SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Text message scammers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Text message scammers Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Lately I have been receiving a bunch of text messages from “Anna”. Asking if the order came through, if the photography studio opened, how’s your day…

I started a conversation a couple times via text, and all they want is to get on WhatsApp with you. Im not sure why they want to more to WhatsApp from text, but I won’t take the bait.

I have found a pretty good way to never hear back from them. I had gone through the meme thread the other day, all 20 some pages. I collected quite a few of the most offensive and rude memes I could find. Now when I get a text from these scumbags, I simply blow them up with about 20 memes.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Have you asked her what she's wearing? Does she have underwear on? What color is it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I used to get multiple a day, it's tapered off & I haven't gotten one in weeks.
Oddly, both my cell (personal) and my work desk phone would get spam (calls on both, text to cell) for Elizabeth

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Oddly, both my cell (personal) and my work desk phone would get spam (calls on both, text to cell) for Elizabeth

Interesting. The spam texts I receive have essentially gone down to zero and I have no idea why.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Interesting. The spam texts I receive have essentially gone down to zero and I have no idea why.

Definitely not complaining, it was to the point I had my phone on silent to ignore all of the spam.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Have you asked her what she's wearing? Does she have underwear on? What color is it?

Well, "Anna" is probably a dude in Somalia so be careful what you ask for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I got one yesterday saying she'd pay me $500 a month to hang some sign on my car doors advertising candy - Really.

Her real name might have been Candy?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

Well, "Anna" is probably a dude in Somalia so be careful what you ask for.

Khakis,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Well she's a guy, so..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

az primaries are over!!

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
quote:
quote:

az primaries are over!!

They are over, but I wasn't getting political spam texts, I was getting offers to buy my house for the most part.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
quote:
quote:

az primaries are over!!

They are over, but I wasn't getting political spam texts, I was getting offers to buy my house for the most part.

all political for me!!

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I started a conversation a couple times via text, and all they want is to get on WhatsApp with you. Im not sure why they want to more to WhatsApp from text, but I won’t take the bait.

You got my interest. I feel like I'm been targeted on LinkedIn. I keep getting connection requests from what looks like Chinese women profiles. One even had a Spanish name but her picture sure looks Chinese. And these profiles have a decent number of connections.

But each of these even if I ignore their connect requests, message me to start a conversation. The conversation is professional enough but they quickly get to their point: they want to connect via WhatsApp so they can continue the conversation there. LinkedIn has it's own private message system.

Like you, I'm skeptical. I think it's a way to get information via the app once they know your WhatsApp account number. I tell them I prefer Tinder. If they say they don't have that, then I say PlentyOfFish.

I'm not quite sure what the information they want from me but I suspect it's Red China wanting to database everyone in the US.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19585 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Mess with them. It's fun.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ignore all spam texts other than to forward to your provider. Most major companies have a mechanism to allow you to report these.

Don't encourage more spam texts by replying.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was getting offers to buy my house
I was getting repeated offers to buy a house that I have never seen at an address that I had never heard of.

I responded, accepting the offer, providing that they would be ready to close at my office within 72 hours for the house as is, and pay cash. That's "cash," as in U.S. currency. No checks, no wire transfers, just a briefcase full of cash.

They wanted 30 days to close, so I told them not to waste any more of my time with offers if they're not ready to buy. Haven't heard from them since.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

You got my interest. I feel like I'm been targeted on LinkedIn. I keep getting connection requests from what looks like Chinese women profiles. One even had a Spanish name but her picture sure looks Chinese. And these profiles have a decent number of connections.

But each of these even if I ignore their connect requests, message me to start a conversation. The conversation is professional enough but they quickly get to their point: they want to connect via WhatsApp so they can continue the conversation there. LinkedIn has it's own private message system.

Like you, I'm skeptical. I think it's a way to get information via the app once they know your WhatsApp account number. I tell them I prefer Tinder. If they say they don't have that, then I say PlentyOfFish.

I'm not quite sure what the information they want from me but I suspect it's Red China wanting to database everyone in the US.

Same here on LinkedIn. I just can’t figure out the WhatsApp angle. It makes me curious, but not enough to connect with one there.

I used to string them along for a while via text, but it just wastes my time. I really prefer the meme bombing. It has drastically reduced the number of texts I’m getting also.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always tell them I busy having relations with their mother. That usually ends it. I sometimes ask them if they want but naked pictures of their wife.

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sometimes ask them if they want but naked pictures of their wife.
It was "Anna" who called. Her wife? Well, maybe even better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I actually got my first one today. It was supposedly from my bank saying my CC had been locked and to call this number. Since we are going out of town for a week and will need it I called my bank just to make sure and it was bogus. Funny how my first one was a few days after the last Apple update.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post