SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Computer Programers are: either the smartest or stupidest people
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Programers are: either the smartest or stupidest people Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
So, I'm out of town and am trying to access my newspaper digitally.... since I have a delivery subscription (I'm old school still) I get free 'easy' access to the digital paper...

And I try to log in and you would think I was trying to access my bank account.... I try all kind of ways and can't do it... it's a damn newspaper, not the nuke codes for our country.....

I end up sending an email to 'the system' explaining and complaining of how difficult it is and low and behold I get a automatic reply ... and what does it tell me?... I can manage what ever problems I'm having by accessing their system.

As Forest said, "Stupid is as stupid does..."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You tried 1) Forgot username and 2) Forgot password links on the log in page?

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I started using a password manager.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I truly believe that exception handling is a concept no longer taught.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Software was a lot better when it was "made in America."

Now, much of it is outsourced to the low bidder, probably India, Pakistan, etc., or if done in-house or by a U.S. contract company, they probably use H1B workers, again probably India, Pakistan, etc.

Here's something to try: On many of the "Contact Us" or "Place an Order" forms on a website, there are places to enter
  1. Mailing address,

2. Email address, and

3. Phone number.
Try to submit a form without a phone number. Just try, and see what happens. Almost universally, it will not be accepted, even though you supply a mailing address and an email address. Yo, "programmer putz" -- there are actually people who do not have telephones!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Agreed. Some of the telephone central office software that I worked on in the Good Old Days, maybe 15% to 20% of the code was for the "no-problem" call processing. The remainder, 80% to 85%, was for error detection and handling.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Agreed. Some of the telephone central office software that I worked on in the Good Old Days, maybe 15% to 20% of the code was for the "no-problem" call processing. The remainder, 80% to 85%, was for error detection and handling.

I spend significantly more time testing and dealing with handling exceptions than I do writing "normal" code.
Not to mention, logging.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Website usability. It is amazing how it comes and goes. And when companies started to optimize for tablets and smartphones, design took a huge dump and has gotten worse.

And I get needing two factor authentication for banks and other places where keeping your money safe is needed. But some sites just go overboard when not needed.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I can manage what ever problems I'm having by accessing their system.

At least when your interned goes down you call the number and the recording says 'please visit our website at...'. Confused

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Oof. Just reminded me of two years ago when our corporate switched expense report service provider. Old system was easy. Have receipt, claim it. Tack on the per diem. Upload receipts and go. New system was a complete 180. And no training offered or provided out side a really simple how to claim you business lunch. When you are deployed overseas, and only your fellow coworker to help who is also lost, a 1-800 number would be nice. Good thing the new vendor scrubbed that from their site in time for the roll out. After 3 hours and at least one good mental break down, I had to walk away. It took someone to explain that I had to wait for the charges to the corporate card to populate in the system before I could claim them, coupled with many added steps for each itemized claim, and a more detailed header that at least mostly carries over to each additional claim for that deployment. After 6 more claim, I felt I figured out the system. But still pissed they took down the 1-800 number for help on figuring out the new system. I have noticed it is up now.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Oof. Just reminded me of two years ago when our corporate switched expense report service provider. Old system was easy. Have receipt, claim it. Tack on the per diem. Upload receipts and go. New system was a complete 180. And no training offered or provided out side a really simple how to claim you business lunch. When you are deployed overseas, and only your fellow coworker to help who is also lost, a 1-800 number would be nice. Good thing the new vendor scrubbed that from their site in time for the roll out. After 3 hours and at least one good mental break down, I had to walk away. It took someone to explain that I had to wait for the charges to the corporate card to populate in the system before I could claim them, coupled with many added steps for each itemized claim, and a more detailed header that at least mostly carries over to each additional claim for that deployment. After 6 more claim, I felt I figured out the system. But still pissed they took down the 1-800 number for help on figuring out the new system. I have noticed it is up now.

Sounds like Concur

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Sounds like Concur

Beat me to it

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is The Greenville (S.C.) news by the way and owned by Gannet(sp?). I've actually sent the CEO a letter about the following and never got a response.

