SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Auto parts quality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto parts quality Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
Front brakes on the Grand Cherokee needed replacement. It’s 15 years old, I’m not paying someone to do it and it occupies my spare time.

Ordered an entire powerstop Z36 setup, calipers, rotors,pads, and hardware. I knew the calipers would be remanufactured and powder coated. The calipers were fine at first glance and shipped fully assembled. But of the 4 new chrome plated slide pins, 1 was missing the rubber bushing on the end, one had less than half a rubber bushing on the end. Two of the new (look chrome plated) caliper bolts snapped at less than 2/3 of the torque they are supposed to tightened to..ended up using the original slide pins and bolts. Not a world ender because my old ones weren’t in bad shape, but frustrating as hell that the new parts were the ones of spotty quality. Not going to bleed them til tomorrow because I ran out of daylight.

While under the Jeep I took a look around, checking general condition. And find the spring isolators I installed with new springs and struts about 3 years ago are cracked and dry rotting. They were new from Mopar, best guess is they were already old stock or crap quality.

To be honest, I’m seeing an decent increase in that in my job repairing imaging equipment as well. New parts that should last years showing up doa or failing after a few months.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
How much do you want to bet those parts were made in China?

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
That’s a pretty fair bet. I know a lot of the work stuff is being made in China.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Powerstops are junk those drilled and slotted Z36s will start to crack in no time.

Brembo is the way to go only disappointment is they are now made in China. Though they so far are providing the usual excellent braking qualities.

Hawk are still made in the States but I had their Talon series rotors with with LTS pads and they were miserable and had to pull them at 15k miles.

EBC are made in the states or UK so they will likely be next.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Ordered GM HD trailer towing capable brake rotors pads etc. Was disappointed that they were Chicom rotors. AC Delco should be legally required to be USA products

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Powerstops are junk

I agree with this.

I really like Hawk HPS pads and EBC rotors. Used that combo for years. May be overkill but so many rotors are junk these days. Those are solid. The HPS pads would really grab when they got warm and never fadded.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Ordered GM HD trailer towing capable brake rotors pads etc. Was disappointed that they were Chicom rotors. AC Delco should be legally required to be USA products

Delco is just a marketing organization. Years ago before the Delphi spinoff they had their own production plants. And post bankruptcy that accelerated.

Once I pulled different boxes of universal joints off the shelf post bankruptcy in the dealership I worked at. Same part number, same box, same graphics, three countries of origin,China, United States and Mexico. Slight differences between each country’s product.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powerstops are junk those drilled and slotted Z36s will start to crack in no time.

Brembo is the way to go only disappointment is they are now made in China. Though they so far are providing the usual excellent braking qualities.

Hawk are still made in the States but I had their Talon series rotors with with LTS pads and they were miserable and had to pull them at 15k miles.

StopTech Brakes are Made in USA Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

StopTech Brakes are Made in USA Wink

Last I checked pretty much all their production was moved to China aside from their very top end 2 piece Aerorotors.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Back around 2015, I decided to use a local Toyota dealer for a brake job on my 2006 4-Runner. It was not the dealer, where I bought the vehicle but I had moved and it was closer. They replaced both front disc's and calipers. Within 2-3 weeks, every part was covered with rust. When I went back seeking an explanation, they admitted the parts had been obtained from CarQuest. When I requested they replace the parts with genuine Toyota parts, I was told they weren't sure if CarQuest would take them back. I suggested that was not my problem. It was only after I suggested using non-Toyota parts might create a safety issue, that they became interested in replacing them.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Too many companies have figured out planned obsolescence.

Long gone are the days of the $35 starters/alternators/name-your-part that lasted forever, and if they didn't it was dirt cheap to replace them.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Lots of people seem to use them, but I thought my powerstops were garbage. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for. I got them because they were well reviewed and seemed economical, but they just didn't perform.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on Powerstop. I was actually looking into some Powerstop pads for my BMW M front brakes. I'll look at Hawk or stick with OEM. Trying to find something less dusty.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When you need the very best Smile

Probably not from here.

The Harbor Freight of Auto Parts.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Lots of people seem to use them, but I thought my powerstops were garbage. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for. I got them because they were well reviewed and seemed economical, but they just didn't perform.

It’s marketing. Just because lots of folks use them does not mean they are good.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Thanks for the info on Powerstop. I was actually looking into some Powerstop pads for my BMW M front brakes. I'll look at Hawk or stick with OEM. Trying to find something less dusty.

Hawks dust like crazy.
Powder coat your wheels gunmetal. When I had my Audi I could not find a pad that did not dust like crazy.

I think I ended up settling on PBR pads back then for the Audi which are Australian or were.
They were all I ran on my Mustang GT back then.
They were the OEM provider for Mustang Cobra brakes at the time.

————————————————

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Too many companies have figured out planned obsolescence.

Long gone are the days of the $35 starters/alternators/name-your-part that lasted forever, and if they didn't it was dirt cheap to replace them.

And every town had a starter/alternator repair shop that fixed them. I remember when your GM alternator needed repair, they repaired or replaced the parts including the Diode Trio, I think it was called.

And of course, every town had a shop that did radiator repairs. Back in the day they were all metal, no plastic, and if you had a leaker or an overheater they'd put it in the vat, rod it out, fix it, and possibly add another row.

Yeah, today is planned obsolesce. Take the part off, throw it away, buy a cheap piece of crap from china or vietam or malaysia or....many other places.

Brake rotors were turned, not tossed in the landfill.

I've always thought it to be ironic that so much goes to the landfill while the enviro greenie-weenies look the other way, cuz it's THEIR vehicle that they drive every darn day, so that's different.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

I really like Hawk HPS pads and EBC rotors. Used that combo for years. May be overkill but so many rotors are junk these days.
Those are solid.
The HPS pads would really grab when they got warm and never faded.

YES!
Although I use Frozen Rotors for my Titan Big Brake upgrade with Hawk Pads ~ I did use the EBC and Hawk on my wife's Xterra.
Great solid products.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've grumbled about the price of OEM Honda stuff, but I've found their pads and rotors to be better than aftermarket stuff. I don't go through brakes quickly and with the money I save on installing them myself, it's not that big of a deal.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

]And of course, every town had a shop that did radiator repairs. Back in the day they were all metal, no plastic, and if you had a leaker or an overheater they'd put it in the vat, rod it out, fix it, and possibly add another row.

I lived and worked in Phoenix from 2005-08. There was a radiator shop that did full service on plastic radiators. They could rod them out and tell me the percentage of restriction, replace tanks and everything. But that's the only place I've ever seen that did it. There is a starter & alternator repair shop locally, but no personal experience with them.

I get to see my share of faulty parts (often "remanufactured") in my business, most recently a reman electronic throttle body that didn't even make it here from Alabama (where they had the first one done). I also cannot find an aftermarket CV axle ("half shaft") that will work on 2013-16 Ford Escapes. (OEM from the dealer is backordered.)

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I've grumbled about the price of OEM Honda stuff, but I've found their pads and rotors to be better than aftermarket stuff. I don't go through brakes quickly and with the money I save on installing them myself, it's not that big of a deal.

I've come to this realization myself, both with my Toyota Camry and with my Dodge Ram 3500.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post