SIGforum
Fed Ex Rant!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5570015684

November 05, 2021, 05:30 PM
Grayfox54
Fed Ex Rant!
Ok, so I thought I was being smart and went ahead and ordered 3 15 round SA-35 magazines from Springfield Armory. I figured that once the guns get into circulation extra mags might get a bit tight for a while. I know that Mec-Gar is showing them out of stock as well as several other on-line dealers. Beside, I can use them in my other Hi-Powers until I can find a SA-35. 
I ordered on Friday Oct. 29. SA got them shipped that same evening. They arrived at the Fed Ex distribution center in Olive Branch, MS at around midnight on Saturday Oct 30. Scheduled delivery for Monday Nov.1. BTW: Olive Branch is right across the state line from Memphis and this distribution center is the main hub for Fed EX ground deliveries everywhere in the Memphis area. 

Monday comes and no package. I check tracking again and now it says "Scheduled Delivery: Pending".  Ok, I'm generally a pretty patient guy, so I give it a couple more days. No package and no change in the status. Wednesday, I decided I might aughta check on this and decided to get in touch with Fed EX. I call the customer service number and get a computer. I input all the info asked for and simply get that it is in the system with delivery pending. Hell! I knew that already.  Ok, time to speak to a real person. Guess what? The is no phone number for Fed Ex that lets you directly contact a human being. There is no national number, no number for the Olive Branch center or for that matter, not even a number for the local stores. 
Ok, so there's a Fed Ex store less than a mile from my house. I knew they probably couldn't do anything, but I hoped they could at least give me a number to call and speak to a human being. So I went there. Nope, all they have is the regular customer service number. But I did find out that if you want to speak to a person what you have to do is call the number, when the computer answers just keep repeating "representative" over and over until it finally connects you to an actual person. 

So I go back home and make the call. I say representative, representative, representative over and over and finally! A real human being answers!  I get the expected BS. Over whelmed, short handed, yadda, yadda, yadda. I ask when can I expect my package? Well it turns out that SA shipped by Fed Ex Ground Economy class. I don't fault SA, they're just trying to watch their budget and I did get free shipping on my order. But it turns out that that class of shipping has no guaranteed  delivery date. Simply put, it gets delivered when Fed Ex gets around to it. 
Welp, they've had it 6 days now and ain't got around to it yet. And it looks like all I can do is wait until they do. ​​​​​​​

It ain't the years, its the mileage.
November 05, 2021, 07:05 PM
sourdough44
For whatever reason, FedEx is messed up on tracking, to the optimistic side. I have a Smith Wesson 28-2 revolver inbound. It showed delivery today, in WI. The last location stamp was TX yesterday, nothing since.

Now it went to ‘pending’ on the delivery. I really don’t care if it takes a few extra days, as long as it arrives.
November 05, 2021, 08:43 PM
Grayfox54
Thankfully there's nothing in that package that I need anytime soon. I can wait. But its just damned annoying. Mad

It ain't the years, its the mileage.
November 06, 2021, 01:46 PM
Sigmund
I CANNOT REACH A LIVE PERSON AT FED EX! GrayFox, I feel your pain.

I ordered some 308 Core Lokt from Cabelas the other day, but when they sent me the "label created" note I realized I ordered 180 and not 150 gr. I called Cabelas, got a real person to explain, and he said he would try to stop the shipment from leaving. If not, just send it back.

Today I got a note from FedEx that it's on the way, so I called the 800 number which WOULD NOT LET ME TALK TO A REAL PERSON. Even the "live chat" is a computer. I think I got it delivered to the local FedEx store, I'm confident they can send it back for me.

Yes, I caused this and yes, I can ship it back, but Fed-Ex has a piss-poor system for customer "service."
November 06, 2021, 02:03 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Fed-Ex has a piss-poor system for customer "service."
To steal a phrase from Clark Howard, I think you mean "Customer NO-service."

