SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pre Buy 21-22 Propane Prices !!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre Buy 21-22 Propane Prices !! Login/Join 
posted
Just finished shopping for propane pre-buy deals and this upcoming 21-22 rate is .32 per gallon higher than last year. Damn this administration. Under Trump my pre-buy rates only fluctuated by .06 over a 3 year period.

I can afford it but this is going to suck for a lot of folks on fixed incomes.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Just finished shopping for propane pre-buy deals and this upcoming 21-22 rate is .32 per gallon higher than last year. Damn this administration. Under Trump my pre-buy rates only fluctuated by .06 over a 3 year period.

I can afford it but this is going to suck for a lot of folks on fixed incomes.

The Tractor Supply here where I live will fill your grill propane tanks for you rather than doing the exchange thing and the price is like $1.00 higher a gallon than this time last year. Confused

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The exchange thing for Blue Rhino propane remains the same price it's been for years in my area.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
The exchange thing for Blue Rhino propane remains the same price it's been for years in my area.

blue rhino remains the same price but they are slow to refill - many places near me are out and remain out.....

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
don't think he's talking about 20 pound tanks, more like a whole house 120 gallon.

I need to see what we're being charged, one thing though since switching to the tankless water heater LP use has dropped big time... Fill ups are 20 to 30 gal vs the 40 to 60 gal before.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
don't think he's talking about 20 pound tanks, more like a whole house 120 gallon.

Most houses have a 500 gallon tank, or the longer 1000 gallon tank.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

And depending upon your home, you may need that tank filled more than once per year.

1,000 gallon tank, 80% fill capacity, filled twice per year is 1600 gallons. At 32 cents, that's an increase of $512.

We called the other day to get a price from our local COOP who is usually the least expensive option. Currently $1.50 a gallon.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

And depending upon your home, you may need that tank filled more than once per year.

1,000 gallon tank, 80% fill capacity, filled twice per year is 1600 gallons. At 32 cents, that's an increase of $512.

We called the other day to get a price from our local COOP who is usually the least expensive option. Currently $1.50 a gallon.

Correct - 500 gallon tank. 1000 gallons a year. And pre-buy propane prices in New England are 2.40 gallon this year. (if you do not own your tank) No pipelines here - everything is barged in to Boston and distributed from there making the New England market one of the most expensive heating fuel markets in the country.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graniteguy,

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Maybe up there in da north, mines 120 gallon, around here that's the norm, but we don't run the heat much....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a 1000 and a 500. I own both so I can buy off whoever I choose. I filled in April last year for less than 80 cents with sales tax. Gonna hurt this year.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I have only one supplier and right now they want $4.97 to fill up which is up from $2.49 last year for an increase of almost $2.50 a gallon. Fortunately I have a 1000 tank that is half full and all it runs is my stand-by generator so I can afford to wait and see if it will drop.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Maybe up there in da north, mines 120 gallon, around here that's the norm, but we don't run the heat much....

Since you're in da south, you should have a heat pump.

Most people who have gas furnaces intend to use them.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
I have only one supplier and right now they want $4.97 to fill up which is up from $2.49 last year for an increase of almost $2.50 a gallon. Fortunately I have a 1000 tank that is half full and all it runs is my stand-by generator so I can afford to wait and see if it will drop.

1. That’s nuts: that’s double the price
2. How the hell do you only have one supplier? That’s why they’re hosing you so hard and they know it! Propane has gone up for sure but not 100% over last year Roll Eyes

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Be leary of the exchange propane bottles because of being short filled with product and the average person doesn"t know or care or they are looking for a quick and easy exchange. Reason that I say this is that our son-in-law runs a propane station that has been in his family and run for at least 35yrs. ......................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Propane? Pinkard & Bowden. Ok here ya go:

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RE: propane price hikes. Of course, with propane prices tied to oil prices, and oil prices having gone way up from last year, propane's going to cost a bunch more this year than it did last year. Oil was under $40 last June and hit $73 this week.

RE: shopping around. If you don't own your propane tank, the free market doesn't apply. No outside supplier (other than the one that owns the tank) will sell to you.

I bought my house and nothing was said about this. No rental fees ever showed up on the propane bill - turned out that was because we bought enough that the rental fees were being waived.

Couple years ago I was complaining to my friend about paying significantly over the DOE propane average price and he gave me a couple local alternatives. Each quoted a price about $1/gal under what I was paying! Huzzah! But then, the question, "do you own your tank?" popped up.

"I don't know" was not good enough. So I checked my home purchase records - no mention of propane tanks. Called my propane company and found out that I'd been renting (at no cost) for all these years. Of course they had better rates but those didn't apply to 'rented' tanks. So I asked for a price to buy it, and did so.

With an owned tank, I qualified for, and got, much better pricing. Didn't have to change suppliers, but just knowing that other companies could sell to me, saved me enough that it paid back the cost of the tank in one year.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you're in da south, you should have a heat pump.

Yes we do, I think I remember turning it on once in the last 25 years to be sure it ran... Stunk up the house.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Be leary of the exchange propane bottles because of being short filled with product and the average person doesn"t know or care or they are looking for a quick and easy exchange. Reason that I say this is that our son-in-law runs a propane station that has been in his family and run for at least 35yrs. ......................................... drill sgt.

They got caught doing this a few years back and lost a class action lawsuit, so while I doubt this is happening, it's possible it is.

https://propanesettlement.com/...Summary%20Notice.pdf

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We always used to send out an email to our clients to fill up their tank near the end of August (if they can wait that long) as that is historically the lowest price of the season…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing for certain - I am buying my own 1,000 gallon tank when I move into my next home. (2-3 years)