When I get home my new bill from the newspaper will show a credit for the time I suspended the subscription... this will be 10% of what I paid... I spent a year complaining about this to no avail and then one day it dawned on me what the problem was. (yes, I'm slow) in their billing software program someone has accidentally put a decimal point "." in front of the daily subscription amount or such and that is where the 10% evolves....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

Sounds like Concur

Bingo.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

posted Hide Post
Older versions of concur were easy to use. The last few, NOT.

I was happy we moved away from Concur earlier this year.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I can often tell the nationality/education background of the programmer on industrial software (in particular)- often by what DOESN’T happen.

For example, back in the early 80’s I worked in GE’s Nuclear division for a project after the military. I operated a robotic device that pulled and verified reactor rods for new fuel bundle assembly. Once you had selected a rod(s) and were ready to submit the profile to a criticality database- it gave you two choices- “Y” for yes, and “N” for no. BUT- if you accidentally pushed ANY OTHER KEY… the program would immediately crash and would have to be rebooted. I reported this, but in my time there the bug was never fixed.

So, technically, the program DID actually do what was requested by the programming contract specs, but the work was sloppy and other key selections should have been excluded during selections. I have noticed since that certain programmers do similar “sloppy” work. but on the positive side, other programmers exceed the requirements and go beyond the basic and do fantastic and elegant work, learning the flowcharts, anticipating and suggesting improvements.

Often you notice web sites (particularly gubbmint) that make you wonder what the heck they were thinking when they designed the site.
Not intuitive, nor logical, poor flow, etc. Same for computers and phones.

I’ll leave the nationality determinations up to your imagination.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I can often tell the nationality/education background of the programmer on industrial software (in particular)- often by what DOESN’T happen.

For example, back in the early 80’s I worked in GE’s Nuclear division for a project after the military. I operated a robotic device that pulled and verified reactor rods for new fuel bundle assembly. Once you had selected a rod(s) and were ready to submit the profile to a criticality database- it gave you two choices- “Y” for yes, and “N” for no. BUT- if you accidentally pushed ANY OTHER KEY… the program would immediately crash and would have to be rebooted. I reported this, but in my time there the bug was never fixed.

So, technically, the program DID actually do what was requested by the programming contract specs, but the work was sloppy and other key selections should have been excluded during selections. I have noticed since that certain programmers do similar “sloppy” work. but on the positive side, other programmers exceed the requirements and go beyond the basic and do fantastic and elegant work, learning the flowcharts, anticipating and suggesting improvements.

Often you notice web sites (particularly gubbmint) that make you wonder what the heck they were thinking when they designed the site.

When programming, you have to program in a way to save the average person from himself.

In your yes/no scenario, the programmer told the program what to do if you selected either yes or no, but he/she failed to tell it what to do if any other key was pushed. Typical rookie mistake.

I never had to deal with tight specs on a program fortunately, but if they proposed something iffy, I'd tell them before getting into a contract with them. That solved a lot of problems before they happened.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The programs where I work have windows that can't be resized. Seemed like no big deal back when the software was written for Windows 98.

How many scroll bars can you get to hunt the info? How many decades will it take for them to fix it? I'll retire before that happens.

quote:
I can often tell the nationality/education background of the programmer on industrial software (in particular)- often by what DOESN’T happen...

No.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean like yesterday, Oct 15th, where the IRS website reported that major portions of the website would be unavailable “for maintenance.” Because, you know, the second most important date for taxpayers is the perfect day to pull down resources the public may need.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Interesting you mention that-

I had to do something on one of the gubbmint sites a few weeks ago. No matter what browser I used, I got this warning-

After a bit I realized that I had tried on windows 10... Edge, Firefox, Chrome and another I forget- On a Macbook Pro (current OS), I tried Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Brave, and another I forget. Anything I tried on the windows platform would crash when I tried to save the current data on any browser. All OS and browsers had the latest updates.

ALL of them gave the same “unsupported browser” error. I eventually was able to enter the data and actually save it by ignoring the warning and using Safari. (Everything else crashed at the save point across three different computers).

How many average folks ya think are going to have multiple platform options?
This is a US government site.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had totally forgotten that many years ago I added a second hard rive to a desk top computer of mine and then could not access it .... looked in the installation manual under trouble shooting and low and behold the first problem mentioned was that the computer / operating software does not recognize the new hard drive. I was excited until I read the next part... "for your convenience we have installed a driver on the new hard drive that you can download so that it can be accessed."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"