You're probably better off not being able to speak with anybody. There's not enough blood pressure medicine to handle it. I remember spending the better part of an hour telling the agent that she did not know what she was talking about when they classified the destination for something I sent as "residential" instead of "business." The agent had never even been in the same state as the destination address, whereas I had spent a lot of time at that particular location; it is my step-son's law practice, so I know full well it is NOT residential. The agent insisted that the zip code was zoned "residential," I told her that it was zoned "mixed use," both business and residential. It was like talking to a fucking wall.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
November 08, 2021, 09:22 PM
darkest2000
With FedEx you have to repeatly say "talk to agent" or something like that before it'll connect you to a live person, and when they do, you'll find out it's someone working in a call center in Indonesia and the information they have is no better than what you can already find out by tracking it yourself. Then you'll have to insist on speaking to a supervisor several times before they'll finally connect you to someone stateside, then from there all they can tell you is they'll put a note in your shipment that you called and to call you back if they have any updates (and with one exception, they never do).

I ship UPS and USPS only. The former has much better tracking and customer service, the latter I have low expectations to begin with that I don't get upset if the package disappears for a while (they usually turn up eventually).
November 09, 2021, 01:14 AM
Nuclear
I too recently had a Fed Ex experience. I ordered a shirt that I wanted to wear November 10th from a website on October 29th. The default shipping method was the one that has FedEx hand it off to the USPS for “the last mile”. That usually results in adding an extra week to the fictional delivery date. So I upgraded to FedEx Ground, which sucks somewhat less. It was supposed to be delivered on November 4th, and finally got here on November 6th, after being out for delivery since November 3rd. The funny part of this was that on the 6th, just before delivery I got an updated estimated delivery date of the 5th.
November 09, 2021, 04:15 PM
p08
ordered three things from a distributor. They ship through Fed Ex. One was 2 hand guns so they went 2nd day air supposed to be here today by 4:30. Still nothing. The other went fucking ground and was due to arrive the 11th. The ground package was delivered at 9:30 this morning. What a bunch of consummate fuck ups! Mad

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.
November 09, 2021, 08:52 PM
OKCGene
I just had a good experience with Fedex.

Last Friday afternoon, I popped into my local Postal Annex place (you know, not the post office, a privately owned shipping and mailing, copying, etc business).

They packed up a box of what I needed shipping and I asked them how much to ship, and delivery times, from OKC to Palm Springs CA. It's about 1,230 miles.

The clerk said my best option was FEDEX Ground and it would arrive on Monday. I laughed, she gave me the other options, and she swore that FEDEX Ground would have it there Monday. I laughed again, yeah right.

It was $21.00-ish and I'll be danged, it actually arrived Monday. Shipped it Friday afternoon, it was driven 1,230 miles and delivered on time, roughly 61 hours from the time FEDEX Ground picked it up and had it in their possession to Palm Springs.

The clerk said UPS offered the same, Ground Shipping would arrive Wednesday and would be within pennies of the same cost.

Anyway, I can't complain, the service performed as stated. Nothing damaged either.
November 09, 2021, 10:43 PM
Ox190
Hard to make service when the company is 100k employees short nationwide. Increased base pay wages by $3-5 per hour and still can't hire enough people to support the surge of shipping COVID has caused. Not making excuses just giving you an overview. It's only going to get much much worse for at least the next 2-3 months.
November 10, 2021, 01:44 AM
Nuclear
I get not having enough employees to properly run your business. But start giving out realistic delivery dates. If it used to take 3 days and it’s now going to take a week, say it is going to take a week. And fix your tracking systems! It’s all computer automated, and shouldn’t be giving me delivery dates in the past.
November 10, 2021, 04:20 AM
sourdough44
Tracking was optimistic by a few days, but nobody stole the Smith & Wesson 28-2 being shipped, so that’s a good thing.
November 14, 2021, 01:42 PM
kg5388
Went through this several times and told them to hold it and I was on my way to olive branch to pick it up. They informed me the facility is not set up for package pickup and they didn’t know where my package was, they just knew that it was in a trailer somewhere on the lot. How can it be out for delivery when you don’t even know what trailer it is in on the lot.

Had two sets of boots make it there only to never be seen again