had him grip a chair back from his bed and she proceeded to go after it with a 5" boning knife. Not an incision, mind you, but digging. They didn't show the clank, but he woke up the next morning a bit sore, but doing fine. "I had to go deep, but you should heal up fine". No concern for sewing his intestines back together or infection, at least not in the short term.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No movie cameras, no director, no script during my two combat tours in Vietnam. I helped render aid to wounded, stop bleeding, seal up sucking chest wounds (lung penetrated), bandage, bundle onto helicopters, and zip up in rubber bags for later evacuation.

Personally, I was wounded a total of 5 times. Once by close air support by the USAF (shrapnel tolower back and legs). Twice by bullets (left forearm and a chunk of elbow bone, and through the steel helmet to fracture my skull and give me a new hairstyle). Twice by enemy shrapnel (hand, arms, upper chest, shoulder, upper arm, buttocks, both legs).

Carried several pieces inside my body for about 9 to 12 years before they either worked their way to the surface or had to be surgically removed. Some were easily removed with a sharp blade to pierce the skin and a pair of forceps to extract the metal.

Knew one guy who carried a 7.62mm bullet in his lung for about 40 years, then brought it up in a coughing fit.

Knew other guys hit in major bones resulting in lots of damage and really serious pain.

Through-and-through (skin, muscle, etc) without striking bone or severing arteries is always preferable. Bullets and shrapnel left inside the body is seldom a major problem; sometimes the danger of removing exceeds the danger of leaving it alone. Infection from dirt, fibers, debris, and bacteria entering the wound are usually the primary concern in keeping the person alive for the long haul.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And where the hell is Point Blank ?

Is that south of Oxnard and north of Yuma 10 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post