SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Portable Power Banks DO NOT WORK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Power Banks DO NOT WORK Login/Join 
posted
Is it just me?

I am talking about Anker type portable battery travel charges for a phone or tablet.

They advertise you get “18 fully charged iphone cycles!”

If I get 80 percent one time, it’s a miracle.

Am I the only one?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
2 out of my 3 work great.
  • I keep one in my motorcycle's tank bag and use it to charge my iPhone. Using the iPhone as a GPS really deplete's the iPhone's battery. It's a 2014 Anker, so it doesn't charge as many times as it used to but still get a whole bunch of rides out mine before I need to recharge the "power bank."
  • I keep a vendor freebie in my briefcase and it's been going strong since 2017.
  • The only one I've ever had trouble with was the POS I bought at the airport c-store.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    My wife has one, brand I don't recall, but it works well.
    Takes a long time to recharge though.

Need to start taking with me on motorcycle trips. Had my battery die running Waze & Spotify. Luckily, Todd had a full charge & took the lead for the 2nd leg.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    We have one of theses: Anker Portable Charger, 325 Power Bank (PowerCore Essential 20K) 20000mAh Battery Pack with High-Speed PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only) for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and More

Thing's a beast. My wife can top-off her 12 in. iPad Pro and it takes it down by only about 1/4 or so.

Had it with me up north, at my buddy's property, one weekend before he had solar power. Re-charged my 2017 9.something in. iPad, my iPhone XE (2020), and my Apple Watch a couple times each and didn't get down by more than a half, IIRC.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    I'm on my 4th one. Every one of them worked almost as good as advertised. My last one I got around 2 weeks ago and after I charged it fully, I got 3 charges from 30% to 100% on my iPhone XR with 2,942 mAh capacity and it did it very rapidly. There was 10% capacity remaining on it after the 3 charges. It's a 10,000 mAh Lithium battery with 3 high speed outputs and 2 inputs. It's advertised as the smallest in size in comparable ampere hour ratings and from my research, I'd say that's true.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X...product_details&th=1

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    I think Anker is one of the better ones. I have a schedule where I use up my power banks every so often just so I get in the habit of charging and draining them. I think I do it at least once a quarter.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I got 3 charges from 30% to 100% on my iPhone XR with 2,942 mAh capacity and it did it very rapidly.
    Do you recall how long it took to recharge the iPhone? Ballpark approximation is fine, I just want a rough idea.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I got 3 charges from 30% to 100% on my iPhone XR with 2,942 mAh capacity and it did it very rapidly.
    Do you recall how long it took to recharge the iPhone? Ballpark approximation is fine, I just want a rough idea.

An hour and 15 minutes IIRC.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just for the
    hell of it
    Picture of comet24
    posted Hide Post
    I really like the Anker ones myself. In fact they are the only ones I would buy these days.

I’ve used them for travel and on several multi-day backpacking trips. Sometimes i will take more them one depending on the nights I’m out for. Just have to learn through trial and error how any battery bank works for your device.

I don’t think any of them fully live up to what they say but phones have different size batteries so it’s hard to know what they mean but say “5 phone charges”.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just for the
    hell of it
    Picture of comet24
    posted Hide Post
    This is the main one I use and I have gotten two full iPhone charges and them some from it.

Looks like the price has gone way up since I bought it. I paid $20 a year and a half ago when I bought a second one. Keep an eye one them they will go one sale.

Power Bank

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Only the strong survive
    Picture of 41
    posted Hide Post
    I have an Imuto 20 Ah that has worked fine for six years. They now have a 30 Ah unit:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/imu...91&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    Just a quick PSA:

TSA won't let you by with a power bank that's more than 20,000 mAh as their maximum per their website is 100 watts and Lithium batteries aren't allowed in checked baggage at all.

Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    Last night my wife used ours. Her 12 in. iPad Pro was down to 20%. She put it on our Anker power bank. When she took it off the iPad was at 49%. The power bank was down ±25%. She'd been using the iPad the whole time it was charging.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fwbulldog
    posted Hide Post
    There is a big difference between "anker type" and Anker.

I've had very good luck with Anker. I have 10K and 20K mah packs that server different purposes. The 10K pack sits in my motorcycle jacket and powers my GoPro (for several days between charging).

The 20K is a lot heavier, and it charges my phones, cameras, GPS units at night. I connect it to the bike so it's charging all day as I ride.

The cheap shit you buy at Walmart or discount stores is shit. They use shitty cells and worthless controllers.

Anker

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I appreciate these responses.

When I say “anker type”. I have had a few different brands, mostly bought from Amazon.

I am going to really pay attention and report back on a 20k device I just got (this prompted the question)

The info for air travel was helpful.

NRA Training Counselor
    NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    This is the one I have and it has been great. It takes about 1-2 1/2 hours to charge my LG G6 phone at 20%.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C....sym.999c0877-3704-4

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Leatherneck
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah, it’s gotta be Anker for me. I’ve had this one for a few years and it not only charges my phone fully and still has enough for another almost complete charge, but it also holds the charge for a long time. I’ve had others that I had to plug in every month or so or they’d be dead when I needed them. My kids both have this same model and love it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ice age heat wave,
    cant complain.
    Picture of MikeGLI
    posted Hide Post
    I think you got a bad one. I bought a Jackery (which may now be Anker) like 4 years ago. Actually, I bought 3 of them, one stick shaped one, a medium, then a larger. The medium is a great balance and I can absolutely get 100% out of it for my iPhone.

NRA Life Member
    Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post