SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ignorant FFLs with an attitude
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignorant FFLs with an attitude Login/Join 
posted
Pure rant here because it worked out OK in the end, but I just want to vent about idiot FFLs who make up their own rules. I recently sold an Inland M1 carbine on another board and shipped it off to the buyer's FFL Monday, enclosing a copy of my own 03 Curio & Relic FFL license for the transfer. Get a call this afternoon from the buyer, immediately thinking, shit, he's got a complaint or there's something wrong with the gun. Turns out he's at the FFL and they won't transfer it to him because, in their words, it's not C&R eligible so they won't recognize my license and want a copy of my drivers license. I say OK, I don't mind sending it, but can I speak to the FFL to understand why he doesn't think a WW2 M1 carbine is C&R eligible? He gets on the line and explains that their "compliance officer" says it's not on the C&R list. I say, uh, first of all, it is on the list, and second, the C&R list is no longer being updated but BATF has stated it applies to pretty much anything over 50 years old. That's when he goes off on a tirade about, "I don't know how long you've been a dealer (I'm not one) but we're not putting our FFL on the line, blah, blah, blah." I say, your "compliance officer" needs to bone up on the law. He hangs up. The buyer is caught in the middle at this point and I don't want to jam him up, so I text a photo of my DL along with a screen shot of the BATF C&R list clearly stating "All military bolt action and semi-automatic rifles made between 1899 and 1946" are C&R eligible. It's literally the fourth line in Section 2, first page of the list. I ask him to show it to the dipshit FFL and see what he says. "He just looked at it and said, Ah, well..."

This comes on the heels of another situation where I sold a Stevens Favorite to a guy and his FFL said he wouldn't transfer it because it no Favorites had serial numbers. Yes they did. Here's a photo of the SN on the rifle, and a copy of the page in the definitive book on single shot rifles by Frank De Haas explaining how and where they were serialized.

If you want to go by the letter of the law, read the fucking law.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Knowitall Syndrome" is a common issue with gun store owners and employees, in my experience.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just curious - he already has the weapon so why can't he transfer it regardless?

If Joe Local hands him a gun and asks him to transfer it to Jane Local ~ they don't have a FFL?

So still just curious.? Confused

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't transfer to the new owner until the receiving FFL logs it into his bound book, completes the 4473 form, background check, etc. This FFL wasn't willing to do that using my FFL on the misinformed belief that the gun was not C&R eligible. I understand the receiving FFL needs to have ID on the person he is accepting the transfer from, but in this case my valid FFL should have been sufficient.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I was just recently told an individual can't ship a firearm. Not a handgun, but ANY firearm Roll Eyes

I've also had quite a bit of trouble explaining to a handful of FFL's that I can take possession of handguns in two states, my home of record and my duty station state. I've never once had one be aware that its a rule.

At the end of the day they are allowed to deny ANY transfer and I understand that so I try to remain calm and educate rather than simply point out their ignorance but its often a test in patience.

I don't mind anyone not knowing, as a former FFL there are tons of rules I've forgotten, simply never encountered, or that have changed over time. But to come off that confident when you are clearly wrong is what gets me.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've shipped guns to FFL's for online customers that got held up because the FFL did not know what it was,

I'm a FFL/SOT, and yes, I konw it all (kidding there,, Cool) that gets amused when I get a call from some shop that wants to know what serial number I used and what did I call that rifle that you shipped to them for customer Bob,

last was a Type 99 Arisaka, dude in the shop had no clue what it was

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
"Knowitall Syndrome" is a common issue with gun store owners and employees, in my experience.

Yep. There’s a certain type that love owning gun stores and acting like an arrogant jackass. Usually aren’t all that bright, either. Seems like that’s the bulk of my experience with gun stores. They tend to hire people who are just like them. The shop across the street from me now is like that.

Not all gun stores, mind you, but enough that this ain’t a new phenomenon to most shooters.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t a gunstore guy just post a rant here because he was pissed that people wanted to know the price of the ammo he was selling and he didn’t want to keep updating the prices. It was too much work for him.

If you find a good gunstore treasure it.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

If you find a good gunstore treasure it.
Not sure where you moved to, but I don't think that you're too far from St. Augustine, so Top Gun Supply might be convenient for you.

If you get to the Daytona area, Florida Gun Exchange is not bad, and they're right down the street from DB Pickles (see the sandwich thread).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I've had more than one seller refuse to ship a clearly C&R firearm to me not because they didn't know it was a C&R, but because they simply didn't do business with C&R licensees.. Last one went on a rant about C&Rs "costing dealers business," pretty much ignoring the fact that he was costing HIMSELF that particular sale... no, I'm not going through a 01 dealer just because he thinks 01 FFLs are some kind of freakin' union.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
There is one caveat to your assumption on the C&R list. The ATF a few years ago regarding reactivation of M1903 drill rifles. I am trying to find it, but they said something to the effect that the Gibbs rifles were not C&R anymore and considered them new manufacture.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V tail, I went to Florida Gun Exchange. Wow. After Maryland it was eye watering.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
V tail, I went to Florida Gun Exchange. Wow. After Maryland it was eye watering.

Don't be koi. Tell us how you really feel.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It watered my eyes Richard. Lol

It had a range, it had cases of ammo, it had hundreds if not more handguns and rifles of anything that could pique your interest. I stand by eye watering compared to anything I saw in 20 years up in Maryland.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another store to spend a few hours and maybe a few bucks: AAA Pawn & Gun, on Hwy. 17-92 just south of Orange City.

Sort of a museum / gun store. Something like 5,000 guns on display. Antiques, new ones, used, just about everything imaginable, and another 5,000 or so in the warehouse. Last time I was there, they had as many 1911s as a typical store has total guns of all types. The first P7s I ever saw, they had a display case full of them. Every variation of Colt Detective Special.

I haven't been there for a few years, I should go back, but leave my credit card at home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup I hear you. The Fl gun exchange had a Tavor X95 on the wall. I’ve wanted one of those ever since my governor said I couldn’t have one.