SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    ANOTHER reason for me to HATE carpenter bees...pulled a muscle in my arm swatting one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANOTHER reason for me to HATE carpenter bees...pulled a muscle in my arm swatting one... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Not only are they destructive to my house and fence...(I've had to replace the cedar facia several times over the years from woodpecker damage getting to the larva...can't blame the woodpeckers) but carpenter bees are annoying as shit flying at you...they mock, taunt and probably laugh at you later...

So this morning when one flew at me...I took off my hat and knocked his ass to the ground (males are the fly at you bastards) then stepped on his ass ending his reign of terror...

However...my swat ended up with me pulling a muscle in my arm and it hurts Frown...

Hell...I will give red wasps and cicada hawks leniency (actually cicada hawks are benign even though their size make them look scary) ...but I kill carpenter bees with extreme prejudice...now more so than ever (I do make sure they are not bumble bees, which I've never known to be assholes like carpenter bees)...

Bastards.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have a tennis racket when I am outside working.

Get's a pretty good swing on them and "pank" another one gone.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they mock, taunt and probably laugh at you later...

+1

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A friend gave us 3 of those carpenter bee traps, with the holes drilled downward and a mason jar attached - didn't seem to work last year but they are murdering them this year.

Still, you have to go hands on with some of them occasionally, I use a broom or BugAsalt

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I opt for the badminton racket. Gives me a faster back swing if they dodge the forehand.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I tried the tennis racket, but found that a bad minton racket works better for me. Lighter and faster response time.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is a cicada hawk those big, black bastards? I understand they won't sting unless severely provoked but cause excruciating pain if they do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I read that the males are aggressive and will attack but they don't even have stingers. The females have stingers but are non-aggressive.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to play with them when I was a kid. We were told that those with a white spot in middle of their head wouldn't sting and I never got stung by one. Still, I don't like them chewing up my old shed and overhang where I park a car and tractor; gets crappy chewed up stuff all over.

Posts: 15 | Location: Triad Area, NC | Registered: November 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I swing a running weed whacker over my head, Leatherface style. Knocks the shit outta them. Keeps the neighbors at bay, too.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is a cicada hawk those big, black bastards? I understand they won't sting unless severely provoked but cause excruciating pain if they do.

Yep...they are quite large...the males are larger but will not sting...I've had them lite on me while I'm sitting on my deck and they never seem aggressive at all...some years I have had four or five nests around the house and they just ignore me in their comings and goings. To be honest I have never known anyone that has been stung by one...but I'm sure they could be painful...

They are pretty interesting insects...

https://www.cicadamania.com/ci...cicada-killer-wasps/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the weedwacker. String is too fast for them.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We took the tennis racquet down to the barn today. Smoked about 10, including my first double (yay me!).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
I've used one of those huge red wiffle ball bats, in college we called it the drunk bat. Knocks them out of the park, and with a very satisfying thhhhhwack! Step down to the skinny yellow bat for a real challenge.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
A badminton racket works great. I make traps out of 4x4 and pickle jars and they work quite well. I have a log home and so far no holes. We've been in this one for 3 1/2 years.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post