SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    House guests and broken items.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House guests and broken items. Login/Join 
posted
TLDR: Broken glass on movie poster where my wife found the poster off the wall, leaning against the wall and turned backwards.
I'm not upset about the broken glass. I'm upset that nobody said anything about it.

For this long weekend, I had a lifelong friend from college come to visit. He is single and brought with him his son and daughter who each brought a friend of their own. Anyway, I have a bonus room upstairs that I have turned into a media room. I put the boys up there on air mattresses. They loved it because they brought their gaming system and they hooked it right in to the big screen.
In total, we had 9 people in our house and it was so much fun. I love the sound of kids laughing and us adults telling stories over Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon.
I will say that during the weekend, these guests were very polite. The teenage boys offered to take the garbage out. They hauled gear and helped load and unload the SUV during a beach trip. They included my 4 year old son in their video gaming by letting him try and telling him jokes.
My only disappointment is the no communication about the poster. I hope they didn't fear my reaction because it would have been "accidents happen".

Posts: 667 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
All sorts of possibilities there ranging from them being scared of your reaction to scared of their own parent(s) reaction to your son actually having done it and them (foolishly) trying to cover it up.

If it was me, I'd say nothing to the parents, ever. Fix it myself, and next time the family is back and the boys are older ask them what happened. You'll get more appreciation and ongoing respect from them for dealing with it that way than their parents getting involved now in what would undoubtedly make the next visit, or even planning it, awkward. Plus, possible #2 above.

The plus-2 kids make this even more reasonable IMHO. The kids of your friend may have zero idea this even occurred, and those same friends of friends are unlikely to ever return.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ I agree with your assessment. I wasn't planning on bringing it up. Good call on my son being up there. I guess now is the time to talk to him about facing problems instead of hiding from them.

Posts: 667 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
All sorts of possibilities there ranging from them being scared of your reaction to scared of their own parent(s) reaction to your son actually having done it and them (foolishly) trying to cover it up.

If it was me, I'd say nothing to the parents, ever. Fix it myself, and next time the family is back and the boys are older ask them what happened. You'll get more appreciation and ongoing respect from them for dealing with it that way than their parents getting involved now in what would undoubtedly make the next visit, or even planning it, awkward. Plus, possible #2 above.

The plus-2 kids make this even more reasonable IMHO. The kids of your friend may have zero idea this even occurred, and those same friends of friends are unlikely to ever return.

Totally disagree on that part. If you're going to let it go, then let it go completely. Forever. What's the point of asking "what happened" years later, when they're much older? What do you expect to get out of it? Will the answer, yes or no, change anything? Serves no purpose, except to make you out to be bottling this up all these years just waiting to open up old wound. If you're going to do it at all, do it now, asking them in a very polite way, when everything is still fresh. Otherwise, move on and forget about it. My vote is to do nothing, now or ever.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
My vote is to do nothing, now or ever.

Wise counsel.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to do nothing and forget about it. I'll order a new frame and hang it back up.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd get a special movie poster and hang it up in the old ones place when they come back.. or maybe put up a few LOL

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

Nice! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sounds like they were good kids. Shit happens. Leave it be.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a chey chase movie,
I am waiting for the part where
the kitchen catch's fire

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post